Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default WB and Paramount in merger talks

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/wa...ks-1235847958/

Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount Global have held talks about a potential merger of the two media companies, Variety has confirmed.

Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav met with Paramount Global CEO Bob Bakish in a lunch meeting Tuesday in New York where they discussed a possible merger, sources said. Zaslav also has talked with Shari Redstone, whose National Amusements Inc. owns a controlling stake in Paramount Global, about a potential combination of the companies.

Terms of a possible merger of the companies could not be learned. Both companies have enlisted bankers but the status of the talks are described as very preliminary. As of the end of Q3, Paramount Global reported long-term debt of $15.6 billion, considerably less than WBD — whose debt load stood at $43.5 billion. But in terms of market value, Warner Bros. Discovery is the bigger fish, with a market capitalization of $28.4 billion as of close of trading Dec. 20 compared with $10.3 billion for Paramount Global.

Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount would be looking to pool their assets, which span TV, film, sports and streaming, to gain greater scale and operational efficiencies. Specifically, WBD and Paramount would have an interest in combining their Max and Paramount+ premium streaming services to better compete with the likes of Netflix and Disney’s Disney+ and Hulu.

On the film side, Warner Bros. Discovery would acquire top-tier properties from Paramount Pictures, including such film franchises as Terminator, Transformers, Mission: Impossible, Top Gun, A Quiet Place, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Godfather, Paranormal Activity, Scream and Star Trek film franchises. The Warner Bros. Pictures stable includes the DC Extended Universe films, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movie franchises.
    ...and the plot thickens.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I fully expect Comcast to jump in to pursue WBD. There was rumors they were eyeing the company months ago. (I think its possibly a reason to spurn them to jump into this soon)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Well if Max gets the Paramount Plus catalog that's one less streaming service for me. So there is a bright side.

Other studios want in looks like. A bidding war is coming!

Also, wb and paramount having a meeting.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/warner-...ks-1235679104/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-20-2023 at 06:10 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't want to see a merger. There's enough consolidation in the industry. WB should sell IP and divisions they have no use for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Well if Max gets the Paramount Plus catalog that's one less streaming service for me. So there is a bright side.
    Wouldn't it be the other way around? WBD is merging into Paramount Global, right?

Either way, this kinda sucks because both companies are the kings of making unreleased media for tax write offs.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

No surprise both companies are doing poorly. I have been trying to tell people on here this while everyone has been going after Disney, these other studios despite having a few hits are getting crushed. I dont know what the future here is. This is WBS third separation/ merger in less than 10 years if it happens.

Boisterously Confused

Bad news for Star Trek fans if it happens given Zaslav's track record with the DC properties.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    No surprise both companies are doing poorly. I have been trying to tell people on here this while everyone has been going after Disney, these other studios despite having a few hits are getting crushed. I dont know what the future here is. This is WBS third separation/ merger in less than 10 years if it happens.
    True. As this industry consolidates, I imagine we can look forward to choices between more ads or subscription fee increases.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Wouldn't it be the other way around? WBD is merging into Paramount Global, right?

Either way, this kinda sucks because both companies are the kings of making unreleased media for tax write offs.

WSJ reports that Paramount's parent, National Amusements, has been considering selling them. So it's Max that would end up owning Paramount if this happens.

Boisterously Confused

duplicate post

It would be wb getting paramount unless a bidding war starts. Than wb loses. Would the government be ok with the same studio owning two of the three biggest kids channels in america? Isn't that a monopoly?

Pretty scary, although I guess this is the norm
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Update looks like paramount is the one who started the talk. WB wants to merge and will get "everything" but the other studios want paramount to sell things they don't want first.

This is a huge advantage to wb as no extra work needs to be done.

Mighty Member

Not sure how I feel about this. A company with massive debt merging with another company with massive debt? And with DZ's method of cutting and slashing slicing and dicing at will, any hopes of getting that 4th Trek Kelvin film or any streaming live or animated project seem to be DOA. James Gunn must be feeling a tinge of regret not staying with Marvel.

Another company for Zaslav to destroy all the good shows. Great.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!