Page 293 of 347 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293294295296297303343 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,395 of 5198
    Invincible Member

Disney files motion to dismiss Gina Carano's lawsuit

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mma...c7624d35&ei=16

Invincible Member

Cornel West still pretending to run for president picks VP...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...id/ar-BB1lp7g1

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Cornel West still pretending to run for president picks VP...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...id/ar-BB1lp7g1
    She attacked Beyoncé for posing with the star spangled banner and Taylor Swift for being white. She's not exactly balancing out that ticket.

Disney files motion to dismiss Gina Carano's lawsuit

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mma...c7624d35&ei=16
    I hope it is succesful because her stupidity should not be rewarded.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    She attacked Beyoncé for posing with the star spangled banner and Taylor Swift for being white. She's not exactly balancing out that ticket.
    For years he's gone on about reaching out to other people and routinely refers to folks as "my brother" and "my sister" but now he picks someone who really divisive. That and him jumping from party to party convinced me that he's not really serious about running.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Florida is an at-will state. Shouldn’t Disney just be able to say, ‘we fired her because we wanted to’? They didn’t fire her for her gender, race, or religion, so I don’t even see the case.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Florida is an at-will state. Shouldn’t Disney just be able to say, ‘we fired her because we wanted to’? They didn’t fire her for her gender, race, or religion, so I don’t even see the case.
    Someone under a contract might be covered under contract laws rather than basic employment laws.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Someone under a contract might be covered under contract laws rather than basic employment laws.
    I imagine that Disney's contract can be more ruthless. The Mouse is cut throat

Invincible Member

I think she's hoping they'll settle to make her go away, but I don't think it's going to work.

She's suing under California law, where retaliation for political views is not allowed.

https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/di...ed-1235966434/

Disney says there's an exception for companies like them, since they engage in speech.

Carano sued under a California law that prohibits employers from retaliating against employees for political activity.

In its motion to dismiss, Disney argued that there is a broad exception for companies whose business is to engage in speech, such as newspapers and entertainment companies. To support its argument, the company invoked a law review article and a commentary written by one of Carano’s attorneys, UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh.

“Employers that speak must necessarily speak through their employees; and when an employee or prospective employee says things, even off the job, that would undermine the employer’s message, the employer must be able to distance itself from the employee,” Volokh wrote in 2022.

Disney also cited two Supreme Court cases — Boy Scouts of America v. Dale and Hurley v. Irish-American Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Group of Boston — in which the court held that organizations could not be compelled to associate with supporters of gay rights.

“Disney thus was entitled to protect its creative speech in the ‘Star Wars’ series from association with views Disney and many viewers (and potential viewers) considered offensive and contrary to Disney’s values,” the company’s lawyers wrote. “Carano’s presence as a prominent actor on ‘The Mandalorian’ interfered with Disney’s choice not to produce a show associated with her beliefs.”

Carano has also alleged sex discrimination, arguing that Disney took no action against male actors Pedro Pascal and Mark Hamill when they made social media posts analogizing President Trump and his supporters to Nazis.

Disney argued that those statements were not comparable to Carano’s, and also that it would not matter if they were.

“The First Amendment protects Disney’s decision to dissociate itself from some speech but not from other, different speech,” the company’s lawyers wrote. “The First Amendment mandates deference to the speaker’s own decisions about what speech to associate with, even if others might consider those decisions ‘internally inconsistent’… Carano thus cannot stake out a discrimination claim by alleging that Disney accorded different treatment to different statements by different actors.”
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-11-2024 at 07:15 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I think she's hoping they'll settle to make her go away, but I don't think it's going to work.
    Stop me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Carano told by Disney to knock it off with whatever crap she had been spewing, but went on acting the fool like most Trumpers do? If that's the case, then how does she even have a leg to stand on?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Stop me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Carano told by Disney to knock it off with whatever crap she had been spewing, but went on acting the fool like most Trumpers do? If that's the case, then how does she even have a leg to stand on?
    Yes, they asked her to tone it down, but she kept at it and the final straw for them was when she suggested that being a conservative in the US these days is similar to being Jewish right before the Holocaust.

One thing I think is ironic is that Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire hired her, but DW and Disney are using the same arguments for letting go problematic figures ( in DW case Candace Owens ). That argument being, yes you have the freedom of speech but we're not obligated to pay to for offending us as your employers.

Invincible Member

I also think it's interesting that Carano who was an actual professional athlete, doesn't seem to have been in involved in DW's "Ladyballers" movie which was about trans people in women's sports.

Tim Kaine: Biden knows Netanyahu ‘played’ him in early months of Gaza war

Senator Tim Kaine, a former vice-presidential nominee and leading foreign policy voice in the Democratic party, has said Joe Biden now understands that Benjamin Netanyahu “played” him during the early months of the war in Gaza but “that ain’t going to happen any more”.

In an interview with the Guardian on Tuesday, Kaine accused the prime minister of making Israel “dramatically less safe” and hurting its longstanding relationship with the US, and said the US president had come to realise the limits of his influence.
    Kaine has repeatedly reiterated his backing for Israel’s right to defend itself against Hamas following the terrorist attack six months ago that killed 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and took about 250 people hostage. But he has joined other Democrats in expressing growing consternation over a hardline military response that has killed more than 33,000 Palestinians, according to the Gaza health ministry, and spurred a looming famine.

Biden embraced Netanyahu early in the conflict but had little to show for it as Israel continued to rain bombs on Gaza, causing mass displacement, threats of famine and disease and, last week, the deaths of seven World Central Kitchen aid workers. Protesters have condemned Biden for miscalculating the extent of his sway over Netanyahu.

Kaine reflected: “I do believe he felt like that relationship and the true compassion that he had for Israel over his career would lead him to be listened to by the Israeli leadership. I think he is enormously frustrated that he’s been trying to give advice, not like a foe would give it – ‘I think this is better for you if you listen to me. I’m not just saying this is better for me; I’m saying this will be better for you.’”
    In a 30-minute phone call last week, Biden issued a stark warning to Netanyahu that future American support for the war depends on the swift implementation of new steps to protect civilians and aid workers. Netanyahu subsequently approved measures to increase the flow of humanitarian aid into Gaza, including the reopening of a key crossing destroyed in the 7 October attack.

Kaine noted: “They turned water back on in northern Gaza. They allow bakeries to start to operate again in Palestine. They announced they’re pulling troops back in southern Gaza, and there’s probably more that they’re going to do, because I think he finally heard in Joe Biden’s voice, ‘Yeah, I’m a friend but you played me and I know you played me; that ain’t going to happen any more.’”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.