Page 286 of 347 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288289290296336 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 5204

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    We just going to legalize both of them in an attempt to keep religion out of our government?
    Keeping religion out of the government has been more or less France’s position on the subject since the Revolution…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Serious question...

Exactly how far are you planning on taking that?

"You Shall Not Murder..."/"You Shall Not Steal..." are both right there in The Ten Commandments.

We just going to legalize both of them in an attempt to keep religion out of our government?
    You don't need religion to think think that stealing and murdering are bad. The idea that religion has the morality market cornered is a strange myth.

It's like quote from Penn Jilllete of Penn and teller fame, "The question I get asked by religious people all the time is, without God, what’s to stop me from raping all I want? What Stops me from murdering people? And my answer is: I do rape all I want. And the amount I want is zero. And I do murder all I want, and the amount I want is zero. The fact that these people think that if they didn’t have this person watching over them that they would go on killing, raping rampages is the most self-damning thing I can imagine."
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Bad news from Slovakia,where Peter Pellegrini beat the more pro-west, anti-Putin candidate Ivan Korcok in presidential elections. Pellegrini is one of the "UKraine needs to make concessions and we can't keep giving weapons to them" folks.
    God how I hate this hellhole. We're basically a smaller Orbanistan by now.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Serious question...

"You Shall Not Murder..."/"You Shall Not Steal..." are both right there in The Ten Commandments.

Read about the Code of Hamarabi and get back to us.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's like quote from Penn Jilllete of Penn and teller fame, "The question I get asked by religious people all the time is, without God, what’s to stop me from raping all I want? What Stops me from murdering people? And my answer is: I do rape all I want. And the amount I want is zero. And I do murder all I want, and the amount I want is zero. The fact that these people think that if they didn’t have this person watching over them that they would go on killing, raping rampages is the most self-damning thing I can imagine."
    I had a catholic education and I remember asking a priest once: “If you are a nice person all your life and be kind and generous to the others but you don’t believe in God, are you going to paradise?”

He thought a moment and said: “Yes, but it’s a pity.”
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I had a catholic education and I remember asking a priest once: “If you are a nice person all your life and be kind and generous to the others but you don’t believe in God, are you going to paradise?”

I was always taught it's possible, but don't count on it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

I don't see why? You would obviously then believe in God for thr rest of eternity. What does a few decades matter to a being who has been around at least 15 billion years?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't see why? You would obviously then believe in God for thr rest of eternity. What does a few decades matter to a being who has been around at least 15 billion years?
    Ah, but by this rationale, how is eternal damnation ever possibly justified? However long you lived on earth as the most evil person alive, how would those decades balance against billions of years of torment?

Eternal Hell is obviously the worst threat ever, but it only makes sense in an unjust universe.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Because God can't look upon sin. (How you square this with omnipotence I don't know. But contradictions abound in religion.)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Ah, but by this rationale, how is eternal damnation ever possibly justified? However long you lived on earth as the most evil person alive, how would those decades balance against billions of years of torment?

Eternal Hell is obviously the worst threat ever, but it only makes sense in an unjust universe.
    The Epicurus quote is ever relevant.

Serious question...

Are you kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Are you kidding me.
    He said it's a "serious question "

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He said it's a "serious question "
    I agree that it's looking very serious.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I agree that it's looking very serious.
    One man's serious is another man's Not-serious.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Serious question...

We don't make theft and murder crimes because the Bible says so. We make them crimes because theft deprives another person of their property and murder deprives another person of their life. Amazing that I have to explain that.
    Watching television is not an activity.