Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Original xmen #1 for lack of better term review. $5 for a weapons of x preview

What's there to say. Greg land dose his best work tracing himself trace points mags. Nothing of relevance happens. This is a preview for weapons of x that cost 5 bucks. That's it.

If you want any more information go here for review by someone to explane how bad this is. I can't remember anything of value becaue I skimmed through it in my comic book store and viewed wasting money on this as a mistake.

https://www.comicsxf.com/2023/12/21/original-xmen-1/

If this is ment to set the tone for the 2024 x books. Expect a full relaunch after it starts due to the line faling

If the cast on the cover was used just to set up someone else no cast could have saved it - even a cast made up only of whoever your most beloved characters might be.
    Dark does not mean deep.

This really was easily the worst X book of the week and I don't think I'll be picking up 'Jean and the Wolverines'. Nostalgia bait at it's worst.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

I was actually enjoying the story, but then I realized it was just a 5.99 set up issue for Weapon X-Men.
    I felt a bit cheated and taken advantage of as a loyal reader.
    Mutant and Proud!

Apparently I am the only one who liked this.
    I think the relationship between the O5 was well captured, you could see they care for each other (both as teens and as adults). Characterization was spot on for me, for all of them. I got a feel of the old relationships that were somehow put aside in the Krakoa era. There was the right amount of banter and all in all the love that links these five people, up to the very end. I can't understand how a fan of the O5 couldn't like this, seriously.
    Spot on adult!Warren. After years in which he's portrayed as useless even in his Archangel form, is refreshing to see someone show on page that he's supposed to be a fucking good flier and his agility and speed in air is something he excels in.
    The story could exist and not exist, it wouldn’t change anything, but I liked it. I don’t care all the people saying it was dumb or useless. It was entertaining and the characters felt alive - not emotionless robots.

I think as a one shot it was good, characters wise. The finale feels like those old What Ifs that usually ended up with death and destruction so I'm not that much irked by it (I think there was no way to savage that Earth, after what was done by those X-Men, so them going all down "in a blaze of glory" fits.

The dumb part is that it actually wasn't a one shot. I will pretend Jean sacrificed herself and killed that Onslaught/Phoenix and be done with it.

Won't comment on the art. Land is so divisive that it isn't worth the time to raise the argument again. Just... bonus point for Land tracing a whole-ass statue for Warren (the Angel Sideshow Comiquette. No wonder the Warren in this title was so good, that statue is awesome)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    I was actually enjoying the story, but then I realized it was just a 5.99 set up issue for Weapon X-Men.
    I felt a bit cheated and taken advantage of as a loyal reader.
    I think this summarize what is wrong with this book. Which isn't the story or the characters but its use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    If the cast on the cover was used just to set up someone else no cast could have saved it - even a cast made up only of whoever your most beloved characters might be.
    Amen.

All in all, I think the O5 in the year in which they blew 60 candles deserved a one-shot for them and them all. Not to be used to prop another character (variants of a character that don't need a push in the first place!).
    At this point, they could've established a powered-up O5 future team (perhaps take the future!time-displaced! that were seen by Magneto in X-Men Blue, and send them after Onslaught). Warren powered up by the Black Vortex or ascended(power levels he got during Dark Angel Saga), Bobby and Jean full omega, Scott's power maxed up (with him controlling his beam without the visor) and Hank.. well, I don't know about it but I0m sure there's a way for him as well (like the Hank from Krakoa, if necessary). Why not? Why that dumb team?
    Last edited by Hakka84; 12-21-2023 at 01:28 PM.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

I thought it was okay, but still a really weird choice given where the line is right now. I can think of a dozen other stories tied into Fall of X that I would have been more excited to see. That being said, it was good enough for some light entertainment and I enjoyed the cheesy 90s-esque Onslaught reveal. The O5 were pretty well-written too and it was fun to see them using their future knowledge to strategise.

I am a bit confused though - wasn’t a character meant to be stuck in the present after this?
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Thanks for the thread. I was going to make my own review thread, but I didn't want to buy or read the book, or even write about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    I thought it was okay, but still a really weird choice given where the line is right now. I can think of a dozen other stories tied into Fall of X that I would have been more excited to see. That being said, it was good enough for some light entertainment and I enjoyed the cheesy 90s-esque Onslaught reveal. The O5 were pretty well-written too and it was fun to see them using their future knowledge to strategise.

I am a bit confused though - wasn’t a character meant to be stuck in the present after this?
    Same. I thought it was fine. Looking forward to the Weapon X-men mini series, though.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

In the Future O5 Return

What solicit is this from? We really don't need the O5 brought forward in time again. It literally happened yesterday.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    What solicit is this from? We really don't need the O5 brought forward in time again. It literally happened yesterday.
    Rob Teaser In Deapool

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Apparently I am the only one who liked this.
    I think the relationship between the O5 was well captured, you could see they care for each other (both as teens and as adults). Characterization was spot on for me, for all of them. I got a feel of the old relationships that were somehow put aside in the Krakoa era. There was the right amount of banter and all in all the love that links these five people, up to the very end. I can't understand how a fan of the O5 couldn't like this, seriously.
    Spot on adult!Warren. After years in which he's portrayed as useless even in his Archangel form, is refreshing to see someone show on page that he's supposed to be a fucking good flier and his agility and speed in air is something he excels in.
    The story could exist and not exist, it wouldn’t change anything, but I liked it. I don’t care all the people saying it was dumb or useless. It was entertaining and the characters felt alive - not emotionless robots.

I think as a one shot it was good, characters wise. The finale feels like those old What Ifs that usually ended up with death and destruction so I'm not that much irked by it (I think there was no way to savage that Earth, after what was done by those X-Men, so them going all down "in a blaze of glory" fits.

The dumb part is that it actually wasn't a one shot. I will pretend Jean sacrificed herself and killed that Onslaught/Phoenix and be done with it.

Won't comment on the art. Land is so divisive that it isn't worth the time to raise the argument again. Just... bonus point for Land tracing a whole-ass statue for Warren (the Angel Sideshow Comiquette. No wonder the Warren in this title was so good, that statue is awesome)
    I kinda agree with you. I say "kinda" because there's so much to hate in this comic, but at the same time I'm so starved of seeing X-Men behaving like friends who deeply love each other that I can't resist this hot mess.

I do wonder, though, if I'd feel differently if this comic had been released in the 80s or 90s... Probably. I think even the good parts are only good because everything around is so... meh.

As for Warren, I'm with you. I *love* him and I'm so tired of the treatment he's got in this Krakoa era. Again... it probably made me more tolerant to this issue than I should.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    In the Future O5 Return

Liefeild or Morrison... I can't decide which of the two is the worst the artist or the writer...
    Last edited by Micabe; 12-21-2023 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Thought ammendment(s).

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    In the Future O5 Return

I don't hate the idea of this, although I wish Liefeld had a co-writer to make it a bit more compelling.

But my understanding is that this project might have been shelved following the recent reshuffle in the X-office.

This Liefeld series won't impact anything. His minis never do.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”