Page 236 of 351 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 5252

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    UKRAINE’S STOLEN CHILDREN

Systemic stealing of children is genocide.
    Why bother responding to a Russian propaganda post? We all know it is bullshit and should be embarrassing to even link.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

The U.S. crime rate is still dropping, FBI data shows

New FBI data confirms previous indications that crime in the U.S. declined significantly in 2023, continuing a post-pandemic trend and belying widespread perceptions that crime is rising.

The new fourth-quarter numbers showed a 13% decline in murder in 2023 from 2022, a 6% decline in reported violent crime and a 4% decline in reported property crime. That’s based on data from around 13,000 law enforcement agencies, policing about 82% of the U.S. population, that provided the FBI with quarterly data through December.

“It suggests that when we get the final data in October, we will have seen likely the largest one-year decline in murder that has ever been recorded,” said Jeff Asher, a former CIA analyst who now studies crime trends.
    As NBC News previously reported, the drop in crime does not appear to be well understood by large majorities of Americans, according to polls. A Gallup poll in December found that 77% of Americans believe crime rates are worsening.
    “The perception doesn’t match the actuality in a lot of places because people are bad at perceiving risk,” Asher said, adding that both traditional and social media tend to spotlight violence and disorder.
    This is interesting like economic news. Why doesn't the public "feel like" crime is going down when the stats say it is.

And speaking of criminals welcome to Prison Peter Navarro
    Peter Navarro Begins 4-Month Jail Sentence for Contempt of Congress

Peter Navarro, a trade adviser to former President Donald J. Trump, reported to federal prison in Miami on Tuesday, becoming the first senior Trump administration official to serve time over his role in the effort to subvert the results of the 2020 election.

Mr. Navarro, 74, who helped engineer Mr. Trump’s plans to stay in power after his electoral defeat in November 2020, was sentenced to four months in prison in January for contempt of Congress after defying a subpoena from the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot.

At a hastily organized news conference shortly before he was set to check into the Federal Correctional Institution in Miami, a low-security prison next to the Miami-Dade zoo, Mr. Navarro reprised familiar denunciations of the Justice Department and the Biden administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Why bother responding to a Russian propaganda post? We all know it is bullshit and should be embarrassing to even link.
    True. Don't feed the tankies.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by comictimes View Post
    "Children [returned to Ukraine] say that it is better for them in Russia, they see more opportunities for themselves to realize themselves there. This is a problem" Alexander Pavlichenko.

Aired on Kiev 24 a week ago, not available on their YouTube channel. I already had the audio checked, this is the translation:

"that some of the children who arrived from these territories, after returning to Ukraine, aspire to go back to Russia as they study there, better conditions were created for them and they see themselves better realized there. And this is a problem because inclusion in various processes is permanent attention and, let's say, the involvement of those children who are returned is not to abandon them, so to speak. They are back and that's already progress which can be stopped"
    Can you explain why you're posting this?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Kudos to your dad for deserting!
    Yeah, he was 17 at the time and had been in the war for 3 years. He said he hadn't had to kill anyone (directly) at that point and he had no plans to. Threw his uniform and gun into a dung heap and asked for help in a Belgian monastery. That's where the Americans found him after a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    My Dad guarded German POWs. Maybe they knew each other.
    It was a US camp near Paris. Dad learned to drive on a US Force jeep in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Yeah, he was 17 at the time and had been in the war for 3 years. He said he hadn't had to kill anyone (directly) at that point and he had no plans to. Threw his uniform and gun into a dung heap and asked for help in a Belgian monastery. That's where the Americans found him after a few days.
    Damn, drafted at 14? Props to your dad for having the courage to walk away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Damn, drafted at 14? Props to your dad for having the courage to walk away from it.
    Yes, he was a child soldier for Hitler. They put him in the uniform and had him re-arm aircraft-defense cannons, FLAK. It wasn't long until they put a gun on him and had him march towards France.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    It was a US camp near Paris. Dad learned to drive on a US Force jeep in Paris.
    Not sure where the camp was but think it was Belgum or Holland.

My Grand Dad, who fought for Germany in WWI, was a POW in England.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-19-2024 at 02:02 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    You are being deceitful again — you’ve already been told your opinion isn’t needed, especially given the fact that you’ve already made it clear where you stand on this issue.

You were provided with overwhelming evidence that Republican bigotry and policy contributed to the death of Nex after claiming “we” don’t know that they were abused — this is clearly a lie based on the evidence provided which you ignored.

You then failed to provide any counter evidence and instead chose again to engage in personal attacks to attempt to deflect from discussing actual Republican policy and behavior.

It’s that simple.
    If you don't care about my opinion, then you don't have to mention it.

But if you're going to call me out, you should be willing to ask the specific questions in a non-loaded way.

You do set a high bar that there that there is overwhelming evidence that Republican bigotry and policy contributed to the death of Nex Benedict. I don't think the evidence posted proves it. The evidence about that specifically is...
    - Nex Benedict was upset when a favorite teacher was fired after a video was used by Libsoftiktok.
    - A student who used to be at the school, and was not out as trans, thinks their experience at the school
    - The family believes bullying started after Kevin Stitt signed a law in May 2022 limiting school restrooms and changing areas to be used by individuals based on their sex.

Is there something I missed?

When it comes to evidence, if you're confident about something, you should have proof. But if someone's not expressing confidence, evidence isn't as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post

Yeah, you do have a point. When someone degenerates to the level of questioning why they should respond to a link posted about Nex's suicide and the bullying there when discussing posts about that same subject brought up by the same poster while questioning if links were posted, it's clear the goal isn't meaningful discussion.

If you want to say that a post by Tendrin is good and I should read it, that's fine.

Tendrin made multiple posts on that topic. I asked him for the one with the good information, because the first few weren't it. There was the initial incorrect story, a conversation about whether the Libs of Tiktok lady should go to jail for encouraging the violent murder of Nex Benedict, a thread that got important details on a high-salience story wrong and a claim that I was lying for saying we weren't sure what the whole story was (at the time, I noted comments by authorities that the injuries were not consistent with physical trauma.)

Demands evidence then criticizes others for calling him out for ignoring it.

Provides little to no counter evidence in response and instead claims “mistreatment”.

Rinse and repeat while turning a blind eye to bigotry and hate as the Republican Party spirals downward and attempts to take the whole nation with them.

Objectively speaking, when Nazis and white supremacists not only are welcome in but also lead your chosen political party you have no moral standing to lecture others about ethical policy and behavior.

This is why he doesn’t address the evidence but instead deflects and attacks those who provide it.
    If there's a specific point I made that you would like me to back up with evidence, just ask for it.

I am realizing that a major difference is that I'm less likely to express certainty.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    The U.S. crime rate is still dropping, FBI data shows

This is interesting like economic news. Why doesn't the public "feel like" crime is going down when the stats say it is.

And speaking of criminals welcome to Prison Peter Navarro
    Peter Navarro Begins 4-Month Jail Sentence for Contempt of Congress
    This raises some interesting questions on why people respond to particular issues.

One point is that polls are a lagging indicator, that it's going to take some time for voters to internalize good economic or safety news.

They're going to feel that crime is better when they personally feel safer.

Some forms of crime are down overall, but there are problems in specific jurisdictions. Washington DC is a mess, and it's getting heavy media coverage, partially because there was a large media presence.

Another wrinkle may be that some quality of life crimes aren't prosecuted, so these are no longer captured in statistics. That could lead to pissed off voters.

People's perceptions are also based on expectations. A drop from 500 homicides to 400 is seen as good news. An increase from 200 homicides to 250 is cause for alarm.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If there's a specific point I made that you would like me to back up with evidence, just ask for it.
    Nothing was “asked” of you so stop being dishonest.

You asked for evidence and then ignored it to engage in personal attacks and only addressed this once directly called out for your disingenuous behavior.

You can address the posts documenting Republican racism and bigotry directly — with documented counter-evidence rather than biased opinion — rather than continuing the blatant hypocrisy.

Regardless, don’t get upset just because you are being held accountable for your duplicitousness.

To be clear — the solution is to respond to the evidence with equally objective counter evidence.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-19-2024 at 04:13 PM.

There is so much going on in this thread. There is a lot to take in. I want to respond but man I dont know where to start on some of this. A few posts have made me pretty upset and I have had to process what I was seeing.

But thanks to everyone for posting their links and views. I have been learning a lot.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Nothing was “asked” of you so stop being dishonest.

You asked for evidence and then ignored it to engage in personal attacks and only addressed this once directly called out for your disingenuous behavior.

You can address the posts documenting Republican racism and bigotry directly — with documented counter-evidence rather than biased opinion — rather than continuing the blatant hypocrisy.

Regardless, don’t get upset just because you are being held accountable for your duplicitousness.
    He still hasn't truly addressed things, in fact cutting off a response mid-statement.

A relevant example of his debating in bad faith: Asking if someone has posted about a subject, and then instead of responding to a more recent post within a page of the request with more relevant information linked to the specific situation being discussed - Nex being bullied for their identity influencing their suicide . . proceeding to search for the oldest ones (When the search obviously included newer posts too) in order to serve as better attack fodder. Proof of the bad faith is the immediate response of "I'm not sure why I should comment" in a dismissive way when it's pointed out instead of replying to the information thus revealed. Additional proof is the double standard on News Sources regarding changing/updating (The Week & Daily Kos both didn't change, the one disagreed with is trash & the other is correct), highlighting it even more by defending the hypocrisy.

Instinctively lashing out when one is in the wrong is a behavior long noted in conservatives here in the US & abroad. Another stereotypical Trump behavior as well.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    There is so much going on in this thread. There is a lot to take in. I want to respond but man I dont know where to start on some of this. A few posts have made me pretty upset and I have had to process what I was seeing.

But thanks to everyone for posting their links and views. I have been learning a lot.
    I hope I for one haven't been bugging you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I hope I for one haven't been bugging you.
    Not at all. I find your posts well thought out and informed.

There are a couple of posters on here that get to me and I think we can guess who the main one is. I am getting upset reading some of the posts but I am letting those who are better spoken respond.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.