Page 309 of 354 FirstFirst ... 209259299305306307308309310311312313319 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,635 of 5300

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's why you're seeing a push about 'age 25 because that's when the brain is finally mature!' garbage.
    Can you explain this for me, please? I'm mot sure what you mean by age 25, what is being pushed and by whom?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    I think a lot of parents see the 'my' in 'my child' as proprietary, not relational. As if children are chattel. I think we see this more in conservative parents and has deep roots in religion.
    The one that creeps me out is conservative fathers being so obsessed about their daughter's virginity.

Astonishing Member

Trump campaign asks for cut of candidates’ fundraising when they use his name and likeness

Former President Donald Trump’s campaign has found a new way to press for badly needed cash.

In a letter received by Republican digital vendors this week, the Trump campaign is asking for down-ballot candidates who use his name, image and likeness in fundraising appeals to give at least 5 percent of the proceeds to the campaign.

“Beginning tomorrow, we ask that all candidates and committees who choose to use President Trump’s name, image, and likeness split a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC. This includes but is not limited to sending to the house file, prospecting vendors, and advertising,” Trump co-campaign managers Susie Wiles and Chris LaCivita wrote in the letter, which is dated April 15.

They add: “Any split that is higher than 5% will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump’s campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”
    The letter comes as Trump is struggling to close a fundraising gap with President Joe Biden. Biden’s campaign has said that it has raised over $190 million, more than double what Trump has taken in. Trump’s campaign has acknowledged that it will be outraised by Biden, though it has been looking to make up ground, with large and small donors alike. By asking Republican candidates to break off a chunk of their proceeds, the Trump campaign would enlarge its bank account.
    Get all that money!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The one that creeps me out is conservative fathers being so obsessed about their daughter's virginity.
    Yeah, I can't imagine why that might be.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Can you explain this for me, please? I'm mot sure what you mean by age 25, what is being pushed and by whom?
    There are some politicians and pundits who are trying to pass laws that restrict gender affirming care for trans people until that person becomes 25 yrs old.

Ehhhhhh. A lot of the 'rights movement' stems from the same place as the basic 'parental rights' doctrine. Most of that stuff in America absolutely exists downwind of segregation and cultural conservatism. Just look at the American home schooling movement, and a lot of it, even in milder forms, unhealthily frames children as the possession of a parent.

But your original statement was a simple “parents have no rights, only responsibilities”.

Are you sticking to that? Or was it just a misleading way of expressing your views.?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But your original statement was a simple “parents have no rights, only responsibilities”.

Are you sticking to that? Or was it just a misleading way of expressing your views.?
    Do you think children are the possessions of their parents?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There are some politicians and pundits who are trying to pass laws that restrict gender affirming care for trans people until that person becomes 25 yrs old.
    It'll only spread from there. Ramaswamy, for example, made a big point of wanting to move the voting age to 25 too. We all know why GOP leaning candidates wanna do that.

Do you think children are the possessions of their parents?
    No. When have I said anything that could be sensibly interpreted that way??

I believe parents have rights, clearly established by law, and there is no mainstream appetite in either the Democratic or Republican party to substantially change that.

Again I ask you: are you sticking to your original statement ("parents have no rights, only responsibilities")?

No. When have I said anything that could be sensibly interpreted that way??

I believe parents have rights, clearly established by law, and there is no mainstream appetite in either the Democratic or Republican party to substantially change that.

Again I ask you: are you sticking to your original statement ("parents have no rights, only responsibilities")?
    Then stop trying to pick a fight.

Responsibilities *to* a child look a lot like the 'rights' you're probably imagining. I don't think I brought up laws or politicians, or suggested that we should introduce law to strip parents of their 'rights'.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 04-18-2024 at 09:53 AM.

Then stop trying to pick a fight.

Responsibilities *to* a child look a lot like the 'rights' you're probably imagining. I don't think I brought up laws or politicians.
    I'm not trying to pick a fight.

I am trying to understand your true position. If your original statement was just worded in a very misleading way, it that difficult for you to admit?

I'm not trying to pick a fight.

I am trying to understand your true position. If your original statement was just worded in a very misleading way, it that difficult for you to admit?
    'Very misleading'. Please.

'Very misleading'. Please.
    Completely misleading. We both know that, but I can see you're just not going to admit that.

Completely misleading. We both know that, but I can see you're just not going to admit that.
    "I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just accusing you being misleading" is very funny.

But, no. It's not misleading. It just doesn't mean what you're fearing.

The use of “parental rights” is not a new concept in Canada, and has been weaponized around queer and trans students in the past. Some of this goes back to at least the 1970s, with Anita Bryant’s “Save Our Children” campaign, which insinuated that the queer community in particular was a threat, and it had further echoes into the 1990s. More recently, it was used both during the fights to reform sexual education to be more inclusive and to have a greater focus on preventing abuse, with absurd notions that this was about indoctrinating five-year-olds with sexually explicit language and encouraging them to engage in anal sex.

Around the same time, these same parental rights concerns were also being engaged as provinces like Alberta, which was under the NDP government of Rachel Notley at the time, were legislating to make it easier for schools to start Gay-Straight Alliance clubs (GSAs). The point of contention was, yet again, whether parents should be notified if their children participated in these clubs. And while Notley ensured that parental notification was not necessary, there were howls that this was infringing upon parental rights. This decision was later overturned when Jason Kenney became premier and he eliminated legal protections for GSAs, allowing schools to notify parents when students join, essentially gutting GSAs across the province because they could not provide safe spaces for students who couldn’t tell their parents they were queer or trans.
    https://xtramagazine.com/power/ident...-canada-260647

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...7d6d6dd7e.html

Weird how we only ever hear people talk about 'parental rights' when it comes to stuff like this. Almost like it's not actually about anything else but control, not the well being of children. Children aren't possessions. That's what 'Parents have responsibilities, not rights' means.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 04-18-2024 at 10:11 AM.

"I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just accusing you being misleading" is very funny.

But, no. It's not misleading. It just doesn't mean what you're fearing.
    You put "Parents have no rights, only responsibilities".

What was it actually supposed to mean? If it actually meant something like "some parents try to control their children too much, etc", why not say that?

Completely baffled that you are incapable of admitting you phrased something in a misleading way.