Page 147 of 341 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197247 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 5107

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    So, if a fertilized egg fails to embed in the uterine wall, is the woman guilty of manslaughter?

Or does it have to have advanced to the embryo stage?

I'm confused.

Also, can we start freezing children when they misbehave, or the parents want to go on a vacation alone?
    IT doesn't have to be consistent, it just has to be there to use as a weapon against women when the GOP needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The Alabama court seems to be run by madmen though. Not sure if any religion tries to state that life starts THAT early. The Old Testament doesn't even consider anyone alive until the draw their first breath, at least if I am remembering correctly. It's been a long time since I have read more than a few passages.
    Causing a miscarriage through negligence meant you owed the woman money.

Honestly, the Bible barely cares about children who have been born, but not reached adulthood yet.

There are going to be plenty of other as yet unforeseen consequences.

They overproduce embryos at clinics, to increase chances of a successful pregnancy. Plenty of extras left around.

The level of stupid here is mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    On a more serious note, if this becomes the standard in Red States, Fertility Clinics will be going out of business as fast as women's health clinics. Insurance companies won't cover them and the risk is too high that they could be charged with murder for simply doing their job.
    Of course, once you force women who can't afford / don't want to have children to have them, the next step is to prevent those who DO want them from being able to have them.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Slava Ukraini!

Slava Ukraini!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

But Tucker and Republicans are telling me this is a just reason for Putin. How could they be wrong ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    How in hell can a freaking embryo bear the image of God? Did somebody look at the embryos under a microscope to see if there was a resemblance? Are you kidding me? This nonsense has got to stop!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    How in hell can a freaking embryo bear the image of God? Did somebody look at the embryos under a microscope to see if there was a resemblance? Are you kidding me? This nonsense has got to stop!
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Anyone who runs for, or holds, a public office that is meant to represent ALL of the people, but who put their religious dogma ahead of the good of the nation (REGARDLESS of whether that nation adheres to your dogma) should be removed from office and barred from running again. They’ve betrayed their oath to defend America by putting it behind their devotion to a magic book of faerie tales.

Religious extremists should not be allowed to run for office.

Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Exactly what the Bible qualifies as often depends on what part you are looking at. The YouTube channel Useful Charts has a series of episodes about when each book was written, starting with the Old Testament and eventually hitting even the lesser known books only found in the other Christian faiths - like the Ethiopian version.

It wasn't put to writing until the Iron Age, although the first 5 books are likely what survives from the older oral traditions. It's also thought that it might be from 2 separate groups that came together, explaining many of the contradictions in the earlier books. The later doomsday books in both the Old and New testaments are also best seen through the lens of when they were written - Revelations was most likely written during the time of Nero, and is best seen through that lens.

Actually, Useful Charts has a several videos on religion. The guy behind the channel has a degree in religious studies, so he does appear to know what he is talking about.

The Alabama court seems to be run by madmen though. Not sure if any religion tries to state that life starts THAT early. The Old Testament doesn't even consider anyone alive until the draw their first breath, at least if I am remembering correctly. It's been a long time since I have read more than a few passages.
    Roy Moore was twice Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, so it's a reminder that this is not a respected legal body.

Their entire argument that is not about making policy but interpreting the state constitution is undercut by the reference to religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Would you do it? Bombing hospitals full of innocent people because your enemy is hiding among them while saying it’s your enemy’s fault, that he was using a disingenuous tactic?

It looks like not assuming the responsabilities of their own actions, which is kindergarten level…
    Hamas using Palestinians as human shields should not be a cheat code.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    My Zoomer nephew was telling me the other day that apparently, a lot of people his age think Tucker is hot.

And I just stared at him for a minute, and asked if he understood now why people tend to disregard the opinions of people his age..
    First I've heard that explanation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

Right wing Christian white nationalism is the Republican goal — regardless of the Constitution.

Republicans want us to be a 'Christian Nationalist' country. Alito just recently spoke out against Obergefell.

They're coming for the hard-earned rights and protections that have been afforded to those not straight, white, and cis male.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Republicans want us to be a 'Christian Nationalist' country. Alito just recently spoke out against Obergefell.

They're coming for the hard-earned rights and protections that have been afforded to those not straight, white, and cis male.
    I’m sure Loving v. Virginia is in the crosshairs as well. After all, no mixing the races, that’s bad.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend Michele Goldberg’s KINGDOM COMING: THE RISE OF CHRISTIAN NATIONALISM. I read it twenty years ago, almost, and she researches the origins of Dominionism, the Seven Mountains theology that laid the groundwork for it, and the people who are pushing it. She interviews fundamentalists, and manages to maintain a relatively neutral tone in her interactions, which let her get more information.

Fascinating, as someone who watched my Baptist church go from a church that taught God’s love and Jesus’ sacrifice for us all to a church that valued prosperity and taking over America for Jesus. I WATCHED my church fall to Dominionist bullshit, and had to sit through an altar call and a prosperity doctrine sermon at my grandfather’s funeral. My aunt, mom, cousins and I all told them that if they pulled that **** at my gramma’s funeral, there would be a riot.

‘Christian’ extremists have wrenched the steering wheel away from Christ’s message and handed it to Mammon Trump, because they are witnessing their attendance numbers dropping, they are watching as the world moves past our need for magic faerie tale books that tell us how to act (while repeatedly being used to justify atrocity). They are seeing their political party consume itself. And they are desperate to enact their final solution - turning America into a ‘christian’ theocracy by any means necessary - before their generation dies out and the rest of us can finally get to work fixing the stuff the Boomer generation (#NotAllBoomers…) destroyed in their greed, lust, gluttony, pride, laziness, envy, and anger…
    Last edited by zinderel; 02-20-2024 at 06:32 PM.

Ultimate Member

Conservatism over democracy.