Page 300 of 347 FirstFirst ... 200250290296297298299300301302303304310 ... LastLast
Results 4,486 to 4,500 of 5197

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Sure. And people of color should also resent other PoC who are committing crimes rather than police for the gross disparities in the criminal justice system.
    Can't they do both? Someone can be guilty, and still be the victim of police brutality. Both can be true.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Can't they do both? Someone can be guilty, and still be the victim of police brutality. Both can be true.
    If arms smugglers set up a warehouse in my basement and the police blow it up when trying to arrest them, am I supposed to feel angry at the police?

So, Ashley Allison is getting ripped apart for calling O.J. Simpson a hero.

Except that's not what she said.

Allison — a former Obama administration official who also worked on Joe Biden’s presidential campaign as well as his transition team — was weighing in on the racial tensions that pervaded the country during the Simpson trial and its aftermath.

“He wasn’t a social justice leader, but he represented something for the black community in that moment, in that trial, particularly because there were two white people who had been killed,” Allison said.

“And the history around how black people have been persecuted during slavery.”
    Allison is merely summarizing how race played a major factor in how this trial was perceived by the black community because of the LAPD's history of racism. She is not condoning the murders, let alone calling Simpson a hero to the media or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Why is a city government supposed to have any position on foreign policy?
    That's a fair point.

It highlights that for a lot of activists they're going for symbolism rather than results, since a city council calling for international action isn't going to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Sure. And people of color should also resent other PoC who are committing crimes rather than police for the gross disparities in the criminal justice system.
    Polls show African Americans have a higher impression of police than of criminals.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/316571/...gn=syndication

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Possibly the result of being online too much, and not leaving your bubble much. Violent speech is being normalized because they convince themselves that people who don't want to see Israel defenseless no matter what an ass Bibi is are in favor of genocide.
    This definitely is someone who is way too online and in their bubble, but I'm guessing there's something else involved that leads to a person being that delusional.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Polls show African Americans have a higher impression of police than of criminals.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/316571/...gn=syndication
    From your link:
    Fewer than one in five Black Americans feel very confident that the police in their area would treat them with courtesy and respect.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

The Brooks Brothers Riot: How Republican F**kery Helped Influence the 2000 Election

It’s not hard to discern distinct echoes here of the far more militant demands from the aggrieved January 6 mob to overrun the Capitol barricades, attack the Capitol Police, and hunt down and menace Democratic lawmakers inside the building. One difference, though, is that the Brooks Brothers riot worked—by the time the battered and harassed Geller returned home, he saw a TV news bulletin announcing that county election officials had suspended the Miami-Dade recount, thanks to Roger Stone’s new-model Republican army. The stated objective of the Florida mob action was to preserve the narrative that the Bush-Cheney ticket beat out the Gore-Lieberman one—and with that win in hand, the Bush team mined the same potent story line. (This prime directive was neatly summed up in their derisive slogan for the other side, “Sore Loserman.”) The insurgent GOP operatives sustained the mirage of a consistent edge in the Florida vote through successive court challenges to the state recount and on through the Supreme Court’s December 2000 decision awarding the presidency to Bush.

“The closed loop of raw power here is extraordinary,” says Roosevelt University political scientist David Faris. “You have Barrett, Roberts and Kavanaugh on Bush’s legal team, who help convince the Supreme Court to issue a party-line 5-4 vote to stop counting votes in Florida. With Bush installed, Roberts eventually becomes chief justice, guts voting rights and campaign finance laws, allows Republicans to continue gerrymandering, cuts the heart out of unions and subjects the ACA to endless legal Calvinball.” At the core of this judicial revolution, Faris continues, was the logic of the electoral putsch, as test-driven in Miami: “With the Brooks Brothers riot, Republicans got their first taste of intimidating election officials, gaming the courts and playing the outrage card to tilt the scales in their favor.”
    Trump attempted a repeat of this on 1/6/2020. Both times Roger Stone was involved.
    It may happen again in key states in the coming election.
    Note some other familiar names who could have a definitive role if the 2024 election decision is somehow handed to the SCOTUS.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 04-14-2024 at 03:57 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So, Ashley Allison is getting ripped apart for calling O.J. Simpson a hero.

Except that's not what she said.

Allison is merely summarizing how race played a major factor in how this trial was perceived by the black community because of the LAPD's history of racism. She is not condoning the murders, let alone calling Simpson a hero to the media or anyone else.
    She seemed to be saying he was a symbol in the same way George Floyd was, because of circumstances, not character. But I don't find it that outlandish that this remark could be misconstrued. It's not like she said, "Factually, he was a premeditated murderer who got away with it because the victims were white but that shows how racially divided we were and still are and black men more typically face an assumption of guilt in court."
    Power with Girl is better.

ANKARA (Reuters) -Iran informed Turkey in advance of its planned operation against Israel, a Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters on Sunday, adding that Washington had conveyed to Tehran via Ankara that any action it took had to be "within certain limits".

Turkey, which has denounced Israel for its campaign on Gaza, said earlier on Sunday that it did not want a further escalation of tensions in the region.

The Turkish source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan had spoken to both his U.S. and Iranian counterparts in the past week to discuss the planned Iranian operation, adding Ankara had been made aware of possible developments.

Earlier this week, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke to Fidan to make clear that escalation in the Middle East was not in anyone's interest.

"Iran informed us in advance of what would happen. Possible developments also came up during the meeting with Blinken, and they (the U.S.) conveyed to Iran through us that this reaction must be within certain limits," the source said.

"In response, Iran said the reaction would be a response to Israel's attack on its embassy in Damascus and that it would not go beyond this."
    So the whole thing was a telegraphed face-saving escapade.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-info...142323214.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    So the whole thing was a telegraphed face-saving escapade.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-info...142323214.html
    “An unattributed diplomatic source”, “under conditions of anonymity”.

I’d have thought there’s at least some chance that’s the story is fake. (I don’t think it’s that likely that US reaction would be to effectively green light an attack on Israel, because it was within acceptable limits. Ultimately it wasn’t that unlikely that more of the drones and missiles would get through and cause extensive harm.)

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    “An unattributed diplomatic source”, “under conditions of anonymity”.

I’d have thought there’s at least some chance that’s the story is fake. (I don’t think it’s that likely that US reaction would be to effectively green light an attack on Israel, because it was within acceptable limits. Ultimately it wasn’t that unlikely that more of the drones and missiles would get through and cause extensive harm.)
    I don't think the US 'green lighted' it so much as acknowledged that Iran was going to do something and controlled for the extent of it. We're fortunate what you're describing *didn't* happen, and it seems largely because Iran so heavily telegraped what it was going to do.

The choice to telegraph heavily is definitely one that makes what you're describing a lot less likely, you know?

I don't think the US 'green lighted' it so much as acknowledged that Iran was going to do something and controlled for the extent of it. We're fortunate what you're describing *didn't* happen, and it seems largely because Iran so heavily telegraped what it was going to do.

The choice to telegraph heavily is definitely one that makes what you're describing a lot less likely, you know?
    You really don’t accept that there’s a significant chance that the story is fake?

You really don’t accept that there’s a significant chance that the story is fake?
    I mean, it could turn out to be not true, sure, but it fits pretty well with what we know, and Iran was *very clearly telegraphing this move*, and has already announced it's 'finished'. Kabuki theatre happens a lot in foreign relations.

I mean, it could turn out to be not true, sure, but it fits pretty well with what we know, and Iran was *very clearly telegraphing this move*, and has already announced it's 'finished'. Kabuki theatre happens a lot in foreign relations.
    I suspect we are probably in close agreement in reality then…because I agree it could be true. We’d only be debating the probabilities of whether it’s true or false.

Incidentally Iran’s assurance that it’s “finished” strikes me as bizarre. If they really just wanted to make their displeasure known at Israeli actions, with no wish to escalate, I’d suggest there’s many safer things to do than the action taken.

I suspect we are probably in close agreement in reality then…because I agree it could be true. We’d only be debating the probabilities of whether it’s true or false.

Incidentally Iran’s assurance that it’s “finished” strikes me as bizarre. If they really just wanted to make their displeasure known at Israeli actions, with no wish to escalate, I’d suggest there’s many safer things to do than the action taken.
    I mean honestly, it sounds like there was basically no chance of any of these arriving at their destination.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/israel-al...075118206.html

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The naive idiot in me just hopes Iran's satisfied with the face saving and will calm the eff down.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!