Page 153 of 352 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 5271

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    I’ll say it again:

The GOP has proven, by its statements, its actions, its representatives, that they cannot be trusted with America’s future. 40+ years of GOP policies have driven this nation into the ground, tanked our worldwide reputation, bankrupted us (morally and financially), and divided us. Wealth disparity is worse than it was before the Revolution

The GOP defends domestic terrorism, and its politicians and media outlets call for violence daily. And more and more often, their adherents are committing mass murder and terrorist actions. We cannot trust the judges they appoint, we can’t trust Republican doctors, we can’t trust Republican cops.

We cannot trust the GOP. Only people who put party ahead of people can manage to support them, anymore, and it shows in the calibur of representation they choose.

If American conservatism wants to be taken seriously again, they need to take the L this election year and spend the next four years purging the scum from their ranks. The people only in it for profit and power. The people who defend pedophiles. Who turn a blind eye to fraud and abuse of power. The vindictive monsters and traitors they protect and empower.

Come back to us with a clear vision for America’s future that doesn’t cater to the wealthy, or the religious extremist, but to the people struggling to feed their families. Show us you care about the REAL issues, like homelessness, or immigration, or queer rights, or women’s rights, or racial inequality, or income disparity, by providing SOLUTIONS, not persecution of convenient targets. Figure out a platform that doesn’t make Gilead seem somewhat reasonable by comparison.

Otherwise, American Conservstism has exposed itself as exactly the rough beast the left has been saying it is for decades.

Reagan and his policies, Gingritch and his policies as Speaker, Trump and the Freedom Caucus, the NRA and the gun lobby, Fox News? These far right icons have done more harm to America than ANY number of gay marriages, library displays, abortions, interracial marriages, uppity women, trans teens, or black teenage boys.

But as long as the GOP keeps focusing on the latter, and glorifying the former, as long as American conservatism continues to be willing to hurt people in order to hoard power and wealth? As long as they continue doing deliberate damage to the nation in order to enrich themselves (which people like Mets try to claim they do out of patriotic love of country…)? As long as they SHOW us by their words and deeds that they cannot be trusted, despite their claims of piousness and patriotism (even as they support the very people demonstrably harming us all), then they deserve to go the way of the Whigs and the Know-Nothings.
    It will take longer than 4 years. The GoP needs to be locked out of power for a generation, like they were when FDR kept winning elections, and like the Democrats were locked out of power for years following the Civil War. Long enough that the old guard who claims they aren't wrong in policy, but that the people are wrong are forced out of power in the party apparatus. Long enough so that people coming of age see that the old way is a surefire road to more losses. Only then can the Republican Party save itself - by discarding it's worst elements and rededicating itself to....actual small government rather than the illusion of it, or something like that. When they are once again ashamed of hypocrisy rather than thinking it's a badge of honor, then they might have a chance again.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Texas school legally punished Black student over hairstyle, judge says

Then what good is the law? This ruling doesn't make sense to me. If this young man's hairstyle is not protected then what is the point?
    What that school system is doing to that kid is so fucking stupid. And the courts letting them get away with violating that law by playing word games is appalling.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

At this point in the news cycle about Alabama moving further down the path of being fascist state, I think it's time to realize that the only two things coming out of the state is the Crimson Tide football team and some great barbecue.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I see Mets is on his usual lies and deflection.

Meanwhile, at least Chaya Raichik is more honest about her goals than Mets is.

Attachment 137929
    This is their goal. The elimination of Transpeople.

Between labelling them as murderers to sh!t like this, it's obvious what these guys want.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This is their goal. The elimination of Transpeople.

Between labelling them as murderers to sh!t like this, it's obvious what these guys want.
    And its also obvious they won't stop there.
    They will keep going to target every single LGBTQ+ person too. And it won't stop there either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Texas school legally punished Black student over hairstyle, judge says

Then what good is the law? This ruling doesn't make sense to me. If this young man's hairstyle is not protected then what is the point?
    The ruling is bizarre.

After about three hours of testimony in Anahuac, state District Judge Chap Cain III ruled in favor of the school district, saying its policy is not discriminatory because the CROWN Act does not say that exemptions for long hair can be made for hairstyles that are protected by the law, including locs. And he said courts must not attempt to rewrite legislation.
    The CROWN Act, which took effect in September, prohibits race-based hair discrimination and bars employers and schools from penalizing people because of hair texture or protective hairstyles including Afros, braids, locs, twists or Bantu knots.
    The judge cited the law but it doesn't appear he even knows what braids or locs are because the law covers the boy's hairstyle.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-22-2024 at 04:27 PM.

The ruling is bizarre.
    The judge cited the law but it doesn't appear have even knows what braids or locs are because the law covers the boy's hairstyle.
    Or, like the Supreme Court, he knows the law and doesn't care.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    It's a good thing Democrats are working to lower future college tuitions then.

https://www.baldwin.senate.gov/news/...d-tech-college

Anyone want to take bets on which party will vote against this legislation?
    Let's look at what it does.

• Creates a partnership between the federal government and states to waive tuition and fees for two years of community and technical college programs for eligible students, while promoting key reforms to accelerate student success;
    • Creates a sliding scale for federal share beginning at 100% for the first year and ending at 80% for the fifth and subsequent years;
    • Ensures that programs offer academic credits that are transferable to four-year institutions in their state, or occupational training that leads to recognized credentials;
    • Maintains and encourages state funding for higher education;
    • Establishes a student success fund to improve enrollment, retention, transfer, or completion rates and labor market outcomes for underserved student populations, including students of color and low-income and fist generation college students, who attend community and technical colleges at disproportionate rates;
    • Waives two years of tuition and fees for eligible students at tribal colleges and universities; and
    • Establishes a new grant program to provide pathways to success at historically black colleges and universities and minority-serving institutions by covering a significant portion of tuition and fees for the first two years of attendance for low-income students.
    A lot of this is increased federal and state spending. If the problem is that colleges make poor decisions, and spend too much, the taxpayers shouldn't subsidize that.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Is this a younger photo of Nex Benedict? My understanding was that they considered themselves non-binary...how exactly did they destroy their body? I'm not aware that they were on hormones or anything.
    My guess is she's implying without any evidence that they died because they somehow destroyed their body, be it with hard drugs (not the gender-affirming kind) or some kind of other similar bad decision.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The ruling is bizarre.

The judge cited the law but it doesn't appear have even knows what braids or locs are because the law covers the boy's hairstyle.
    This could be verified by checking out the website for the law.

https://texascrownact.org/

They literally define it as natural hair.

Natural hair is hair that has not been chemically altered to change its kinky, curly, or coily state. This includes traditional Black hairstyles such as locs, braided extensions, twists and fades.
    The CROWN ACT was created in 2019 by Dove and the CROWN Coalition, in partnership with then State Senator Holly J. Mitchell of California, to ensure protection against discrimination based on race-based hairstyles by extending statutory protection to hair texture and protective styles such as braids, locs, twists, and knots in the workplace and public schools.
    The legislation also seems clear.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT relating to discrimination on the basis of hair texture or protective hairstyle associated with race.
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
    SECTIONA1.AASubchapter Z, Chapter 25, Education Code, is amended by adding Section 25.902 to read as follows:
    Sec.A25.902.AAPROHIBITION ON CERTAIN DISCRIMINATION IN STUDENT DRESS OR GROOMING POLICY. (a) In this section, "protective
    hairstyle" includes braids, locks, and twists.
    (b)AAAny student dress or grooming policy adopted by a school district, including a student dress or grooming policy for any extracurricular activity, may not discriminate against a hair texture or protective hairstyle commonly or historically associated with race.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This could be verified by checking out the website for the law.

https://texascrownact.org/

They literally define it as natural hair.

The legislation also seems clear.
    This post just illustrates that you, like the judge and school in question don't understand what braids, locks and twists are. The author of the bill specifically said that the bill was meant to protect students from just this kind of discrimination.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This post just illustrates that you, like the judge and school in question don't understand what braids, locks and twists are. The author of the bill specifically said that the bill was meant to protect students from just this kind of discrimination.
    I was agreeing with Username Taken, and saying that the website for the law supports his understanding of it.

I literally posted the section of the bill that says it protects students from discrimination based on dreadlocks, as well as noting sections from a website that say that locs are covered as an example of natural hair.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    What that school system is doing to that kid is so fucking stupid. And the courts letting them get away with violating that law by playing word games is appalling.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSe4sN_Gfhk

The attorney for the young man just got an e-mail from the school district. Who view this as a victory against affirmative action and will get rid of the Crown Act.

The Crown act was created because of this very school district.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    The constant between the three replies I received was agreement about the conservative and disagreement about the liberal perception.
    Am I right in supposing you all align with the left-wing?
    Even though both were generalizations I perceived a lack of accountability regarding the progressist movement on the American current situation.
    I understand it's much easier to see the ugly face of the other than to admit the problem on our side.
    There are other examples of hate coming from liberals like the defund the police creating no-law zones or the online canceling culture.
    I mentioned antisemitism because of what it represents to world history, It's not a simple criticism of Israel's government actions when we see the "From the river to the sea" protests, the weak response the Ivy League presidents gave on that congress testimony, or the Stranger Things actor receiving hate attacks on social media for being a proud gay jew.

No true civil rights defender should be conniving to it. As far as no true patriot should support someone who doesn't respect the democratic process of the country.
    Yes, I am unabashedly liberal.

I acknowledged that there are fringe elements on the left. I think many people often conflate anger with hate, though. Defund the police is not an example of hate and actually has many layers. Some just want funds for services that police are not trained or qualified for to be reallocated to other organizations which are better equipped to handle them and don't think that it is necessary for police to have military grade weapons like tanks. Those at the far end of the spectrum think that we don't need police at all (or much fewer of them). I don't think I've heard anyone on these boards call for no-law zones. Many on the left even agree that cancel culture often goes too far, but in reality it is no better on the right (Bud Light, et al). There was a very long discussion on "From the river to the sea" and that it can have a variety of interpretations (though some will disagree). I think almost everybody on the left roasted the Ivy League presidents in question.

What do you consider fringe right? To me, there isn't one anymore because most Republicans have come to accept what was once considered fringe as truth. Most of the things that seem like they should be easy to accept (global climate change is largely manmade, vaccines work, Trump lost the Election, etc, etc) are ideas that a huge percent of Republicans struggle with.

With regards to civil rights, though, nobody's freedoms are being impugned by them catching heat on the internet. Response to racism, homophobic and transphobic attacks, antisemitism, and sexism are all anger. Othering anybody because who they are doesn't fit into an individual's idea of what is acceptable is hate. Those on the left get angry because of hateful things that those on the right say and do!
    Last edited by 4saken1; 02-22-2024 at 04:19 PM.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    It's a good thing Democrats are working to lower future college tuitions then.

https://www.baldwin.senate.gov/news/...d-tech-college

Anyone want to take bets on which party will vote against this legislation?
    Man...

Just looking to address the cost of community college/tech school?

That is roughly along the lines of saying...

The cost of automobile insurance is out of control. In an attempt to address that reality, we will be proposing measures that could lower the cost of insuring an electric vehicle.
    While it is better than just not doing anything, it seems like it is avoiding addressing the bulk of the issue.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/l...chelors-degree

What’s the Average Student Loan Debt for a Bachelor’s Degree?
    Typically, public colleges will be cheaper than private ones, but you might get more financial aid at a private school that could make it cheaper to attend than a public one. According to College Board research, these were the average tuition and fees of colleges for full-time students in the 2022-2023 academic year:

Public four-year in-state: $10,950.

Public four-year out-of-state: $28,240.

Private nonprofit four-year: $39,400.