Page 323 of 360 FirstFirst ... 223273313319320321322323324325326327333 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 5397

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You're still wrong about what I said.

Here's the claim you were responding to.

I believe that you mischaracterized my post.

Here's what I originally said. I'm putting in bold my comments about my understanding that "parental rights movement" is vague.

You then responded that to argue that conservative bigotry is "vague" is some kind of excuse.

I was talking about a particular term.

It's nor an honorable tactic to say something untrue about a basic factual question (Did I use the phrase "vague" to refer to conservative bigotry or the question of who counts as part of the parents rights movement?), and then call me a liar and accuse me of misdirection when I note that you got it wrong.
    Even though I don't share your political views, your infinite patience towards your "friend" is commendable Even if I think you're wasting your time

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That and the alternative is even worse for their cause than they imagine Biden is. At least the guy behind "Uncommitted" is aware of that fact - he just wants to make Biden notice and change course on Middle Eastern policy. It IS working, but not as fast as people would like.
    And therein lies the problem. Young people want things done yesterday, they just don’t understand it isn’t that simple. The Middle East has been a quagmire for thousands of years while America has only been around for a scant couple of centuries. We just can’t barge in and force policy on races nursing a millennia of hate and prejudice for each other.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Young people need to grow up and read the writing on the wall. In a second Trump presidency, he’d order crackdowns on protests.
    Would be nice if the ones loudest about not voting for Biden were ever around when it came time for other elections. I never see these "We need to vote 3rd party and dismantle the 2 party system!" people out trying to run for any smaller offices or local ones...its always shooting right for the Oval Office and nothing else.

Young people need to grow up and read the writing on the wall. In a second Trump presidency, he’d order crackdowns on protests.
    You do get that what you are saying there just means they had better get their protesting in now just in case, right?

(Never mind that the idea that "The Good Guys..." should be the ones discouraging protesting sounds pretty suspect...)

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Would be nice if the ones loudest about not voting for Biden were ever around when it came time for other elections. I never see these "We need to vote 3rd party and dismantle the 2 party system!" people out trying to run for any smaller offices or local ones...its always shooting right for the Oval Office and nothing else.
    Couple of pretty obvious things there...

Those "Smaller..." offices you mentioned?

Any one of those come with a "Commander In Chief..." as part of holding the office?

Because I'm having a tough time recalling the last time we had a long run of Congress declaring the military actions that the country would be undertaking?

Past that?

Going after the "Smaller..." office means having to aim for running the table to rack up enough wins to so much as even have a shot at amassing enough leverage to make change.

The Presidency?

Just on point to apply pressure to in order to attempt to make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Question for those here: In the purely hypothetical situation where you are called for Jury duty for one of Donald Trump's cases, Do You Think You Could be Impartial Enough to be an actual juror? If the Judge asked the group of potential jurors that you are with to raise their hands if they thought they Could Not be impartial, would you raise your hand or would you keep it lowered?
    The current case?

Hush money?

What is there to get hung up on?

Ignore the person, and focus on the act.

And therein lies the problem. Young people want things done yesterday, they just don’t understand it isn’t that simple. The Middle East has been a quagmire for thousands of years while America has only been around for a scant couple of centuries. We just can’t barge in and force policy on races nursing a millennia of hate and prejudice for each other.
    If they truly believe that a genocide is taking place?

Exactly how long do you think they should just wait around for something noteworthy to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Oh yes. That's it exactly. You can't expect a third party Presidential candidate to have any chance of winning without a sound foundation. Bernie Sanders understands that. He works as an Independent in Vermont, where third parties do have a foundation and have a decent chance, but on the Federal level, Bernie knows that he has to work with the Democrats.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If they truly believe that a genocide is taking place?

Exactly how long do you think they should just wait around for something noteworthy to happen?
    If you'd bother to actually READ what I typed, you'd see that no one, not even America can end centuries of hate those factions have had for each other overnight. What do YOU suggest we do to end genocide cold, like tomorrow? Stop sending weapons to Israel and push hard for peace? Good idea, problem is, Hamas isn't interested in peace and would cause more chaos given the chance. Hell, I doubt Netenyahu wants peace either since the conflict keeps him in power. At Biden is trying to stop the madness as best he can while YOUR party straight up doesn't give a damn and, as far as I know, hasn't offered any solutions.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

If you'd bother to actually READ what I typed, you'd see that no one, not even America can end centuries of hate those factions have had for each other overnight. What do YOU suggest we do to end genocide cold, like tomorrow? Stop sending weapons to Israel and push hard for peace? Good idea, problem is, Hamas isn't interested in peace and would cause more chaos given the chance. Hell, I doubt Netenyahu wants peace either since the conflict keeps him in power. At Biden is trying to stop the madness as best he can while YOUR party straight up doesn't give a damn and, as far as I know, hasn't offered any solutions.
    That one never stops being funny.

That said?

Note to the regulars and any folks who might wander into this thread before they decide they should probably wander back out.

There are folks outside of "Democrats..."/"Republican..."

Truly revolutionary concept, I know.

Now, all that said?

Someone is entirely missing the point if they look at it and truly believe that protestors are looking to end what is going on.

If you see genocide is happening and steps are taking to get that from "Genocide..." to "Still An Unacceptable Degree Of Folks Who Are Not Members Of Hamas Being Killed..."?

Do you honestly not realize that might be a good enough start for folks who are protesting?

Past all of that...

It really is not even about Hamas(even though they are obviously a notable driver of what is taking place...)

It is about exactly how much America enabling what is taking place is acceptable.

Not about controlling what everyone is doing. It is about contending with your role in what is going on.

Stop sending weapons to Israel and push hard for peace?
    Assuming this is the idea, targeting Biden is symbolic, at best. If he woke up tomorrow and decided he wanted to cut Israel's aid off, he couldn't. The protests would need to pressure Congress.

And I don't know what the strategy is anyway. It doesn't look like protests are moving the needle among the voting public (who could indirectly pressure Congress), but are actively annoying people.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Only if it's his head that's printed on both sides.
    that's known as gop "tails"

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    All of these protests on the college campuses makes me worried about Biden and the young vote.
    Young people as a demographic are notoriously unreliable voters. They'll show up for one election cycle and go missing the next...especially when it comes to say mid-terms etc.

Invincible Member

I agree that it can't solved overnight but to be fair, at this point the US isn't exactly just now barging in. We've been involved in the Israel/Palestine situation for decades. And in fact, we've ( rightly or wrongly ) vetoed UN resolutions against Israel for their handling of things like the settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    And I don't know what the strategy is anyway. It doesn't look like protests are moving the needle among the voting public (who could indirectly pressure Congress), but are actively annoying people.
    It's the same as with those radical climate protesters. Throwing paint or soup at art doesn't do anything positive, it just makes people annoyed and more likely to dismiss the entire movement. They do more damage than help, similar to those who send death threats to people they disagree with. But do they care? Probably not, because they don't really care about the issue, they just want that momentary feeling of doing something radical, then they move to a different issue if this one is not trendy enough anymore.

Meanwhile, foreign powers that often finance these things, either directly or through stuff like Tiktok, are laughing because causing division in western society is exactly what they want.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred