Page 199 of 342 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209249299 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 5118

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are some major advantages.

If she loses his Veep, she at least prevents a likely rival from developing a national profile.
    And the ticket could win. And Trump might easily not last the full term.
    That is a good point, but I think Haley will play the long game. She can spend the next 4 years writing a book or doing a speaking tour, and just sit back and watch what happens.

Besides, if Trump is elected, how much of a national profile do you think he'd let his VP develop? The only thing I remember of Mike Pence, other than him finally doing the right thing on January 6, was him standing behind Trump at press conferences and gazing at him lovingly. And unless Democrats end up making huge gains- enough to ensure a successful impeachment that would actually remove Trump- if he is reelected I don't see how he wouldn't finish out a full term. Republicans will never vote to remove him, he can quash any federal case against him, and the Supreme Court seems eager to take his side.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't think the article suggests that those five people were the only ones who were surprised.

You seem to very confident on the idea that this works a particular way in practice.

Anecdotal evidence isn't going to resolve this. A person can work for four companies in two fields, and the experiences will be limited to that context.

Is there any hard data on the idea that the overwhelming majority (~99%) of employees in at will states are given specific explanations for their dismissals from work?

It'll be interesting how Trump is seen by the party in the long run.

Part of how he won the nomination was running against Bush.

Dick Cheney benefitted after Watergate by being a Republican with no connections to the Nixon administration, which is a lesson that Liz Cheney is aware of.

It'll be interesting what happens in the next few years.

There are some major advantages.

If she loses his Veep, she at least prevents a likely rival from developing a national profile.
    And the ticket could win. And Trump might easily not last the full term.
    The hard data is that there isn't a push to get rid of it in a deep blue state like Mass. If it were a big labor issue wouldn't it be a big talking point in a very liberal state? The truth of the matter is that it's largely a toothless provision and doesn't make it any easier to fire an employee and pretty much every single trade magazine will tell you that, I'll post a few for you but it's literally in every single article about the subject:

https://www.shrm.org/topics-tools/ne...yees-dont-like

https://resources.workable.com/tutor...-repercussions
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

McConnell endorses Trump after years of acrimony between the two men

“It is abundantly clear that former President Trump has earned the requisite support of Republican voters to be our nominee for President of the United States,” McConnell said in a statement to The Washington Post. “It should come as no surprise that as nominee, he will have my support. During his presidency, we worked together to accomplish great things for the American people including tax reform that supercharged our economy and a generational change of our federal judiciary — most importantly, the Supreme Court. I look forward to the opportunity of switching from playing defense against the terrible policies the Biden administration has pursued to a sustained offense geared towards making a real difference in improving the lives of the American people.”
    Hive Mind, Repub Cult, or just IDGaD mentality
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Don't take this personally, but you don't understand what makes Qpublicans like Haley tick. They have a hive mind mentality that would put the Borg from Star Trek to shame. There's no doubt in my mind Haley will waste little time debasing herself and slurping Trump under the tissue paper thin guise of "party unity". I'd be shocked if she doesn't. Hell, she's already on record having said that if she were to win the election, she'd pardon Trump, so I'm sure she'll have no problem kissing the ring, or rather, his orange ass. And playing the long game as you suggest will do Haley no good, even if Trump is gone, the rabid loons he has for followers will still be around, and they won't forget her having opposed their leader, so she can't count on their support in future elections. Short and sweet, any aspirations Haley has for president are dead and buried.
    Of course, I don’t take it personally.

I’m simply making a different prediction to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Does the 50+ years of unlawful killings through rampant use of excessive force, forced displacement, abusive detention, restrictions on movement, and discriminatory policies also end if Hamas surrenders?
    No, but you have to start somewhere. There is no panacea that will solve everything. So stop demanding a perfect resolution that doesn't exist. Those who demand all or nothing usually get nothing.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

https://apnews.com/article/kentucky-...1d2df6a7ef5c4a

The Republican-led Kentucky Senate voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to grant the right to collect child support for unborn children, advancing a bill that garnered bipartisan support.

The measure would allow a parent to seek child support up to a year after giving birth to retroactively cover pregnancy expenses. The legislation — Senate Bill 110 — won Senate passage on a 36-2 vote with little discussion to advance to the House. Republicans have supermajorities in both chambers.

Republican state Sen. Whitney Westerfield said afterward that the broad support reflects a recognition that pregnancy carries with it an obligation for the other parent to help cover the expenses incurred during those nine months. Westerfield is a staunch abortion opponent and sponsor of the bill.

Not surprised. If anything, I'm amazed she lasted this long, despite the odds clearly stacked against her. Most figured the only reason she stuck around was the slim hope that Trump's legal issues, especially the 1/6 problem would crush him. But, when SCOTUS agreed to hear his immunity appeal, delaying the trial for God only knows how long, that was the kiss of death for Haley's campaign. The only question now is how long before she knuckles under and swears fealty to Caramel Caligula like everyone in the GQP have done. I'm setting the over/under on Friday.
    I’m guessing she’s swear her loyalty to him as soon as she announces that she’s ending her campaign. She’ll probably also announce that she’s legally changing her name to Nimbra Birdbrain because that’s what Glorious Leader has dubbed her.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Liberty University fined $14 million, largest penalty ever imposed via Clery Act

I bet they will have to shut down in the next decade.
    It’s a pity they didn’t shutter last decade…

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m guessing she’s swear her loyalty to him as soon as she announces that she’s ending her campaign. She’ll probably also announce that she’s legally changing her name to Nimbra Birdbrain because that’s what Glorious Leader has dubbed her.
    Well, she didn't endorse Trump in her exit speech. That does make me wonder- will she continue to withhold support, or will she cave in eventually. I think that by withholding support, she may leave a favorable impression with the people who did vote for her that didn't want Trump, which would be good for her in the long run.

On the other hand, McConnell rushed to endorse Trump. Profile in courage, that one.

She has announced the end of the campaign.

And none of that featured in the speech.

Not surprised. If anything, I'm amazed she lasted this long, despite the odds clearly stacked against her. Most figured the only reason she stuck around was the slim hope that Trump's legal issues, especially the 1/6 problem would crush him. But, when SCOTUS agreed to hear his immunity appeal, delaying the trial for God only knows how long, that was the kiss of death for Haley's campaign. The only question now is how long before she knuckles under and swears fealty to Caramel Caligula like everyone in the GQP have done. I'm setting the over/under on Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I don’t think she will swear fealty to the Donald unless he gives her sometime she wants presumably the Vice-Presidency.

(There’s absolutely no advantage to her knuckling under to the Trump unless she gets something worthwhile…The Donald isn’t the sort to “forgive and forget”, her saying now “what a wonderful guy he is” is a complete waste of time. In a few years time, he’ll just be an unpleasant memory, Republican supporters will wake up, realise that he was a complete disaster, and those few Republicans who stand up to him now will be rewarded. I think she has enough guts and intelligence to play the long game.)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I think she realizes she will do better waiting four years and running as "the candidate who beat Trump in several primaries" then to lose an election as his Veep.
    Don't take this personally, but you don't understand what makes Qpublicans like Haley tick. They have a hive mind mentality that would put the Borg from Star Trek to shame. There's no doubt in my mind Haley will waste little time debasing herself and slurping Trump under the tissue paper thin guise of "party unity". I'd be shocked if she doesn't. Hell, she's already on record having said that if she were to win the election, she'd pardon Trump, so I'm sure she'll have no problem kissing the ring, or rather, his orange ass. And playing the long game as you suggest will do Haley no good, even if Trump is gone, the rabid loons he has for followers will still be around, and they won't forget her having opposed their leader, so she can't count on their support in future elections. Short and sweet, any aspirations Haley has for president are dead and buried.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    That is a good point, but I think Haley will play the long game. She can spend the next 4 years writing a book or doing a speaking tour, and just sit back and watch what happens.

Besides, if Trump is elected, how much of a national profile do you think he'd let his VP develop? The only thing I remember of Mike Pence, other than him finally doing the right thing on January 6, was him standing behind Trump at press conferences and gazing at him lovingly. And unless Democrats end up making huge gains- enough to ensure a successful impeachment that would actually remove Trump- if he is reelected I don't see how he wouldn't finish out a full term. Republicans will never vote to remove him, he can quash any federal case against him, and the Supreme Court seems eager to take his side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    McConnell endorses Trump after years of acrimony between the two men

Hive Mind, Repub Cult, or just IDGaD mentality
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Well, she didn't endorse Trump in her exit speech. That does make me wonder- will she continue to withhold support, or will she cave in eventually. I think that by withholding support, she may leave a favorable impression with the people who did vote for her that didn't want Trump, which would be good for her in the long run.

On the other hand, McConnell rushed to endorse Trump. Profile in courage, that one.
    I don't see Haley looking to ruin her career like other Never-Trumpers who've committed to it have, the GoP in general are known to fall in line when it's time to vote, and given the preponderance of evidence that folks in her situation back the nominee (Including Sanders) I don't see why she wouldn't in this case. The long game is something rarely played in modern conservative politics in America, and when it is employed it's mainly played by the veterans like McConnell rather than the newbies.

If there's something specific about Haley that anyone thinks would give her motivation to actually take a stand against Trump even when not politically convenient, I would genuinely want to hear it so we could have a discussion about it. Republicans who actually stick to their principles are vastly outnumbered in today's GoP, and they are generally shunned for it.

Does the 50+ years of unlawful killings through rampant use of excessive force, forced displacement, abusive detention, restrictions on movement, and discriminatory policies also end if Hamas surrenders?
    During those 50+ years both sides have attacked each other and committed atrocities, a fact that you conveniently left out. On more than one occasion, Israel was attacked by a coalition of its neighbors, for example. Why do you think Gaza is even under Israel control right now, when it was a part of Egypt before? Perhaps you should study some history.

Quote Originally Posted by comictimes View Post
    The ones who weren't killed in the first place (there are reports about both sides killing them) and weren't subsequently killed by IDF's somewhat indiscriminate bombing aren't that many anymore. You also have to discount the ones the IDF killed while trying to reach them waving a white flag. Oh boy indeed.
    If Hamas hadn't kidnapped (and raped, murdered) hostages, they wouldn't have run the risk of getting killed by either side. They would've been at home with their families.

Hamas - a terrorist organization - surrenders and this ends. Is that hard to understand?
    Last edited by hyped78; 03-06-2024 at 10:10 AM.

Pretty much.

The main impediment to a two-state solution is the actions of supporters of Palestine.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    No, but you have to start somewhere. There is no panacea that will solve everything. So stop demanding a perfect resolution that doesn't exist. Those who demand all or nothing usually get nothing.
    Typically the first step is to stop shooting at each other. Then people work towards some form of agreement. And sadly for the victims on both sides of this (both the civilians HAMAS killed or otherwise brutalized and the Palestinians who were bombed) reconciliation and justice are often an either/or choice. Getting one prevents the other unless there is total victory by one side.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Pretty much.

The main impediment to a two-state solution is the actions of supporters of Palestine.
    Netenyahu is a pretty big impediment himself. The settlements he supports makes the two state solution harder with every new house built.
    Dark does not mean deep.