Page 156 of 355 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 5321

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Who is Herzi and why would he be quoting him?
    He's literally the father of Zionism. That speech was in 2016, btw, and the video conveniently leaves out the part where he says that he's going to quote him. Plus he never said "recolonize" etc.

It's a hoax:
    https://leadstories.com/hoax-alert/2...-of-herzl.html
    Last edited by hyped78; 02-23-2024 at 08:27 AM.

Ultimate Member

What's he going on about here?

Ultimate Member

Republican educational leadership — the deflection is essential to hiding the real agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't recall anyone making a post where they identified three things DeSantis did or said that are so bad that a moderate Republican can't consider voting for him over Biden.
    Because it was a loaded question where you determined what was acceptable and what wasn’t.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-23-2024 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's a hoax. That's a speech from 2016 where he is quoting Herzl. Earlier on the video he mentions that he was going to quote Herzl. Plus he never said "recolonize" etc.

(not defending Netanyahu - but this is a hoax)
    Last edited by hyped78; 02-23-2024 at 08:27 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    It's a hoax. That's a speech from 2016 where he is quoting Herzl. Earlier on the video he mentions that he was going to quote Herzl. Plus he never said "recolonize" etc.

OK.

That make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

Republican educational leadership.

Because it was a loaded question where you determined what was acceptable and what wasn’t.
    100% for both, and the "3 things" was an attempt to stop the flood of evidence that had already been posted in response to his original question asking for the evidence without that caveat. When people complained he stated that people couldn't dictate how he spent his time online, and continued asking for evidence he had already actively ignored & openly refused to view while saying it was exaggerated in the case of a Last Week Tonight video. That behavior consisted of wasting other's time when simultaneously saying that others couldn't ask him to spend his evaluating the evidence he already asked for before asking for even more. Such behavior (whether labeled as a Rhetorical Trick or not) shows dishonesty and a lack of respect for both the subject and those discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post

While he did indeed not use Recolonize, Herzl didn't use Liberate - he used Redemption. Netanyahu's choice of words there does seem to be worth discussing if one cares to, but not to the worrying extent that the original post makes out IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    While he did indeed not use Recolonize, Herzl didn't use Liberate - he used Redemption. Netanyahu's choice of words there does seem to be worth discussing if one cares to, but not to the worrying extent that the original post makes out IMO.
    I think there's a LOT of things that are worth discussing - and criticize, IMO - about Netanyahu. I think that, long term, the history books won't be kind to him, to say the least

I think that this particular hoax video has many problems, though - it is purposefully misleading, e.g. it's from 2016 (it's being "sold" as it's from now), the video has text saying "After I finish Palestine, tell African gullible leaders that I'm coming for them to recolonize them" (this is all false), among other things.

Here is the original full text of what Netanyahu said at that conference in Africa, I don't think there's anything wrong with this:
    https://embassies.gov.il/UnGeneva/Ne...July-2016.aspx
    Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, today (Monday, 4 July 2016), issued the following statement at the African summit in Uganda:

"This meeting I think will be a milestone, the meeting of seven leaders from African countries with Israel. I think it underscores the fact that we are in a monumental change in the relations between Israel and Africa, beginning here. It is warranted by the great changes that are taking place in the world. We at once have an enormous boost and jump towards development, towards the possibilities of this new century, with all the promises of technology; but at the same time, we have a savage medievalism that seeks to take all our societies back, to destroy them, destroy our freedoms and destroy our hopes.

So we at once have to do two things: Develop our countries into the future, and fight back the forces that want to take us to a dark past. And we can do this. I believe Israel is the perfect partner for the countries of Africa. I want to thank deeply all the Excellencies, the leaders who came here, again on short notice, to attend this summit. From our conversations, I think we put flesh on this structure. We believe it. It's not something we say, lip service – we give lip service to. We believe it. We've begun to do it among our respective countries. But I believe that we see opportunities in expanding this to Africa as a whole.

Israel has fought terrorism and has developed, as you said Mr. President today, we've developed certain capacities, which I think are important for the defense of the world against this global onslaught of terrorism. But equally, we have tremendous opportunities. We've solved our water problem, even though we're a very dry land. We've solved our agricultural problem. We produce, with great productivity, vegetables, dairy. I'm always boasting which cow produces more milk per cow? In the world, you think it's a French cow or a Dutch cow. It's an Israeli cow. It's a computerized cow, every moo is monitored, you know?

But we are eager to share this technology in so many fields with our African friends. We think that Israel now is the best partner that the countries of Africa could have, and it's something that is dear to our hearts. The founder of modern Zionism, the national movement of the Jewish people, was Theodore Herzl, and he said, "After I liberate the Jewish people, I will go to Africa to help liberate the black people." We have our African brethren, the Ethiopian Jews, who are in our society, and I personally work every few weeks to help integrate more and more and incorporate in our society.

I believe this. I believe in Africa. I believe in your future and I believe in our partnership for this future. And I believe that this meeting will be seen as a turning point in Israel's ability to reach a broad number of African countries, which is our goal. We want a better future for you, a better future for all of us, and we think we can be your perfect partners.

So once again, I thank you for this extraordinary display of hospitality and warmth and friendship. Israel is coming back to Africa; Africa is coming back to Israel."

Separately, I do find it ironic though that this type of hoax video is usually produced by far-right folks, but in this case the far-right (Netanyahu) is a taking a dose of its own medicine
    Last edited by hyped78; 02-23-2024 at 09:55 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The way student loans are structured should be criminal. My roommate reviewed them during COVID. They come with interest rates that loan sharks would be ashamed of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What are you talking about here?
    Oh, the usual gubbins. Tami and I posted that we thought you habitually post stuff that you honestly believe, but I added you sometimes used rhetorical tricks (something I think we all do from time to time.)

This led to Dalak asking if lying, etc is a “rhetorical trick”.

Like a pillock I replied. I should know better. Apologies if anyone irritated.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Oh, the usual gubbins. Tami and I posted that we thought you habitually post stuff that you honestly believe, but I added you sometimes used rhetorical tricks (something I think we all do from time to time.)

This led to Dalak asking if lying, etc is a “rhetorical trick”.

Like a pillock I replied. I should know better. Apologies if anyone irritated.
    You know that many/most of our US friends might not know what a "pillock" is. Maybe not even "gubbins" :P
    Last edited by hyped78; 02-23-2024 at 11:11 AM.

I don’t think anyone here has argued that student debt forgiveness is fair.
    The necessity is the important point. Many families will be lifted out of poverty and their children can live without the resulting stress and disfunction. They’ll be better adjusted and hopefully perform better in school and avoid behavioral and legal problems which would plague them and their own children.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 02-23-2024 at 11:52 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Sebastian Kurz, Austria's former boyish chancellor, was sentenced to 8 months on probation for lying to a committee about croyism. His chief of staff got six.Kurz, who is considered one of Europe's more Trumpian politicians, had said he was looking forward to the trial because the facts would redeem him. The judge instead called it one of the most blatant cases in Austrian history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    The necessity is the important point. Many families will be lifted out of poverty and their children can live without the resulting stress and disfunction. They’ll be better adjusted and hopefully perform better in school and avoid behavioral and legal problems which would plague them and their own children.
    Under the original plan that SCOTUS struck down, borrowers earning less than $125,000 per year would have been eligible for $10,000 of federal student loan forgiveness. Married couples filing jointly or heads of household who make up to $250,000 still would have been eligible.

Someone who makes $100k per year or a couple that makes $200k per year (for example) doesn't necessarily need their debt bailed out, I think.

"I don’t think anyone here has argued that student debt forgiveness is fair" - I'm not so sure about that.

But hey, 1) I don't pay taxes in the US and 2) it's likely that any US government spends money on worse things

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    The other issue with loan forgiveness is that as a society, we've been telling younger generations that they can either get a degree or be stuck in dead end work for the rest of their lives. Add that in to the fast rising costs of that degree, and you have a good chance that a young person makes the decision to take out loans without having the tools to know better, and it hobbles them for the rest of their life. A bad choice made when you are 18 shouldn't be holding you down as you approach 40 unless there are heinous crimes involved
    Dark does not mean deep.

Republican scum outright calling for the end of democracy.

To a cheering audience of other scumbags.