Page 327 of 360 FirstFirst ... 227277317323324325326327328329330331337 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,905 of 5400

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I had forgotten that I posted that earlier.
    Yeah, but things have changed a bit:

"Meanwhile, an effort has taken hold to counter Aipac’s bid – backed by a coalition of progressive groups including the Sunrise Movement, the political arm of Jewish Voice for Peace and Justice Democrats, a Pac supporting progressive congressional campaigns. The group, called Reject Aipac, announced last month plans to organize members of Congress to disavow the pro-Israel group and to fundraise on behalf of progressive members facing Aipac-backed primary opponents.

Reject Aipac made its case in a splashy “explainer” video, released on 11 April and narrated by the actor Wallace Shawn, who telegraphs the group’s message that “Aipac’s only remaining tactic is to silence Democratic incumbents with multimillion-dollar primaries funded by Republican dark money”."

E: Misread reject as recent for whatever reason. I'm glad that there are Jewish groups fighting against AIPAC
    Last edited by Dalak; 04-22-2024 at 07:23 AM.

Ultimate Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ce-reparations

France should repay billions of dollars to Haiti to cover a debt formerly enslaved people were forced to pay in return for recognising the island’s independence, according to a coalition of civil society groups that is launching a new push for reparations.

The Caribbean island state became the first in the region to win its independence in 1804 after a revolt by enslaved people. But in a move that many Haitians blame for two centuries of turmoil, France later imposed harsh reparations for lost income and that debt was only fully repaid in 1947.

The group of about 20 non-governmental organisations currently in Geneva for a UN Permanent Forum on People of African Descent (PFPAD) are seeking a new independent commission to oversee the restitution of the debt, which they refer to as a ransom.
    The problem now is that Haiti's government has fallen and the country has fallen into chaos. France absolutely owes this country (and a lot of their former colonies) reparations.

Haiti is one of the greatest injustices in human history, but the world has pretty much turned a blind eye to it.

Nonetheless, France's role in decimating their former colonies and the direct influence they to this day is absurd. France keeps complaining about immigration but they have a long history of exploiting these colonies and their resources so it's ridiculous for them to benefit from those people's resources, help impoverish those same countries and whine and moan about those same people entering their country. Why the f>.k did they colonize those people and utilize their resources in the first place??

If someone takes my stuff and the stuff that I worked for, you best believe that I would demand benefit from it.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-22-2024 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    "Not guilty" isn't the same as "Innocent" though
    It's better than "Guilty" though.

And it allows for an argument that the prosecution didn't have enough of a case.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    And you didn't address any of the conservative bigotry and fascism exposed in said video or any other provided.

Or why someone who supports a party that promotes racism and homophobia should be taken seriously with regards to objective morality and ethical behavior.

Let's leave it at that.
    I've talked about bigotry before.

But you haven't explained to me why I should watch the video. Is it just well-made, or do you trust this Youtuber?

If I was sharing a 17 minute video with the same level of commentary and explanation you provided, how would you want people to respond to me?

If you have questions about bigotry or fascism, you could ask me. But it still seems you're bothered that I haven't reached the same conclusion you did.

One thing, I really hate how news articles have been portraying Trump as someone who has already won the election. I've seen it too often where they practically say that Trump is going to win, even if they phrase it as a warning.
    It is understandable that some people would think Trump is heavily favored.

He consistently leads in the polls, and his electoral college advantage in 2016 and 2020 suggests that he could probably win the election even if he loses the popular vote by 2-3 points. Biden's approval rating is mediocre, and he has to appeal to voters who want very different things (The majority of his supporters do not agree with the "Uncommitted" crowd.)

The main argument for Biden is that the trials will hurt Trump, that voters will take the election more seriously as it gets closer, that current controversies will get better, and that Republicans will continue to do stupid things to hurt the party's brand. I'm leaning this way, but I could see someone else thinking that voters are locked in when we have a race between two Presidents with 100% name ID.

That said, what are the examples of when the objective media (news articles, as you said) seems to think Trump's likely to win in November.

Well, the voting yesterday on Israel aid had 37 Democrats and 21 Republicans voting against, so they should target both cohorts
    They'll have a greater ability to have an impact in some districts than others.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Agreed. I'm prepared to answer responses to the possible outcome of 'not guilty' being seen as a vindication for Trump with "Yep! He's innocent, just like OJ!"
    There are some distinctions.

OJ Simpsons slashed his ex-wife and Ron Goldstein. The authorities gave him a favorable trial, to avoid the bad optics of a conviction of an all-white jury. There isn't much of a sense that the Manhattan jury favors Trump.

The case is also different. Everyone can agree that double homicide is a serious crime. What Trump did is nowhere near that level.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    OJ Simpsons slashed his ex-wife and Ron Goldstein. The authorities gave him a favorable trial, to avoid the bad optics of a conviction of an all-white jury. There isn't much of a sense that the Manhattan jury favors Trump.

The case is also different. Everyone can agree that double homicide is a serious crime. What Trump did is nowhere near that level.
    No -- a racist cop blew the trial by perjuring himself on the stand and directly impugning the credibility of the prosecution.

Instead of blaming people for responding to racism the solution is to stop being racist -- and dishonest about it.

And many would argue that attempting to overthrow American democracy to forcibly impose white nationalism upon its citizens is equally problematic -- if not more so.

Edit: No Trump isn't on trial for that but people had no problem watching Simpson go to jail for nine years for an unrelated crime.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-22-2024 at 09:25 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

One thing, I really hate how news articles have been portraying Trump as someone who has already won the election. I've seen it too often where they practically say that Trump is going to win, even if they phrase it as a warning.
    I noticed that on this article too. And I've been noticing the same on various articles here in Europe. I don't necessarily understand the rhetoric. If anything, the election is 50/50 at this point, perhaps?
    Journalism can't help it's self, it has to word things in ways that get readers attention, even if it tugs gently on the edges of truth. As long as the race is portrayed as 50-50, arguments can be made either way. So playing up Trump is more sensational than talking about Biden.

Still, it bothers me.
    Turmp is the media's gravy train, has been ever since he came down that escalator in 2015. By twisting the narrative to make it look like Don Snoreleone is neck and neck with Biden gets people interested enough to read/watch/click for more, and that's just what the media wants. Journalism isn't in it for truth, justice and the American Way, not anymore (if they EVER were), these days, they're all about the Benjamins, and Trump rakes it in for them big time.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Turmp is the media's gravy train, has been ever since he came down that escalator in 2015. By twisting the narrative to make it look like Don Snoreleone is neck and neck with Biden gets people interested enough to read/watch/click for more, and that's just what the media wants. Journalism isn't in it for truth, justice and the American Way, not anymore (if they EVER were), these days, they're all about the Benjamins, and Trump rakes it in for them big time.
    Actually, even here in Europe a lot of media outlets miss Trump. They hate him but they love that he generates sales. Biden does his work without generating controversy (generally speaking) and that doesn't sell newspapers.

""I have a spoiler alert: there's nothing wrong with trying to influence an election. It's called democracy," says Trump's lawyer, Todd Blanche."

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little bit...

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    At least they didn't believe he had a shot the first time. But geez.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ce-reparations

The problem now is that Haiti's government has fallen and the country has fallen into chaos. France absolutely owes this country (and a lot of their former colonies) reparations.

Haiti is one of the greatest injustices in human history, but the world has pretty much turned a blind eye to it.

Nonetheless, France's role in decimating their former colonies and the direct influence they to this day is absurd. France keeps complaining about immigration but they have a long history of exploiting these colonies and their resources so it's ridiculous for them to benefit from those people's resources, help impoverish those same countries and whine and moan about those same people entering their country. Why the f>.k did they colonize those people and utilize their resources in the first place??

If someone takes my stuff and the stuff that I worked for, you best believe that I would demand benefit from it.
    And the US did a poor job with the native Americans, Belgium with Congo and Germany with Namibia. There's no money to be made in paying reparations or slowing down climate change.

In danger only if that side takes full control which is not easy to do. Still, it is a valid issue that we need to be concerned about.
    Honestly, you’d be alarmed at how fragile democracies really are, especially when some of the important guardrails and norms that help maintain it have been eroded or removed.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Absolutely, I'm not defending the GOP, they're playing political games that don't benefit the country.

But a majority of Democrats are pointing fingers at Biden because, quite frankly, the bill got killed by the GOP in 2024, but the border crisis didn't start in 2024 - it's the 4th year of Biden's term and the record number of border encounters before that were already a fact. The border is the single biggest issue that is likely to impact his numbers come November, unfortunately. So Mayorkas needs to do something before November to at least mitigate voter perception.
    Just reminding everyone that Trump killed an earlier bipartisan immigration bill during his own administration.
    Despite his BS he clearly has an interest in keeping this “crisis” going.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

"Dozens arrested at Yale University and Columbia cancels classes amid pro-Palestinian protests. President Biden condemned antisemitism on campuses in a statement on Sunday to mark the Jewish festival of Passover."

https://news.sky.com/story/dozens-ar...tests-13121016

Banners saying "Long Live the Intifada"............

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    Just reminding everyone that Trump killed an earlier bipartisan immigration bill during his own administration.
    Despite his BS he clearly has an interest in keeping this “crisis” going.
    That goes without saying!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    At least they didn't believe he had a shot the first time. But geez.

Hell, nobody did, including him. Trump came along at just the right time, capturing the interest of disaffected voters with his so-called "populist" message; pissed off racists who seethed after eight years of a black man in the Oval Office and longed for a great WHITE hope; and a GOP desperate to avoid their worst nightmare, that being Hillary Clinton as Barack Obama's successor. Trump changed the rules on how to run a presidential campaign from day one: he was the proverbial bull in the china shop, no filter, no politeness, unapologetic, he ranted, raved and raged, insulted anyone and everyone, generally acted like a maniac every chance he got, and people loved him for it. In Trump, they saw an everyman like themselves (ignoring the fact he lived in a Manhattan skyscraper and took dumps on a gold plated toilet), the more vulgar and reprehensible Trump acted, the more enamored he became to his growing legion of followers who were willing to jump off a cliff (or, years later, storm the Capitol) for him. The deplorable, low hanging, mouth breathing fruit that eventually became MAGA had always been among us, but had no voice, no standard bearer, but when Trump came along, he became their hero, their savior, dare I say it, their Jesus. Does Trump have a shot at winning again? Sadly, yes, but he's far more than just a prank, he's America's ongoing nightmare.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    No -- a racist cop blew the trial by perjuring himself on the stand and directly impugning the credibility of the prosecution.

Instead of blaming people for responding to racism the solution is to stop being racist -- and dishonest about it.

And many would argue that attempting to overthrow American democracy to forcibly impose white nationalism upon its citizens is equally problematic -- if not more so.

Edit: No Trump isn't on trial for that but people had no problem watching Simpson go to jail for nine years for an unrelated crime.
    Interesting video.

Mark Fuhrman was a real piece of work.

See after the trial he retired, got full pension, made a lot of money writing books, tv appearances. That should cause anybody who believes in “karma” to be severely puzzled.

(He got a 200 dollar fine, having perjured himself as a serving police officer in a murder trial. No jail time. I’d love to hear how the judge concerned explained that one.)
    Last edited by JackDaw; 04-22-2024 at 10:43 AM.