Page 50 of 339 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    For all the talk about disliking discrimination, apparently age discrimination is completely acceptable.

Biden has repeatedly outperformed both polls and expectations — he has earned the right to run for reelection.

It makes little sense to base things on polling rather than actual performance — win or lose he has earned his place by defeating Trump, subduing COVID, excelling in the midterms, restoring America's economy and international reputation, and directly addressing the bigotry, sexism, and white supremacist and white nationalist aspirations of the current Republican party.

Trump has upcoming trials and has much more reason to be concerned than Biden or Democrats in general, and even if he were to win the election, there is no reason to fear a coward like Trump, regardless.

People took a stand against him before and will do so again — as with any fascist — as needed.
    Politicians know better than to pay too much attention to polls.

Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson ends his 2024 Republican presidential bid after getting 0.2 % in Iowa.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I thought all the really horrible and stupid states were in the south...but Iowa may take the cake with this:
    Nearly two-thirds (63%) of respondents to the National Election Pool entrance poll said that Trump would still be fit to serve as president if convicted of a crime
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson ends his 2024 Republican presidential bid after getting 0.2 % in Iowa.
    I honestly didn't even know he was still running.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Biden is going to have to re-build the minority coalition that helped him the last time.

It's going to have to be a concerted effort because black people (the democrats most loyal base) aren't particularly happy with Biden for a number of reasons and don't feel supercharged to vote for him. This isn't to say they will vote for Trump but it could be a 2016 situation where a lot of them just sit it out.

I'm sure this will change between now and November but it's going to take some work.

The biggest problem Trump has, is that he ONLY got 51% of the vote. There is no guarantee that the other 49% would vote for him if Trump was running against President Biden.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The biggest problem Trump has, is that he ONLY got 51% of the vote. There is no guarantee that the other 49% would vote for him if Trump was running against President Biden.
    There used to be that old trope that Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line. But Trump kind of broke that, I think. We saw in 2022 that MAGA candidates will win often primaries, but not general elections. And when the non-MAGA candidate wins, MAGA voters may stay home.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I thought all the really horrible and stupid states were in the south...but Iowa may take the cake with this:
    Trump’s joke about gunning down people in Times Square and not lose any votes is so far proving to be prophetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I didn’t know that. Interesting. Did the bad weather keep that 49 percent home, or did they have no interest in Trump? I think New Hampshire is next up. Let’s see what happens there.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Trump’s joke about gunning down people in Times Square and not lose any votes is so far proving to be prophetic.

I didn’t know that. Interesting. Did the bad weather keep that 49 percent home, or did they have no interest in Trump? I think New Hampshire is next up. Let’s see what happens there.
    I think the men's basketball team at Iowa was playing Minnesota yesterday and that was more important.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I honestly didn't even know he was still running.
    Wondering who will "inherit" Asa's votes in future contest?

Ultimate Member

Politics aside, the non-stop media coverage of Trump is really exhausting.

Even after he was voted out, almost everything he does is covered extensively by the media.

I know he has several court cases but I'm personally tired of seeing his orange face on tv.

Seriously, apart from on the mainstream media, I don't see anything from "Truth Social" or whatever it's called. The media has done an excellent job of amplifying Trump's nonsensical messaging.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Iowa is a weird state, didn't Obama win that state twice?

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Wondering who will "inherit" Asa's votes in future contest?
    Probably Haley, though it might not do her much good. Republican voters whisper to each other that she is Muslim [she isn't] and they shy away from female candidates running for higher office.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

The 49 percent was the combined total for all the other Republican candidates.

Sure, it’s true that some of that 49 percent won’t vote for Trump.

But then I might well be wrong, I can’t understand why any sane person would vote for him, so must be missing some obvious point.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Politics aside, the non-stop media coverage of Trump is really exhausting.

Even after he was voted out, almost everything he does is covered extensively by the media.

I know he has several court cases but I'm personally tired of seeing his orange face on tv.

Seriously, apart from on the mainstream media, I don't see anything from "Truth Social" or whatever it's called. The media has done an excellent job of amplifying Trump's nonsensical messaging.
    I’ve said this before here and stand by this opinion: the media wants Trump back in the Oval Office because he was not just good, but DAMN good for business while he was president. One time CBS head Leslie Moonves came right out and said as much in an interview several years ago. The near daily chaos and craziness Trump churned sold papers, boosted TV ratings and bumped up internet page clicks, putting loads of money in the media’s coffers. They want that cash cow back to work, democracy be damned, that’s why they’re covering him as much as they are.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!