Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    How do we know that it wasn't DC top-brass and editorial knee-capping some of those projects which never quite came to fruition? History will eventually tell the tale of the tape. I'm willing to give Johns some benefit of the doubt.
    I'm usually willing to give Johns the benefit of the doubt too but the constant delays with the book (coupled with him jumping ship to his own imprint) and execution of this run has left me sour.

Extraordinary Member

How do we know that it wasn't DC top-brass and editorial knee-capping some of those projects which never quite came to fruition? History will eventually tell the tale of the tape. I'm willing to give Johns some benefit of the doubt.
    He had similar delays in his Shazam book if I recall.
    I can’t quite remember the last Johns comics that stayed consistently on schedule.

And he will write 3 books for GHOST? How it can be possible??

There's an interesting quote from Geoff Johns in an interview he did two months ago: "the key honestly is that we control the schedule. When we did Geiger and Junkyard Joe, it's been for the most part shipped on time. You know when you work with other companies they have, like, fourth quarterly-- you know, numbers they need to hit. So, a lot of the times your book will be moved up from like April of the year to November because they want those first two issues and then you're always behind. You don't get to control the schedule." (x)

To me, this doesn't sound like examples that manifested out of nowhere. The New Golden Age and Justice Society of America #1 both came out in November 2022 but could it be that the JSA ongoing was born late, so to speak? As in, it was meant for April 2023 (with the TNGA primer coming out in November) and they've just never quite caught up after hurrying to get that first issue done. Just a thought!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbauer View Post
    I would wager he’s built up some slack issues while he was supposed to be doing this book, indies have more common delays and his own financial ass is on the line if it fails

Well he has done it before. I do think the scheduling problems are most likely more DC's fault than his. Unfortunately it has still hurt my impression of this current JSA series. It's a shame that this is how he's leaving DC. On a down note.

Quote Originally Posted by fatebuddy27 View Post
    There's an interesting quote from Geoff Johns in an interview he did two months ago: "the key honestly is that we control the schedule. When we did Geiger and Junkyard Joe, it's been for the most part shipped on time. You know when you work with other companies they have, like, fourth quarterly-- you know, numbers they need to hit. So, a lot of the times your book will be moved up from like April of the year to November because they want those first two issues and then you're always behind. You don't get to control the schedule." (x)

To me, this doesn't sound like examples that manifested out of nowhere. The New Golden Age and Justice Society of America #1 both came out in November 2022 but could it be that the JSA ongoing was born late, so to speak? As in, it was meant for April 2023 (with the TNGA primer coming out in November) and they've just never quite caught up after hurrying to get that first issue done. Just a thought!
    Yeah.. I think the same.. DC like all the others Company have a monthly goal and Geoff Jhons books always are best sellers, so they are holding Future books . DC even relaunch the 3 First issue like a month ago.k

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    He had similar delays in his Shazam book if I recall.
    I can’t quite remember the last Johns comics that stayed consistently on schedule.
    New 52 Justice League came out on time I think. After Rebirth it was all downhill.

Fantastic Member

Just to add to fatebuddy27's point, something very similar has happened recently with Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch's Superman: The Last Days of Lex Luthor and its own delays(see link below with Hitch's own words on the matter) We're so quick to pile up on the writers and artists, but shouldn't we at least consider that, in some instances, these talents are very much at the whims of corporate and editorial?

https://x.com/thebryanhitch/status/1...487sLx_4UoiJsQ
    Last edited by Stingo; 02-01-2024 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    New 52 Justice League came out on time I think. After Rebirth it was all downhill.
    Which I'm pretty lines up with when he got more into the whole t.v. show development thing. Before that he definitely had long stretches of on time books and writing more than one a month. At the beginning of the New 52 he was writing both Justice League and Aquaman and they were both on time.

Just to add to fatebuddy27's point, something very similar has happened recently with Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch's Superman: The Last Days of Lex Luthor and its own delays(see link below with Hitch's own words on the matter) We're so quick to pile up on the writers and artists, but shouldn't we at least consider that, in some instances, these talents are very much at the whims of corporate and editorial?

That's a very good point, I hadn't seen that before! It seems to be just about the same situation Geoff was referencing, with Hitch saying "I suspect, it came out because it had to fall into some financial quarter/year or period".

Incredible Member

If you don't count the gap between Stargirl Springbreak Special and Stargirl and the Lost Children #1, the later came out in time most of the times. There were a few delays, but those ones were just one or two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    At the beginning of the New 52 he was writing both Justice League and Aquaman and they were both on time.
    He was also writing Green Lantern . I am pretty sure at some point he was writing 4 ongoings at the same time. Or maybe it was Dan Abnett.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

But when one writer's books keep being delayed over many, many years, you start to realize what the common denominator is.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    After Flash: Rebirth, Johns did an ongoing series with Barry in the lead that was short-circuited by the new 52. But even before that, the issues kept dropping right off the schedule. This was all the way back in 2010-2011.
    Last edited by PennyDreadful; 02-01-2024 at 03:05 PM.

Ultimate Member

Depends on how far advance those stories are.

In other words how many scripts have been submitted and approved and sent to the artist and are in the can before the book launched?

Ultimate Member

Questions are going to back asked when it's the same writer every time.

Right now it's mainly one person's set of books.

I could excuse if we are talking 10 books with different creatives but mainly one guy?

Is it him or is it the company?

And why? Is there a bigger project in the works?

Is there a JSA and Milestone crossover that we don't know about? Since those books have just stopped as well.