Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'll take even Liefeld for some Warren content. *beggars can't be choosers*
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

The comic was okay. Not really great, but also far from terrible. It did the job that it was supposed to, basically just to keep the X-Men comics going until the new regime takes over the X-Men line, and try to be entertaining while it did so. The price of the comic took a little of the enjoyment away.
    I get why some readers are upset that the O5 were used to set up a miniseries that will star a different cast of characters. I wish that the Wolverine cast would have been used to set this story up so the new comic could just hit the ground running.

At least this upcoming Weapon X-Men comic will be allowed to tell it's own story. To many of the Fall of X miniseries have basically been caught spinning their wheels. Some leaving the character or characters in the exact same place that they started in. Other miniseries like Dark X-Men seem to have had rewrites occur half way through the comic leaving plot holes, dropped plots, and unexplained character development. Weapon X-Men can just tell it's story while getting to ignore Fall of X.

I have to say that I disagree with a lot that was said in that review from comicsfx.com that was linked to in this first post. I agree that nostalgia just for the sake of nostalgia is bad. I get that a lot of people are still upset that Krakoa era will be gone. But in my view keeping Krakoa around after it's shelf life has expired would also be nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. Better to end it now than do what the X-Men comics did when first Claremont and then Morrison left the comics and hold onto their ideas way to long after they left.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

The good or interesting parts from Original X-Men #1 (and from my perspective)...

Teen Jean being able to hurt Onslaught (or Jeanslaught lol) by reproducing a move that she and Xavier had performed against the Z'Nox.

The Jean who was possessed by Onslaught destroying that world trying to kill Onslaught (unfortunately, he escaped into the multiverse).

Liked the acknowledgement that there are realities where Jean never lost control with the Phoenix.

Liked how they acknowledged that Jean really was manipulating realities in the Jean Grey solo. Purple Phoenix tells Teen Jean that there are other realities where she mindwiped Magneto and it never goes well seemed like a clear nod to Jean Grey #1 and Gages' notes at the end confirm this.

The bad...

Hank throwing up because he can't handle being flown around by Warren!?

Warren not being able to fly because a few feathers were plucked (I realize some feathers are important for flying but still...)

Jeanslaught killing Scott.

Onslaught being in this story at all. lol

The convolution with a good Purple Phoenix and a bad purple Phoenix.

If the Phoenix Force never came to that world, how did Onslaught know to mimic it? How did that Jean, after Onslaught left her, know about much less how to contact good Purple Phoenix in the White Hot Room? Glaring plot holes, no?

Also unnecessary mention of the '86 retcon. Jean has acknowledged responsibility for Dark Phoenix in Trial of Jean Grey and Judgment Day among other stories, so why try to contradict this? Also, in 616, the Phoenix did ask to bond with Jean and she did consent to it. This is shown in Classic X-Men #8. Jean even mentions that she had summoned the Phoenix and allowed their souls to merge when she recounted the shuttle incident in Uncanny 387. Jean mentioned having been a part of Phoenix/Dark Phoenix in X-Men Red #1 when she speaks with Black Panther. Of course Inferno was all about how a part of the real Jean Grey had bonded with the Phoenix and returned to her during that storyline. So its quite misleading to act like the Phoenix merely replaced Jean.
    Last edited by PhoenixStudies; 12-21-2023 at 08:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I don't hate the idea of this, although I wish Liefeld had a co-writer to make it a bit more compelling.

But my understanding is that this project might have been shelved following the recent reshuffle in the X-office.
    Saddle him with Morrison they should work well together

This was boring.

Unglaublich!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    The good or interesting parts from Original X-Men #1 (and from my perspective)...

Teen Jean being able to hurt Onslaught (or Jeanslaught lol) by reproducing a move that she and Xavier had performed against the Z'Nox.

The Jean who was possessed by Onslaught destroying that world trying to kill Onslaught (unfortunately, he escaped into the multiverse).

Liked the acknowledgement that there are realities where Jean never lost control with the Phoenix.

Liked how they acknowledged that Jean really was manipulating realities in the Jean Grey solo. Purple Phoenix tells Teen Jean that there are other realities where she mindwiped Magneto and it never goes well seemed like a clear nod to Jean Grey #1 and Gages' notes at the end confirm this.

The bad...

Hank throwing up because he can't handle being flown around by Warren!?

Warren not being able to fly because a few feathers were plucked (I realize some feathers are important for flying but still...)
    When Callisto kidnapped Warren (back when the Morlocks were first introduced), she started removing feathers and Storm noted that, without these pin feathers, he'd be crippled and unable to fly. I'm guessing this was a callback to that.

So who stayed behind? As the solicits said.

Isnt Jean? Kinda

So the thing is Mags Kills Charles and declares War of the A and the X in they early days.

Jean wipe out Mags mind so she basically did the Fatal Atractions thingie. Now this Onslaugth has Charles Powers- Mags Powers and her powers. So yeah pretty f!"1 up.

But as a whole issue it was kinda boring

It was awful.
    Very expository dialogues, bad jokes, and no interesting motivation.

The only good thing is that they didn't bring back the Bendis' OG X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    The only good thing is that they didn't bring back the Bendis' OG X-men.
    Yes, that's absolutely a good thing. I didn't hate them, but they hung around too long and we definitely don't need them back again.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Isnt Jean? Kinda

So the thing is Mags Kills Charles and declares War of the A and the X in they early days.

Jean wipe out Mags mind so she basically did the Fatal Atractions thingie. Now this Onslaugth has Charles Powers- Mags Powers and her powers. So yeah pretty f!"1 up.

But as a whole issue it was kinda boring
    This Onslaught shouldn't have Xavier's powers...Xavier already died...it's a gestalt of Jean and Magneto this time instead of Xavier and Magneto

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post

Also unnecessary mention of the '86 retcon. Jean has acknowledged responsibility for Dark Phoenix in Trial of Jean Grey and Judgment Day among other stories, so why try to contradict this? Also, in 616, the Phoenix did ask to bond with Jean and she did consent to it. This is shown in Classic X-Men #8. Jean even mentions that she had summoned the Phoenix and allowed their souls to merge when she recounted the shuttle incident in Uncanny 387. Jean mentioned having been a part of Phoenix/Dark Phoenix in X-Men Red #1 when she speaks with Black Panther. Of course Inferno was all about how a part of the real Jean Grey had bonded with the Phoenix and returned to her during that storyline. So its quite misleading to act like the Phoenix merely replaced Jean.
    Yeah it's annoying...it would have made much more sense to instead say the difference wasn't due to "consent", since there was still a proposal, and consent was given...but rather that despite the consent, a part of our Jean still refused(as shown in Classic X-Men #8)..this is what led to the original body still remaining, surprising the newly merged Jean/Phoenix...a spark of Jean still fighting on her own terms...so Jean/Phoenix placed original Jean in the Healing cocoon.

Either way I also don't like that this issue's accounting of what happened completely leaves out the Hellfire Club/Mastermind manipulation

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    When Callisto kidnapped Warren (back when the Morlocks were first introduced), she started removing feathers and Storm noted that, without these pin feathers, he'd be crippled and unable to fly. I'm guessing this was a callback to that.
    Yeah, his pin feathers, Chris meant his primary feathers, not pin feathers. Another sign of a book written before the internet made research a doddle.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Yeah, his pin feathers, Chris meant his primary feathers, not pin feathers. Another sign of a book written before the internet made research a doddle.
    To be fair, even writers today might easily make such mistakes and the reasons can be myriad.

For example, they might be very sure they recall the term correctly, they might have their mind focused on other parts they are writing, they aren't commited to make sure such details are correct and so on.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    To be fair, even writers today might easily make such mistakes and the reasons can be myriad.

For example, they might be very sure they recall the term correctly, they might have their mind focused on other parts they are writing, they aren't commited to make sure such details are correct and so on.
    True, and you can’t interrupt the creative flow to check everything.