Page 175 of 359 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 5375

I don’t know if this quote exists also in English: “History doesn’t serve the same dishes up again”.

For me it doesn’t make much of difference between “fascism” and “right-wing authoritarism”. I mean, at this point. As everyone, I don’t know the future… Maybe it would have more clues if I reread this excellent book “The Anatomy of Fascism” by Robert O. Paxton.

Paxton sought to establish a more concise definition of fascism in an era where people used the term loosely.
    The author studied the rise to power of fascism in several European countries and tried to understand why it didn’t succeed in some others too.

Meanwhile, a more urgent threat:
    Why Moldova fears it could be next for Putin
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

While reminding a reporter about Israel's autonomy, Matthew Miller laughs after being cut off with a “joke” about the US invading countries

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

That is a bit infuriating but not unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

There are people painting LGTBIQ people as "oppressors".
    It was "Extremism or threats to Democracy" so please let me have this ray of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Mets consistantly doubling down on the Mets T-Shirt Standard is a shining example of the problem: he can not admit he made a ridiculous point and invented an arbitrary standard, when it is clear that he both did this *and* will not apply that standard evenly. This was pointed out to him once before with a specific example and his choice was to ignore that, like he does.
    That would indicate more comfort with fascism than with open borders, no? Just asking questions.

On Wednesday, Feb. 28, the American Psychological Association announced in a historic policy resolution that it opposes gender-affirming care bans for transgender youth. The association, the largest psychological organization in the world with 157,000 members, declared, “Government bans on gender-affirming care disregard the comprehensive body of psychological and medical research supporting the positive impact of gender-affirming treatments,” and resolves the organization’s support for the necessity of that care for transgender youth and adults. The policy, which passed 153-9, is the strongest yet from the organization in support of gender-affirming care and represents a major consensus among leading psychologists on the importance of gender-affirming care for youth and adults.
    But I guess /some/ people know better.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worlds-la...163946003.html

Did the APA say anything about "what if they never had an orgasm before" in their announcement?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'll admit, Mets does invite conflict with comments like this.
    He literally said such statements and should be called out — there’s no malice in accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    That is a bit infuriating but not unexpected.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-29-2024 at 02:40 AM.

Tom Suozzi has been sworn in. Not governing will be even easier for the House GOP now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Wouldn't it be like asking someone to clearly explain James Gunn's baby-eating joke in a way that doesn't diminish the seriousness of harm to infants?
    Quit dodging the question.

Summary from the Physician to the President after Biden's physical:

"President Biden is a healthy, active, robust 81-year-old male, who remains fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency, to include those as Chief Executive, Head of State and Commander in Chief."

Tyler Boebert robbed a woman with a brain tumor according to police

New details are emerging about the crimes allegedly committed by Rep. Lauren Boebert's (R-CO) son, who was arrested this week for going on what police say was a crime spree.

Westword reports that police have released more information about 18-year-old Tyler Boebert's alleged actions, and they include robbing a woman with a brain tumor who said that she only had $75 "left to her name."

Overall, police say that Boebert and three underage friends were caught on surveillance camera breaking into people's cars, taking any credit cards they had inside, and using them to go on a shopping spree.

Police say the Boebert-led crime ring is comprised of three males, including Boebert, and one underage female with whom Boebert "supposedly made a sex tape."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

As I said, Disney doesn't fire anyone for pissing off the right.
    I don't want to beat this horse to the death if others want to move on from this topic, but if we are going to continue it, can we get some examples of equally terrible comments made by Disney employees that pissed of the right? For the sake of comparison.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'll admit, Mets does invite conflict with comments like this. So, the fact that the Republicans in House are trying to impeach President Biden on the false testimony of someone who admitted to.being an Agent for Russia isn't some kind of unfair attack?
    Maybe you could ask the question before saying I invite comments.

If the only reason the Republicans are trying to impeach Biden is the testimony of a recently exposed Russian agent, that would count as an unfair use of power and evidence of right-wing authoritarianism.

We'll see how this compares with other situations where a key witness turns out to be compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I don’t know if this quote exists also in English: “History doesn’t serve the same dishes up again”.

For me it doesn’t make much of difference between “fascism” and “right-wing authoritarism”. I mean, at this point. As everyone, I don’t know the future… Maybe it would have more clues if I reread this excellent book “The Anatomy of Fascism” by Robert O. Paxton.

The author studied the rise to power of fascism in several European countries and tried to understand why it didn’t succeed in some others too.

Meanwhile, a more urgent threat:
    Why Moldova fears it could be next for Putin
    I figured the question of whether I was worried about fascism could also be a general question about right-wing authoritarianism, so I addressed that point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    That would indicate more comfort with fascism than with open borders, no? Just asking questions.
    I think we've got more evidence for support for open borders.

If a member of Republican house leadership had an Il Duce T-shirt, it would be worth talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Quit dodging the question.
    The joke was that her pronouns are not beep/bop/boop, which is instead Star Wars onomatopoeia.

She was also poking fun at a type of conformity.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Well, people have pretended they know better than medical professionals when it came to covid and vaccination and many politicians want to make laws about women's bodies without understanding how our reproductive organs work. The lack of respect towards medical community is alarming.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred