Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Is West Coast Avengers a "Curse Team"?

Most of the members who are on this team have become irrelevant in the years to come. The team is never been brought up as the "first" secondary team. And Marvel lists "Bendis's New and Mighty Avengers run" as a prime success in expanding the Avengers brand lines when Marvel forgot WCA to do so first.

Hawkeye and Mockingbird have gone through the years.
    Hank Pym is "HISTORY & GONE FOREVER"
    Wonder Man is possible and probably get replaced by a black man (Because of Synergy reason)
    People forgot about member like Julia Carpenter, Darkhawk, and U.S Agent in this team and didn't get some credits.

Some story arcs lead a controversial changes like the twins' disappearance, the Scarlet Witch's changes and lastly, the Mephisto arcs.

Despite Roy Thomas has managed to create two successful runs (along Infinity Inc) featuring many B-listed heroes. His impacts has barely stretch out in today comics.

WCA I read more than the main team at the time. New location was a nice change and I loved the only iron man, wasp and hank as main members as with less solo book members gave us more character development and danger. Iron man you know won't die but how will tigra get out of this one?

Plus, like Excalibur it could be serious and funny at random without getting bogged down by the main teams plots. It was its own thing a big chunk of the book.

Also new avengers first spin-off team? Both wca and great lakes were first. Bendis wishes he had the first spin-off team.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-27-2023 at 04:25 AM.

I like the WCA characters and runs, but I don’t like its general concept. The Avengers should be operating globally, so the US East Coast/ West Coast division makes no sense to me.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I like the WCA characters and runs, but I don’t like its general concept. The Avengers should be operating globally, so the US East Coast/ West Coast division makes no sense to me.
    That's one they struggled with a bit since its inception. However, specially with today's communications tech, there's no reason branch offices covering different regions wouldn't make sense. Particularly since (shockingly) US comics tend to treat extraordinary menaces having a concentration and near the US.

They're not going to replace Simon for movie synergy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Wonder Man is possible and probably get replaced by a black man (Because of Synergy reason)
    They'd have to create an entirely new character as they did with Nick Fury, Jr. I'm all for WCA being brought back with the core members of the original team -- maybe with Jessica Drew replacing Julia Carpenter.

Not necessarily. There is the possibility than the Wonder Man serie is canned and the actor could replace Majors as Khan. (Mind you, this is just a rumour).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Wonder man is still a go but now a "marvel spotlight" series. It's still coming.

WCA was way better than the ECA. It was one of my favorite pulls. Loved Iron Man in the silver centurion armor. For the record. I couldn’t stand either one of Bendis’ Avengers. He made sure to cover up his lack of writing skills with all the main A listers at Marvel just to generate sales. WCA made it as the B Squad. Even Hank shined with the team. Wonderman could go toe to toe with anyone. Tigra got a little crazy but she was fun. Their battles with the Zodiac were awesome. Hawkeye the disrespected leader by the east coasters did a way better job than Jan. Jan couldn’t keep Hercules under control. Clint would have. The whole series was very enjoyable.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    They'd have to create an entirely new character as they did with Nick Fury, Jr. I'm all for WCA being brought back with the core members of the original team -- maybe with Jessica Drew replacing Julia Carpenter.
    No thanks. They’ve tried hard to make Jessica stick since Bendis brought her back to the spotlight, but how many failed books is she going to get? I’m obviously biased because I started reading comics in the early 90s, but they’ve really screwing Julia over…I’m hoping her role in the new Madam Webb movie fixes that.

That said, WCA rocked. The recent versions just seemed like WCA in name only. Give me a team of Hawkeye, Mockingbird, USAgent, Hank Pym, Tigra, Spider-Woman, Wonder Man and let’s have some fun,

We all know that Marvel always has more than one Avengers book going on at once. Just have one operating out on the West Coast. It doesn't have to be called the West Coast Avengers. I'm also for dropping Jessica Drew in favor of Julia Carpenter because her classic black and white costume is cooler. Spider-Woman_(Julia_Carpenter)_-Mike_Zeck's_art.jpg
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Most of the members who are on this team have become irrelevant in the years to come. The team is never been brought up as the "first" secondary team. And Marvel lists "Bendis's New and Mighty Avengers run" as a prime success in expanding the Avengers brand lines when Marvel forgot WCA to do so first.

Hawkeye and Mockingbird have gone through the years.
    Hank Pym is "HISTORY & GONE FOREVER"
    People forgot about member like Julia Carpenter, Darkhawk, and U.S Agent in this team and didn't get some credits.

Some story arcs lead a controversial changes like the twins' disappearance, the Scarlet Witch's changes and lastly, the Mephisto arcs.

Despite Roy Thomas has managed to create two successful runs (along Infinity Inc) featuring many B-listed heroes. His impacts has barely stretch out in today comics.
    Let me check my records to find out when Hank Pym showed up in a Marvel Comic in the 616 timeline. Oh right! It was yesterday in Avengers. Inc. Anc he sure wasn’t history and he definitely wasn’t gone forever.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    We all know that Marvel always has more than one Avengers book going on at once. Just have one operating out on the West Coast. It doesn't have to be called the West Coast Avengers. I'm also for dropping Jessica Drew in favor of Julia Carpenter because her classic black and white costume is cooler. Spider-Woman_(Julia_Carpenter)_-Mike_Zeck's_art.jpg
    Yes please! I mean, really, there's room for both, 'cause it's not like they have either the same powers, the same costume *or* interchangeable personalities. You could put them on different branches of the team, or put them on the same team and defy boring convention (that they'd squabble over the shared name / reputation) and get along well enough to annoy everyone else.

But I liked the Avengers being split into two teams, because we got to see more of 'B tier' Avengers like Wonder Man, Tigra, Hawkeye and Hank Pym on the West Coast team, and yet the removal of those figures (and Vision, Wanda and Iron Man) from the East Coast roster freed up more focus for Janet, and more room for characters like Monica Rambeau, Black Knight, etc. to get a chance to shine.

It wasn't 'must have Cap, Tony, Thor and some others' every single damn time. More Avengers got to play. And since that meant characters I liked were spread between *both* teams, I had to buy twice as many Avengers books.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Let me check my records to find out when Hank Pym showed up in a Marvel Comic in the 616 timeline. Oh right! It was yesterday in Avengers. Inc. Anc he sure wasn’t history and he definitely wasn’t gone forever.
    Exactly! Hank is definitely not history. Ewing was at least trying to do Hank some Justice.