Page 311 of 355 FirstFirst ... 211261301307308309310311312313314315321 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,665 of 5312
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    100%. A lot of them lament the fact they they try to make the kids think a certain conservative way. And then they go to school or meet and get introduced to other people from different backgrounds and perspectives. They realize they aren't the monsters that they grew up being told they were. And end up making friends or expanding their horizons.

That is the part that these people want to nip in the bud by demonizing, banning books, resources, getting on school boards etc changing curriculum.

See, this is what I've been saying in discussions about banning books. The evil "religious" people are starting by going after school libraries because it is their staging point for taking over ALL libraries. There is no disguising this. Religion is responsible for more evil in today's world than anything else.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Freedom Caucus deploys ‘FART’ group as Republican tensions simmer

I laughed so hard I nearly gave myself an Asthma attack.
    Sniffing out any problems on the house floor.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Explosions in Iran according to Iran Media. They are saying this is the Israel response to the attack from a few days ago. Just two days ago Iran said if Israel attacks them they would go after Israel with a full massive counter attack.

JUst how bad are things going to get in the middle east?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

It's a given at this point that Mets will demonize "liberals" for wearing t-shirts but has no such concerns when it comes to conservative bigotry.

As posting factual information about said behavior historically leads to denial, ignorance and outright malice, it's generally a lost cause to expect any real dialogue on the topic until that changes.

It's fair to argue that conservatives who don't care about the concerns of others should be responded to in kind -- especially when many civil rights have already been lost to a Republican Supreme Court.

Certainly "discussion" has done little to sway said course -- the only working solutions at this point appear to be election losses and prison time.

Taking people's comments out of context is a common behavior for those seeking to defend the indefensible.

Projection is a useful means of deflecting from the actual discussion -- note that the actual bigotry and sexism within said movements still has yet to be addressed.
    "Parents don't have 'rights'. They have responsibilities."

That wasn't taken out of context. It seems to be a description of a policy view.

I did not demonize anyone for wearing a T-shirt. The context of that discussion was indications that people in good standing within the Democratic party supported a particular policy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    "Parents don't have 'rights'. They have responsibilities."

That wasn't taken out of context. It seems to be a description of a policy view.

I did not demonize anyone for wearing a T-shirt. The context of that discussion was indications that people in good standing within the Democratic party supported a particular policy.
    The discussion was over the Republican lies regarding “open borders” and the pattern of dishonest conservative rhetoric and fear mongering — it was clearly established during said discussion that not only do Democrats not support open borders but that Obama deported more illegal immigrants than all of his predecessors.

So no — it was not a reasonable argument as it is not an actual Democratic position nor legislated policy as opposed to conservatives and Republicans who actually promote and pass homophobic, sexist and racist legislation.

You discuss everything but the actual issue at hand — the consistent bigotry which underlies conservative policy and has led them to follow the man who made his name accusing Obama of being non-American — ignoring the obvious as white nationalism destroys the Republican Party from within.

The issue at hand here as has clearly been stated is the “Parents Rights Movement” and you still have yet to address the issues of bigotry and homophobic policy even after clarification.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-18-2024 at 10:13 PM.

Ultimate Member

One can’t claim to be on the “right” side while simultaneously supporting injustice and bigotry.

Equally relevant -- one can't claim not to suppport white nationalists like Trump while simultaneously supporting their policies.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-18-2024 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Explosions in Iran according to Iran Media. They are saying this is the Israel response to the attack from a few days ago. Just two days ago Iran said if Israel attacks them they would go after Israel with a full massive counter attack.
    It’s also on The Guardian…

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    JUst how bad are things going to get in the middle east?
    Will this new developpment be limited to the region or not? I know that Israel have allies but Iran…?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

A more sympathetic news:

Brussels proposes return to pre-Brexit mobility for UK and EU young people

Commission to seek approval from leaders to start talks with UK on visa-free exchanges for 18- to 30-year-olds
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The discussion was over the Republican lies regarding “open borders” and the pattern of dishonest conservative rhetoric and fear mongering — it was clearly established during said discussion that not only do Democrats not support open borders but that Obama deported more illegal immigrants than all of his predecessors.
    The last part is factually not correct. CNN: "According to an analysis by the Migration Policy Institute, more than 12 million people were “deported” – either removed or returned – from the US during the Clinton administration. More than 10 million were removed or returned during the Bush administration. Far fewer – more than 5 million – were removed or returned during the Obama administration."
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/13/p...ion/index.html
    (note that I'm not saying that deporting more == better, but the last part of your sentence looks wrong, so not sure what was "established" during the discussion, as the numbers are different)

And how many has the Biden administration deported? I haven't seen the numbers - and his term isn't over - but noting that this is under the context of all-time record numbers of illegal migrant encounters at the souther border
    https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...e-end-of-2023/

Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff urges Mayorkas to fix the border:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/VdYLknnxQ...RAd-rtjt5pbdkw
    Last edited by hyped78; 04-19-2024 at 12:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/statu...r1uGgZxRA&s=19

Republican activist and focus group guru, and Kevin McCarthy's former roommate, suffered a series of strokes.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/statu...r1uGgZxRA&s=19

Republican activist and focus group guru, and Kevin McCarthy's former roommate, suffered a series of strokes.
    Forty years ago, my grandfather suffered a stroke and died from complications a month later. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy if I had one.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

[QUOTE

Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-Fla.) trolled Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) with a pair of amendments that highlight the Georgia Republican’s frequent embrace of pro-Russia misinformation and her opposition to foreign aid.

The first amendment calls for Greene to be appointed “Vladimir Putin’s Special Envoy to the United States Congress.”

The amendment says Greene has “repeatedly attempted to block aid to Ukraine, empowering Vladimir Putin’s unlawful violation of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity,” and that she “has reposted information from the Strategic Culture Foundation, a Russian based disinformation and propaganda channel that has been sanctioned by [the Office of Foreign Assets Control].”

The second amendment renames Greene’s office in the Cannon House Office Building as the “Neville Chamberlain Room” — a reference to the World War II-era British prime minister who pursued a failed policy of appeasement toward Nazi Germany in the hope of avoiding a larger war.

In an interview on “CNN News Central” on Thursday, Moskowitz announced the first amendment naming Greene as Putin’s envoy and said, “That way … we can just make it official, quite frankly.”

Greene also submitted a series of amendments to the Ukraine supplemental bill, including one that says any member who votes for the bill “shall be required to conscript in the Ukrainian military.”

Other amendments Greene filed similarly embraced false claims often championed by Putin and pro-Russia outlets. She introduced amendments that prohibit funding until Ukraine “holds free and fair elections,” “stops persecuting Christians,” “closes all bio-laboratories,” “bans abortion” and “turns over all information related to Hunter Biden and Burisma,” among others.

Greene also introduced an amendment that directs the president to withdraw the U.S. from NATO and prohibits funding for NATO troops in Ukraine.

Moskowitz in a Wednesday hearing chastised Greene for her line of questioning, which included false claims that Nazism was rampant in Ukraine — an argument frequently touted by Putin to justify his country’s invasion of Ukraine.

“Stop bringing up Nazis and Hitler. The only people who know about Nazis and Hitler are the 10 million people and their families who lost their loved ones — generations of people who were wiped out,” Moskowitz said.

“It is enough of this disgusting behavior, using Nazis as propaganda … You want to talk about Nazis? Get yourself over to the Holocaust Museum. You go see what Nazis did.”

[/QUOTE]
    Fighting trolling with trolling

Ultimate Member

“Obama Has Deported More People Than Any Other President”

“According to governmental data, the Obama administration has deported more people than any other president's administration in history.

In fact, they have deported more than the sum of all the presidents of the 20th century.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obam...ry?id=41715661

——-

None of which addresses the original issue of Republican bigotry enshrined in governmental policy — which was the entire point of the discussion in question — nor the repeated conservative lies and blatantly dishonest racist rhetoric regarding non-existent “open border” policies.

Rather than argue sources, the issue at hand is that Mets was promoting a dishonest misrepresentation of Democratic policy while simultaneously ignoring the racism and bigotry inherent to the Republican border policies which he supported under Trump.

Just as there is now clear misrepresentation and denial regarding the Parents Rights Movement and an obvious desire to avoid discussing the racial and religious bigotry behind said organization.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-19-2024 at 01:16 AM.

“Obama Has Deported More People Than Any Other President”

“According to governmental data, the Obama administration has deported more people than any other president's administration in history.

In fact, they have deported more than the sum of all the presidents of the 20th century.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obam...ry?id=41715661

——-

None of which addresses the original issue of Republican bigotry enshrined in governmental policy — which was the entire point of the discussion in question — nor the repeated conservative lies and blatantly dishonest racist rhetoric regarding non-existent “open border” policies.

Rather than argue sources, the issue at hand is that Mets was promoting a dishonest misrepresentation of Democratic policy while simultaneously ignoring the racism and bigotry inherent to the Republican border policies which he supported under Trump.

Just as there is now clear misrepresentation and denial regarding the Parents Rights Movement.
    Those numbers aren't correct if you look at the full picture of removals and returns. Besides the CNN article, the granularity behind the numbers is on the Migration Policy Institute website:
    https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...r-chief-or-not

I believe the figures you are using only consider "removals", not "returns" - but deportation is both. On "removals" alone, Obama is the 'winner'. But on total deportations, he's not even close. On this link I've posted there's a table with the Obama, Clinton, Bush breakdown by total deportations and then broken down by removals, returns, apprehensions, apprehensions at the border. Clinton is the 'winner' and both Clinton and Bush have far higher total numbers than Obama.

Please note that I am not defending what Mets is saying/ not saying, btw (I haven't even read the discussion). Nor am I saying that deporting more = good, deporting less = bad. I think it's more nuanced than that, and at different times there is differing pressure on the migration system.
    Last edited by hyped78; 04-19-2024 at 01:22 AM.