Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Now that I think on it, Mother Righteous's powerset is similar to Queen of Fables from DC comics with extra steps.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    The biggest problem I have with this book is positioning the Dominion as the big bad, because as a concept it just feels too abstract to fight against. Like functionally it seems no different from how the Phalanx operate, but with the Phalanx there is something to physically fight.
    The problem is what comes in the future. Centuries from now the superhumans are going to feed the Earth to it. As long as it exists, it will always be a danger.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Gillen

https://buttondown.email/KieronGillen/archive/172/

While the story continues in X-Men Forever (and Rise of the Powers of X, in a different way) I still feel it feels like a conclusion. When starting X-men, I had my first year planned relative tightly, ending with the Xavier reveal in the mirror. While the route in the 2nd year was much more open, this issue is roughly the place I planned for the end of my second year. With everything that's happened (Judgment Day, Sins, etc), you'd think things have gone really awry, but if you do the math it actually is issue 24 in the story. 18 issue of Immortal X-men, the 2 Sins of Sinister specials, the 3 Immoral X-men and the Sinister Four Special. Funny how things work out.
    I never understood why writers feel the need to justify that nothing has gone wrong with their plans.

Like write your book and let it speak for itself.

But speaking on the book itself, it's great now let's see how it pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    the thank yous stuff is so dumb.
    Bruuuuh, it's pure Gaelic folklore in keeping with the theme of the issue. In the old stories, when you encounter a Sidhe, you must not accept a gift from it or obligate yourself to it in any form. Saying thank you is the same as acknowledging a debt.

I really love this book. It's been my favorite in the X-line since it started, and I'm sad that it's over. We still have Rise and Forever, but Immortal itself is finished. IMO Gillen will forever be one of the best X-writers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    He kind of breaks it down by describing mutants as disruptive alternative to science and magic. When mutants collectively believe in something, they're more effective than science and magic. So... "mutant magic."
    I....so mutantkind willed mutant magic into existence by believing it existed hard enough? So mutantkind as a whole is a high-grade reality warper?

Also why do they have to be disruptive to magic and science? Or more effective?

Al Ewing and Gillen both did pretty damn good with adapting to changes.

The other writers. No comment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Did I miss something? There really wasn't any mutant magic on display in this issue.

Here's magic for 'ya. Atlantic Krakoa, The White Hot Room... Wait... What??? Where are they again? The M'Kraan Crystal?!?

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

So this explains why the Phoenix will be bleeding into nothing in X-Men Forever. Mother Righteous stabbed Jean to steal her blood and use it to try and write herself into becoming a Dominion. Jean getting stabbed was quite brutal, she may not have been fully aware but by looking at her face she can still feel pain and other unpleasant stimuli. Though I've got to admit Mother Righteous' remark about using Jean as an ink bottle was actually pretty funny.

This issue also clarifies the link between Jean, the Phoenix, and the White Hot Room. Which begs the question; if wounding Jean causes the Phoenix to bleed out as well will this also harm the White Hot Room too? Imagine if Jean dies (or double dies as she's already dead) and is not immediately revived by the Five who are still active in the WHR. This could very well kill the Phoenix, breaking Jean and Phoenix's cycle of death and rebirth as well as destroying the White Hot Room. This would obviously kill everyone who is stuck in there and being the origin of creativity would have apocalyptic consequences for the multiverse. Though Dominions don't seem to be too concerned but they're outside space and time. So I'm thinking that Exodus, Destiny, Hope, and possibly Mother Righteous would have to find a way to save Jean which they do so at the last second as the White Hot Room falls apart. Which leaves the Phoenix crippled and the White Hot Room severely damaged.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    So this explains why the Phoenix will be bleeding into nothing in X-Men Forever. Mother Righteous stabbed Jean to steal her blood and use it to try and write herself into becoming a Dominion. Jean getting stabbed was quite brutal, she may not have been fully aware but by looking at her face she can still feel pain and other unpleasant stimuli. Though I've got to admit Mother Righteous' remark about using Jean as an ink bottle was actually pretty funny.

This issue also clarifies the link between Jean, the Phoenix, and the White Hot Room. Which begs the question; if wounding Jean causes the Phoenix to bleed out as well will this also harm the White Hot Room too? Imagine if Jean dies (or double dies as she's already dead) and is not immediately revived by the Five who are still active in the WHR. This could very well kill the Phoenix, breaking Jean and Phoenix's cycle of death and rebirth as well as destroying the White Hot Room. This would obviously kill everyone who is stuck in there and being the origin of creativity would have apocalyptic consequences for the multiverse. Though Dominions don't seem to be too concerned but they're outside space and time.
    So I'm thinking that Exodus, Destiny, Hope, and possibly Mother Righteous would have to find a way to save Jean which they do so at the last second as the White Hot Room falls apart. Which leaves the Phoenix crippled and the White Hot Room severely damaged.
    Hmm... How exactly does one damage a plane of existence?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Hmm... How exactly does one damage a plane of existence?
    Murder its avatar, like Mother Righteous did. The same way the Sinister Quiet Council took over Krakoa by lobotomizing the big tree.

They dragged the story of Dominion for so long that at this point of time Jean being a statue character is the least of the worries. Its is as if though Gillen is writing himself in all those monologues. It feels lazy.

Spectacular Member

I'am curious, how the X-Men Can Hope win against the Dominion who seem Invincible ?

Any ideas ?

Should there not always be multiple Jeans in the WHR as it exists outside of time and space and Jean has been dead at several points through the river of time

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

The Destiny and Mother Righteous stuff is delightful.
    This reminds me, at the end of Legion of X Mother Righteous makes one of her offers to Kurt (who is made a monster by Margali’s spell). But then we see him again, in both The Sins of Sinister: Nightcrawlers and in Sons of X, he’s still a monster. So he couldn’t have taken her up on her offer? Is he in her debt?

IMG_4011.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg