Page 271 of 350 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281321 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 5246

What I see is humoring Mets when he nitpicks definitions/terminology or brings up outside studies/math/interpretations (As shown in innumerable quotes, including what he just quoted) gets used as evidence that one is being dishonest when convenient. That's why in the case of The Week I no longer accept evidence from anywhere but the only study they cited & the article itself and I generally independently verify any evidence posted by Mets otherwise. I've always encouraged others to independently verify stories/sources in the past, so if people decide to do the same to any links I post because of this opinion then I encourage it anyway.

In the spirit of that encouragement:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Meanwhile, the latest in anti-trans panic is that the transgender day of visbility, which is March 31st, happened to fall on Easter Sunday and now they're all screaming about how Biden 'declared' it and it is an 'affront' to god-fearing Christians.

It's ridiculous.
    Do these folks not REALIZE that was going to happen eventually?

Had it not been a leap year it was going to happen next year in 2025?

Some holidays do fall on Sundays if they are linked to a certain number versus a day like Thanksgiving.

Now if Biden had said the 5th Sunday of March-they might have a point but he didn't. OTHER folks decided that day and guess who was in the White House on that day? OBAMA.

The next time it will fall on Easter will be in 2086.

It is just an excuse to be angry about something. How does it affect them anyway? At most, they might see something about it on the internet or in the news. People who celebrate Easter in a religious way should spent this day with their family and in the church, not scrolling on their phones searching for something to be angry about.

Today also happens to be a World Backup Day. And we are switching to summer time in Europe. I doubt anyone is complaining about that colliding with Easter.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Do these folks not REALIZE that was going to happen eventually?

Had it not been a leap year it was going to happen next year in 2025?

Some holidays do fall on Sundays if they are linked to a certain number versus a day like Thanksgiving.

Now if Biden had said the 5th Sunday of March-they might have a point but he didn't. OTHER folks decided that day and guess who was in the White House on that day? OBAMA.
    The date of March 31 was chosen for convenience.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...-of-visibility

The date wasn’t significant as much as it was convenient. It was far enough away from TDOR in November and Pride Month in June that it wouldn’t conflict with either. From her home in Michigan, she organized a panel just outside of Detroit. Maybe people would come or see the Facebook post and hold their own events, she thought.
    It started with activists in Detroit.

There is an easy argument that it was a bad idea for activists to promote a special day that occasionally falls on Easter Sunday, and that it's a bad idea for people outside activism circles to go for that.

Granted, I haven't seen the argument that Biden commemorating Transgender Day of Visibility is more blasphemous than what Trump did today.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...es/ar-BB1kQrMU

“HAPPY EASTER TO ALL, INCLUDING CROOKED AND CORRUPT PROSECUTORS AND JUDGES THAT ARE DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO INTERFERE WITH THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OF 2024, AND PUT ME IN PRISON,” he wrote.

“INCLUDING THOSE MANY PEOPLE THAT I COMPLETELY & TOTALLY DESPISE BECAUSE THEY WANT TO DESTROY AMERICA, A NOW FAILING NATION.”

“HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!”
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-01-2024 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Meant to say "more"
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It falls on Easter Sunday by chance, it wasn't planned that way so there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as a date and it's silly to think otherwise.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Water boys gonna carry water.

It fell on Easter once so far by pure chance, are you saying no holidays should fall in late March and most of April just because the rare year where they'll overlap? Please...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It falls on Easter Sunday by chance, it wasn't planned that way so there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as a date and it's silly to think otherwise.
    It will always fall on Easter at some point. Next time is actually 2030. That is how the days of the week go.

It was set on a DAY the 31st of March not the 5th Sunday of March.

There is a difference that the GOP don't get.

This day will not always be on Easter until the date falls back in 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

There is a difference that the GOP don't get.
    Oh, they get it. It's just too useful to pretend otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

There is an easy argument that it was a bad idea for activists to promote a special day that occasionally falls on Easter Sunday, and that it's a bad idea for people outside activism circles to go for that.

Granted, I haven't seen the argument that Biden commemorating Transgender Day of Visibility is less blasphemous than what Trump did today.

*face palm* Hmm, something that has been March 31 since its beginning and Biden had nothing to do with it (the same as he has nothing to do with Trump being tried for numerous crimes that Trump chose to commit including the insurrection) or Trump using a day Christians allegedly revere as a day of hope and triumph and turning it into his standard hate tirade? Which is worse?

Doesn't this violate gag orders and other restrictions laid down by judges to prevent Trump from trying to whip up violence and threats towards witnesses, judges, their families, and others? Also, orders restricting him from trying to have these cases tried in the courts of the public opinion of his hate-filled, sad and ignorant supporters?

My only hope is that, tomorrow, or whenever these judges are back on the bench, Trump finds his f*t @$$ in jail for endlessly flaunting and ignoring court orders with his usual entitled attitude that he can do whatever he wants. By now, it must be obvious for heaven knows how many times over that he is never going to obey these orders and Donny conman needs to finally learn for the irst time in his seven decades that there are consequences he cannot avoid.
    Oh,

I know he probably hopes it happens and that it will cement his win with his moronic base. But, to paraphrase Jon Stewart: Yes. people facing the consequences of their actions in a courtroom should always be decided by popularity and popular opinion.
    Power with Girl is better.

screenshot.jpg
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    It is just an excuse to be angry about something. How does it affect them anyway? At most, they might see something about it on the internet or in the news. People who celebrate Easter in a religious way should spent this day with their family and in the church, not scrolling on their phones searching for something to be angry about.

Today also happens to be a World Backup Day. And we are switching to summer time in Europe. I doubt anyone is complaining about that colliding with Easter.
    That seems to be such a large part of the world we live in.

It’s so much worse now with social media. We’re just feed things to piss us off 24 hours a day. Gotta get those clicks, views, and likes.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Granted, I haven't seen the argument that Biden commemorating Transgender Day of Visibility is less blasphemous than what Trump did today.

Kanye West Tactics. Anything to stay relevant.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Very happy to hear that Erdogan's party got a shellacking in municipal elections in Turkey yesterday. They had hoped to regain the capital Ankara and the largest city, Istanbul. Instead, the secular opposition held on to both those mayors and won contests across the country. 15 AKP mayors gone.