Page 81 of 357 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 5350
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    LOL somebody on CNN just said Trump will pivot to the center once Haley drops out.
    LOL!
    Even if he does try to do this I expect people will fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Considering the improvements in robotics and drone technology there are ways to bring back a Firing Squad without having more than 1-2 people as "Executioner". You get 2-3 guns each aimed at multiple vital spots and there will be no survival nor any visible agony involved as with electrocution.
    Yes, there are a number of other effective, less costly ways. The idea that states may have to go to cheaper alternatives sort of leads to the question of whether they should be allowed to. Given the justice system is so flawed, should the execution method be allowed to be cheap and “easy”? It seems like a high financial cost should at least go along with taking a life, even that of a criminal.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 01-27-2024 at 09:35 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Only one gun has live ammo in traditional firing squads. The rest have blanks.

The point of multiple shooters is so each person can all be pretty sure they didn't kill the person being executed.
    The story goes that one gun (or up to three if it's a larger firing squad) was filled with blanks, but the majority have bullets.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ng/5120497001/
    https://brutalsouth.substack.com/p/the-conscience-round

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    I believe the reason for changing methods is the high cost and lack of availability of the most reliable drugs commonly used in executions. The problem has resulted in several botched procedures where the person endured a long and painful death due to the states using low-quality, outdated drugs. Not certain, but I think the idea of returning to electrocution has recently been floated in a couple of states. Compared to that, nitrogen gas seems more humane.
    I’m not in favor of the death penalty due to the current rate of wrongful convictions. The premise is the state is dispesensing death as a supposedly just punishment. The fact it can’t be 100% certain of its judgement automatically renders the result as being unjust.
    One major factor is pressure campaigns to reduce the availability of reliable drugs.

It creates a trap where efforts to fight the death penalty lead to suffering by restricting access to the most reliable drugs.

Personally, I don't mind the existence of the death penalty or how it's used in the US. But I also don't care about making it look nice, which is the purpose of a lot of these drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Experimenting with execution methods feels like all kinds of messed up.
    In many cases, we know the drugs are effective because of their use in end of life care.

I don't think we need a higher standard for executions.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

To me, dead is dead. Doesn't really matter what method we use. For those few minutes until the condemned person is declared dead? That will all be forgotten the next day. But if we're going to have a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment, then we have to apply it here, or amend it further to clarify that it's meant to forbid torture, not certain forms of the death penalty.
    Watching television is not an activity.

https://www.losangelesblade.com/2024...-for-everyone/

While the beginning of the Space focused more on transgender care for youth, 49 minutes into the discussion, attention turned to transgender adults. Representative Shriver asked, “In terms of endgame, why are we allowing these practices for anyone? If we are going to stop this for anyone under 18, why not apply it for anyone over 18? It’s harmful across the board, and that’s something we need to take into consideration in terms of the endgame.”

Representative Click then responded, “That’s a very smart thought there. I think what we know legislatively is we have to take small bites.”

He then turned to Governor DeWine’s targeting of transgender adult care clinics, stating, “The other thing is Planned Parenthoods; they pass out hormones like candy, he’s put a stop to that. That’s one of the places a lot of adults go. There’s also Euphoria and Plume.”
    They'll probably succeed to, I gotta get out of this ****hole country.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I’ve never been a fan of the death penalty, but, not for any moral reasons, rather because it doesn’t work as a deterrent. Never has, never will. It’s purely eye for an eye stuff, straight out of the Bible.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’ve never been a fan of the death penalty, but, not for any moral reasons, rather because it doesn’t work as a deterrent. Never has, never will. It’s purely eye for an eye stuff, straight out of the Bible.
    I support it, but it's been clear for years that it needs to be slowed down, better examined and used far more sparingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    https://www.losangelesblade.com/2024...-for-everyone/

They'll probably succeed to, I gotta get out of this ****hole country.
    I thought our local anti-trans reactionaries assured us this was always just about kids and there's definitely no interest in a trans genocide in any way. What a shocking development!

Several of those names are probably familiar to WBE, too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I support it, but it's been clear for years that it needs to be slowed down, better examined and used far more sparingly.
    Pretty much this - although the fact that the damned Supreme Court rejects Innocence as a reason to stop an execution is a serious check mark against it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I don't support the death penalty at all and think it should be abolished.

That said, guys like Anders Behring Breivik make me question my beliefs. The guy is still doing harm to his victims.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 01-27-2024 at 07:50 PM.

If you support the death penalty, you must accept that innocent people will be put to death. That poor people will be put todeathmore than wealthy people, and that minorities will be put to death more than white people.
    If you are good with that...
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    LOL somebody on CNN just said Trump will pivot to the center once Haley drops out.
    LOL!
    That somebody on CNN was clearly high.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Ultimate Member

If you commit the crime worthy of the death penalty then it doesn't matter what color your skin is. And an eye for an eye gets misconstrued all the time as being ongoing. If I poked out one of your eyes then you would poke out one of mine, and then we both stop there. No more eyes being lost and no one going blind. The death penalty was a deterrent until it began to take like a decade from conviction to execution. It shouldn't be immediate as mistakes do happen but it shouldn't take forever either.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    If you commit the crime worthy of the death penalty then it doesn't matter what color your skin is. And an eye for an eye gets misconstrued all the time as being ongoing. If I poked out one of your eyes then you would poke out one of mine, and then we both stop there. No more eyes being lost and no one going blind. The death penalty was a deterrent until it began to take like a decade from conviction to execution. It shouldn't be immediate as mistakes do happen but it shouldn't take forever either.
    We executed an almost assuredly innocent 14 year old black boy in 1944. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    If it doesn't work as a deterrent, it's because most criminals don't believe that they'll be caught. If course, we have no way of knowing how many people think about committing crime, but decide not to, out of fear of the death penalty.
    Watching television is not an activity.