Page 47 of 342 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If I understand you correctly, "far more people" are getting into the United States by overstaying their Visas than by crossing the border through other means.

Do you have a recent source for this to suggest that the number of people overstaying their Visas is well in excess of the number of migrants crossing through the southern border?
    You can google it, it's not some top secret information. Total numbers tracked over time aren't given each year so the last report was 2016 which gave the total as 60% of the illegal population was from visa over stays and since then reporting has indicated it's around a million people every year and studies have shown that once over stayed they don't often return home so it's not likely that 60% has changed.

So again, the clear choice is to tackle visa overstays if you're serious about decreasing the number of illegal immigrants in the country.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    So again, the clear choice is to tackle visa overstays if you're serious about decreasing the number of illegal immigrants in the country.

But then Republicans couldn’t rile up their base with fear, hatred and white nationalist rhetoric.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

But then Republicans couldn’t rile up their base with fear, hatred and white nationalist rhetoric.
    That's exactly what I said, between losing the fear rhetoric, having to go against big business and changing demographics in rural areas you're just not going to see Republicans go after visa overstays.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

That's exactly what I said, between losing the fear rhetoric, having to go against big business and changing demographics in rural areas you're just not going to see Republicans go after visa overstays.

That discussion has already been had with Mets during the “open borders” debate where he defended the Republican family separation policy under Trump and Jeff Sessions.

The argument was made that this would also address illegal immigration as many businesses hire and pay them under the table and off the books to avoid taxes.

It’s just another deflection from the point of the original post — that Republicans like Abbott don’t respect the law and are vile enough to let children drown unaided.

While conservatives talk around the issue and pretend they see nothing wrong.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-15-2024 at 09:03 AM.

Vaccination rates are hitting extremely dangerous levels. But hey why should antivaxers care about people with autoimmune disorders and other high risk populations?

US verges on vaccination tipping point, faces thousands of needless deaths: FDA

Ultimate Member

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

You can google it, it's not some top secret information. Total numbers tracked over time aren't given each year so the last report was 2016 which gave the total as 60% of the illegal population was from visa over stays and since then reporting has indicated it's around a million people every year and studies have shown that once over stayed they don't often return home so it's not likely that 60% has changed.

Yes, but the big visa overstay issues are short-term visitor and student visas, not work visas, so it’s not about appeasing corporations at all.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Vaccination rates are hitting extremely dangerous levels. But hey why should antivaxers care about people with autoimmune disorders and other high risk populations?

I'm not surprised.

Lots of young kids are getting sick from stuff I thought had been eliminated in Canada.

If it's that bad in Canada, I can only imagine what's happening in the US.

Now, if the science antivaxers have used is legitimate we should see a corresponding decrease in new diagnosis of autism.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I support vaccines, both in people getting them and the science behind them.

But I also believe people have the right NOT to get them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

For adults, folks can do whatever they want. They just have to make sure not to infect anyone else with whatever they come down with (if they fall sick).

If they can't vaccinate their kids, then they should home school or something.

I don't want someone else's paranoia impact my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    For adults, folks can do whatever they want. They just have to make sure not to infect anyone else with whatever they come down with (if they fall sick).

If they can't vaccinate their kids, then they should home school or something.

I don't want someone else's paranoia impact my kids.
    This is pretty much par for the course with the right.

A. I can do anything I want to and I don't care about how it affects anyone else.

B. I can impose my will on others and I don't care that they might want to control their own lives.

C. If anyone tries to impose their will on.me I will make their lives a living hell.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    This is pretty much par for the course with the right.

A. I can do anything I want to and I don't care about how it affects anyone else.

B. I can impose my will on others and I don't care that they might want to control their own lives.

C. If anyone tries to impose their will on.me I will make their lives a living hell.
    Exactly.

Knowing what we know, not vaccinating children can only be considered risky behavior, not just for the unvaccinated kids but for the kids around them.

People forget (or don't know) that some of these vaccinations weren't just made for the children but also for the adults that provide care to them. I got Chicken Pox working with kids in Sunday School many years ago, so I know firsthand the impact that unvaccinated kids can have on adults. I was lucky that it was something like Chicken Pox and not something a lot more deadly (Chicken Pox makes one sick but can be treated with antibiotics, the problem is that it leaves some permanent scarring on the body).

Sure, anyone can engage in risky behavior like driving and drinking but said individuals have to make sure their own decisions don't impact anyone else.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I was lucky that it was something like Chicken Pox and not something a lot more deadly (Chicken Pox makes one sick but can be treated with antibiotics, the problem is that it leaves some permanent scarring on the body).
    Chicken pox is the virus that causes shingles, which is brutally painful at best and has some serious outcomes. Never getting chicken pox is a good thing.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

Then they also have the right to be effing stupid and get sick and/or die, just as long as they stay the hell away from me. I got no patience for morons who willingly risk the health of others to justify their nonsensical viewpoints.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!