Page 318 of 360 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328 ... LastLast
Results 4,756 to 4,770 of 5395
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But why did you feel the need to quote my post about the search engine when your comments had nothing to do with my post?
    It does have to do with your post and this was already explained -- you even expressed a similar sentiment in an earlier post.

In addition…if you were seeking some one views on something…you’d have to allow for fact, that views change over time, so a view expressed a year ago might not reflect a person’s current opinion.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-20-2024 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Which would be a hell of a lot more than Qpublicans are willing to do.
    You're saying that like there is an existing American political party that is actually willing to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    It does have to do with your post and this was already explained.
    No, my post was self evidently completely about the search facility on these boards, and you made a completely irrelevant reply that had nothing to do whatsoever to do with what I’d actually written.

Normally I would have ignored the matter, but the wording of your irrelevant reply might have suggested to a casual reader that I support bigotry, homophobia, Republican Party, American Parental Rights Association, etc, etc. I don’t support any of those.

I won’t make the same points again, I’m happy to move on.

Ultimate Member

No, my post was self evidently completely about the search facility on these boards, and you made a completely irrelevant reply that had nothing to do whatsoever to do with what I’d actually written.

Normally I would have ignored the matter, but the wording of your irrelevant reply might have suggested to a casual reader that I support bigotry, homophobia, Republican Party, American Parental Rights Association, etc, etc. I don’t support any of those.

The reply made addressed both the limitations of the search engine as well as the need for real dialogue regarding the bigotry behind many Republican policies.

Nothing about it was "irrevlevant" and it's offensive to suggest that discussing said bigotry is problematic when that was the original premise of the conversation.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-20-2024 at 02:20 AM.

Probably is worth noting that the idea that there is a casual reader stopping in to watch the same ten to twelve people say almost the exact same things over and over again feels kinda unlikely.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Probably is worth noting that the idea that there is a casual reader stopping in to watch the same ten to twelve people say almost the exact same things over and over again feels kinda unlikely.
    Should the discussion be regarding Hilary's emails instead?

Point taken though -- which is why the suggestion was that there be real dialogue rather than the standard silent treatment regarding conservative attacks on minority rights.

The same things are being said because many of the same posters refuse to address the right-wing bigotry that underlies many of the problems in society today.

Changing that is the key to working towards bipartisan solutions -- not downplaying or ignoring the problems as they get worse.

To your point -- it won't happen because many are not the victims of conservative bigotry and policy and some even benefit from the racist and sexist oppression of others.

It's easy to pretend your hands are clean when you let others do the dirty work for you.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-20-2024 at 03:27 AM.

But why did you feel the need to quote my post about the search engine when your comments had nothing to do with my post?
    Because… he’s got a terrible, terrible attitude! (With a strong hint of bizarro world)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Because… he’s got a terrible, terrible attitude! (With a strong hint of bizarro world)

“An audible sigh of relief in the Middle East. The latest round in the region's most dangerous rivalry appears to be over, for now.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68861607

“‘How gold becomes guns': heist spotlights illegal US-Canada gun trade
    The arrests that followed a "sensational" gold heist have shed light on the illegal gun trade between the US and Canada.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68841961

Interesting read, didn’t know this was a thing

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I heard that the guy who set himself on fire outside the courthouse where Don Snoreleone is taking naps passed away last night.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I heard that the guy who set himself on fire outside the courthouse where Don Snoreleone is taking naps passed away last night.
    Yep. Poor guy.

“An audible sigh of relief in the Middle East. The latest round in the region's most dangerous rivalry appears to be over, for now.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68861607
    This makes me happy. I admit I was pretty stressed about this escalating.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The NYT article about him paints a picture of a man in serious need of really good psychiatric assistance. Mental health care in the US is still far from where it should be.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Welcome back
    While I believe you edited out something less welcoming, I'll take it in the spirit intended. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    To quote John Sebastian Welcome Back.
    Thanks guys!

Yes..agree.. the search facility here has severe limits. Not that unusual, it’s true on many sites.

In addition…if you were seeking some one views on something…you’d have to allow for fact, that views change over time, so a view expressed a year ago might not reflect a person’s current opinion.
    If your stance is that the search function is so limited that it is useless, I disagree. Also with something that comes up often enough (Immigration/Border Policy, Abortion, Transgender Rights, etc) you won't have to deal with opinions that old. Especially as we are in a thread less than a year old

I never claimed it was perfect, just that you could get an idea of how they felt about something within 5 minutes. I assumed 2-3 for checking search terms to find one that gets results and the rest to peruse a few posts. Most replies on this forum don't come that quick. I also never mentioned that this was the only way someone should get information, but I will note that if someone isn't being forthcoming it can be a way to get the information you're after. Using the search in this way can also reveal things like posting habits, biases both political & not, and if they behave differently in regards to one subject/person than they do regarding another in the same circumstances. It all depends on how far you want to go to sate your curiosity. Mentioning how to use the Search Function shouldn't result in anyone circling their wagons.

BTW, unless your intention was to type "allow for the fact that views change" which I've been assuming in my reply, I didn't understand what you meant by "you'd have to allow for fact,".

The irony of this conversation taking place because the issue of bigotry and homophobia has yet to be addressed within the Republican party (specifically the Parents Rights Movement) shouldn't be lost on anyone.

It's a waste of time to repeatedly discuss the border "problem" yet not analyze the bigotry, lies and racism that manufacture issues where there are none and impede solutions where they are apparent.
    I agree with both of these statements. Vital context is missing if artificial limits (Not based on avoiding bigoted language & misinformation) are put on what can/will be discussed, just as if the context is deliberately left out. None of the conversations on this thread are private or carried out in a vacuum after all.

That people are killing themselves over such a horrid man and the lies he spreads is sickening. It would be a terrible thing for more people to set themselves on fire to make a political statement about something so farcical, and I think that's an easy statement to make.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This makes me happy. I admit I was pretty stressed about this escalating.
    I don't rule anything out anymore, not given Netanyahu's actions from the beginning of this. When you tell people you know you're going to wind up bombing to go in the corner to avoid it before bombing them anyway, it kinda gives away that your intentions aren't as noble as you'd have others think they are.

E:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The NYT article about him paints a picture of a man in serious need of really good psychiatric assistance. Mental health care in the US is still far from where it should be.
    There will always be these kinds of people, and if they weren't being validated and encouraged to perform these extreme acts (Not specifically suicide) for political reasons I think they might get or seek the help they need.
    Last edited by Dalak; 04-20-2024 at 06:21 AM.