Page 82 of 338 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 5068
    Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    If it doesn't work as a deterrent, it's because most criminals don't believe that they'll be caught. If course, we have no way of knowing how many people think about committing crime, but decide not to, out of fear of the death penalty.
    If you don't care about decades in the American prison system, why would you care about a quicker ending? Life as you know it will be over anyway if you get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    If you commit the crime worthy of the death penalty then it doesn't matter what color your skin is. And an eye for an eye gets misconstrued all the time as being ongoing. If I poked out one of your eyes then you would poke out one of mine, and then we both stop there. No more eyes being lost and no one going blind. The death penalty was a deterrent until it began to take like a decade from conviction to execution. It shouldn't be immediate as mistakes do happen but it shouldn't take forever either.
    Certainty of punishment is a much greater deterrent than severity of punishment ever can be.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

If it doesn't work as a deterrent, it's because most criminals don't believe that they'll be caught. If course, we have no way of knowing how many people think about committing crime, but decide not to, out of fear of the death penalty.
    And then there are those that don't give a damn and commit violent crimes anyway.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    If you support the death penalty, you must accept that innocent people will be put to death. That poor people will be put todeathmore than wealthy people, and that minorities will be put to death more than white people.
    If you are good with that...
    Yeah, that's pretty much why I stopped thinking the death penalty was a good idea. You can't tell me rich white guys don't commit crimes "worthy" of the death penalty, it's just that rich white guys often have better lawyers, or they have connections with law enforcement that make it so they don't become suspects to begin with. Until we can fix that imbalance the death penalty seems less like a sentence for those who commit heinous crimes and more like a sentence for those who can't afford better legal representation.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

As someone who has been to prison prisons and the threat of long sentences or even the death penalty work as a deterrent. The men I was locked up with myself included didnt think we would get caught. But that was just a small part of us. There were more than not who just didnt give a damn. We did what we wanted to do without worry of the police or the courts. And listening to the people I was locked up against the sentence they received also was not going to stop them from going right back out and doing it again.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

If you commit the crime worthy of the death penalty then it doesn't matter what color your skin is. And an eye for an eye gets misconstrued all the time as being ongoing. If I poked out one of your eyes then you would poke out one of mine, and then we both stop there. No more eyes being lost and no one going blind. The death penalty was a deterrent until it began to take like a decade from conviction to execution. It shouldn't be immediate as mistakes do happen but it shouldn't take forever either.
    You sound like someone who's never looked at any of the stuff the Innocence Project has done.

Ultimate Member

The only crime I'd be okay with having an automatic death penalty for is mass shooters.

They commit public acts that leave little doubt, usually leave a trail of evidence behind and take more than they can ever give back

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The only crime I'd be okay with having an automatic death penalty for is mass shooters.

They commit public acts that leave little doubt, usually leave a trail of evidence behind and take more than they can ever give back
    They are usually killed by the police forces or they commit sucide…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    They are usually killed by the police forces or they commit sucide…
    Some survive, though.

If you looked at any data anywhere, throughout history, you would see the death penalty has never been a deterrent. And of course if you want a quick death penalty, then you also have no problem with more and more innocent people being put to death.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Of course as long as we have the death penalty, it would never be restricted to one crime. Also, by their very nature, mass shooters are almost all insane. Not the 'not guilty due to insanity' kind of insane, but insane none the less. So advocating for this is saying let's only put insane people to death.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Some survive, though.
    I don’t think they typically go in expecting to. I believe martyrdom is the initial goal most of the time.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    If you support the death penalty, you must accept that innocent people will be put to death. That poor people will be put todeathmore than wealthy people, and that minorities will be put to death more than white people.
    If you are good with that...
    Another aspect of the problem of systemic racism and classism baked into our society from the beginning.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 01-28-2024 at 08:29 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    LOL somebody on CNN just said Trump will pivot to the center once Haley drops out.
    LOL!
    People were saying things like that in 2016 too. And when it didn't happen, they just kind of pretended like it had.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

There was an editorial in yesterday’s Philadelphia Daily News where the opinion was that Nikki Haley, despite trailing Trump, should stay in the GQP race. It was a highly interesting article I wanted to link to for all here to read, unfortunately, it’s behind a paywall, so I’ll try and give you the gist of the piece. The editorial stated that it’s too early for Haley to drop out, what with only two states in the bag, and with Trump up to his horrid combover in legal troubles, most notably the matter regarding the part he played on 1/6 and how that could get him bounced from the ballot via the 14th Amendment, Haley has no reason to bail at present. Could pulling for Haley be seen as a classic example of the old adage, “The enemy of my enemy is my friend”? Who can say. I’ve little love for Haley, but Trump is far and away the clear and present danger.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!