Page 279 of 353 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,185 of 5283

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Again, I don’t see why Tendrin refers to UK as “Terf Island”, as from my own experience it’s a comparatively enlightened place.
    It's called pushing a fake narrative, the same way e.g. Fox News push the narrative that several "liberal cities" are failed cities, etc.
    Last edited by hyped78; 04-04-2024 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    So it looks like y'all can chill, people can still misgender others in Scotland:

No One Ever Said J. K. Rowling Might Be Jailed for Misgendering

But I'm sure all the media panic served its purpose.
    Several people reported her to the police, for example:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/tra...ts-2024-03-07/

Of course Rowling took the opportunity to stir the pot.
    Last edited by hyped78; 04-04-2024 at 02:18 AM.

(While this one is on the outskirts of being thread relevant...)

Since Maher come up from time to time?

This is seemingly a look at exactly who the guy is. True that there winds up being three sides to every story, but this does not feel like there is no way that this is exactly how it went down.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

This is seemingly a look at exactly who the guy is. True that there winds up being three sides to every story, but this does not feel like there is no way that this is exactly how it went down.

Agreed, Maher is a jackass and this again shows just how much of a jackass he is.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I imagine there are Republicans who actually WANT to govern and are willing to work with Democrats like true grownups. However, with the party hijacked by mouth foaming crazy Trumpers, chaos and dysfunction has become its brand, leaving those saner Repubs to say "screw it" and head for the exits. Can't say I blame them. The GOP, hardly a beacon of light in even the best of times, has been damaged beyond repair by Trump's toxic influence, and it'll take years, perhaps decades to weed out the lunatics who took over the party.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-04-2024 at 04:15 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Invincible Member

I've seen short clips from Bill's new Podcast and many times the conversations are awkward and Bill acts like he doesn't even want to be there. He's usually drinking or smoking something and few of his guests he clearly had no interest in speaking to.

"Uncommitted..." was fifteen percent of the vote in Rhode Island's Democratic Primary...

If Nikki getting double digits is noteworthy, how is "Uncommitted..." getting double digits something "Fizzling Out..."?

https://turnto10.com/politics/rhode-...an-independent
    Partly because Uncommitted is an organized protest vote, and run by people who have said they still plan to vote for Biden. Compare that to similar numbers going to a candidate who has dropped out, and half of those voters will not vote for Trump in the general according to exit polls, and it should be obvious which one is more worrying.

Politely? If you think it's Biden you haven't been paying attention.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Partly because Uncommitted is an organized protest vote, and run by people who have said they still plan to vote for Biden. Compare that to similar numbers going to a candidate who has dropped out, and half of those voters will not vote for Trump in the general according to exit polls, and it should be obvious which one is more worrying.

Politely? If you think it's Biden you haven't been paying attention.
    That's a good point. Biden had 91.5% in NY, Trump had 82.1%. Clearly a bigger risk for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I know it’s not something you want to “hear” but factually it’s not true that nobody said Rowling might be jailed for misgegendering people.

People have asked for it to happen, which is why Police have given a ruling on those words of hers already in public domain. (Not sure if that involved reading the Harry Potter and her detective novels under Galbraith name…)

And..of course…in recent Scottish Parliament debate, minister concerned admitted she wasn’t sure what Police would decide (on issue of Rowling’s arrest.j

Assuming Police decision is correct…I assume you believe it is…it’s now official that she didn’t commit the offence of hate speech, she just said offensive things. (Personally I think it’s a correct legal decision , but that Rowling should moderate her behaviour.)

Again, I don’t see why Tendrin refers to UK as “Terf Island”, as from my own experience it’s a comparatively enlightened place.
    Sigh. I was once again too optimistic in assuming that media literacy is not completely dead and that most people would understand that by "nobody" it is probably meant "nobody with any sort of authority on the subject". Obviously, somebody somewhere said it. So, does this mean that we can't use the phrase "nobody said" anymore under any context? Because I'm sure that whatever statement or sentence anyone of us can come up with, someone, somewhere, at some point in history has said it.
    E.g.:
    person A: "People are now claiming that 2+2=5. The educational system has failed."
    person B: "Please calm down, nobody is saying that."
    person A: "Incorrect. There is a Twitter threat where 2 people said exactly that. I win this argument. The educational system has failed."
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Sigh. I was once again too optimistic in assuming that media literacy is not completely dead and that most people would understand that by "nobody" it is probably meant "nobody with any sort of authority on the subject". Obviously, somebody somewhere said it. So, does this mean that we can't use the phrase "nobody said" anymore under any context? Because I'm sure that whatever statement or sentence anyone of us can come up with, someone, somewhere, at some point in history has said it.
    E.g.:
    person A: "People are now claiming that 2+2=5. The educational system has failed."
    person B: "Please calm down, nobody is saying that."
    person A: "Incorrect. There is a Twitter threat where 2 people said exactly that. I win this argument. The educational system has failed."
    The worst people are often the loudest, and color the perceptions of everyone else not intimately with the group as a whole.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    That's a good point. Biden had 91.5% in NY, Trump had 82.1%. Clearly a bigger risk for Trump.
    While I don't know if there's any sort of geographic breakdown, I'd hazard to guess most of that support for Trump came from outside the New York City area as Manhattanites have known for decades just what a scumbag he is.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    While I don't know if there's any sort of geographic breakdown, I'd hazard to guess most of that support for Trump came from outside the New York City area as Manhattanites have known for decades just what a scumbag he is.
    Sounds about right - Haley had 22% in Manhattan, so clearly above her state wide vote of 12.9%

Trump's support is Upstate, Long Island and Staten Island. There are conclaves in the City that voted for him, but NYC voted for Biden 86%. He won the State 60% to 37%.

Here is a map of the counties.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...ident-results/
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Trump's support is Upstate, Long Island and Staten Island. There are conclaves in the City that voted for him, but NYC voted for Biden 86%. He won the State 60% to 37%.

Right now, they're looking at the primary.

Here's a geographic breakdown.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2024/pr...sults/new-york
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Right now, they're looking at the primary.

Here's a geographic breakdown.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2024/pr...sults/new-york
    Thanks for the information. Most interesting.