Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Asm 41 preview

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    This issue of The Amazing Tombstone #41 was pretty dang good.

-----

For context, there's nothing inherently wrong with making the main character of a book the POV side-character for an arc, but the problem through this run is its felt like Peter has been running in place on a hamster wheel. And we're 40+ issues deep now. And for what its worth, I like what Wells is actually doing with Tombstone. If this was main driving force of the run, not the Mary Jane drama or Ben Reilly getting thrown under the bus I think it'd be better receive. People would still complain yeah, but that happens in every run.
    eh nothing happens this issue at all. spoilers:
    We get 2 big dudes fighting and Spidey does nothing except be a third wheel character. She-Hulk got a bigger push this whole event and spider-man has done nothing. Not a single "death" has stuck from an issue prior as we find out they never died. They are just badly wounded and the big important things about this event Marvel has already spoiled. This probably one of the worse spider-man if you can call it that events that Miles and company have taken part of and has been released besides whatever dark web was
    end of spoilers

I love reading the Amazing Tombstone and family week after week! Wells is finally writing the book he wanted to write .

Seriously though this event is lacking in everything the original Gang War event did right.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    This issue of The Amazing Tombstone #41 was pretty dang good.

-----

For context, there's nothing inherently wrong with making the main character of a book the POV side-character for an arc, but the problem through this run is its felt like Peter has been running in place on a hamster wheel. And we're 40+ issues deep now. And for what its worth, I like what Wells is actually doing with Tombstone. If this was main driving force of the run, not the Mary Jane drama or Ben Reilly getting thrown under the bus I think it'd be better receive. People would still complain yeah, but that happens in every run.
    I would say that there is nothing inherently wrong with it. But I would also say that the hook for this arc was Gang War: First Strike and that issue definitely promised more Peter. I would go far as to say that that issue kinda suggested that Peter was trying to take more responsibility in general after failing to do that for most of the run. (Look at the convos with Miles and Robbie). Sidelining Peter for the entire first half of this event after all of that build up sucks hard. Even the stuff that Peter presumably had more to do with (bringing the team together, I guess?) is handled mostly off screen for some reason. I am just constantly baffled by Zeb's writing tbh.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    spoilers:
    We get 2 big dudes fighting and Spidey does nothing except be a third wheel character. She-Hulk got a bigger push this whole event and spider-man has done nothing. Not a single "death" has stuck from an issue prior as we find out they never died. They are just badly wounded and the big important things about this event Marvel has already spoiled. This probably one of the worse spider-man if you can call it that events that Miles and company have taken part of and has been released besides whatever dark web was
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Spidey getting a surprise blow on Kingpin, the Kingpin shrugging it off, saying "quiet the grownups are talking", tossing Spider-Man into a fire, and the fight then just ending for reasons totally disconnected from Spidey. Is comedy in a "that's so sad it's funny kind of way"
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member

Once again Spider-Man feels like the side character in his own book, literally asking out loud why he’s stuck with the cannon fodder. I’m wondering that too. Look, we all love She Hulk. She’s great and I’m glad she got some cool moments, but she has her own book. The name of the book is the Amazing Spider-Man. If he’s not the one tangling with Kingpin, he at least should be the one who fights Typhoid Mary. That’s a more interesting contest than Typhoid Mary vs. She Hulk anyway. A swordswoman with fire powers vs. someone who’s a step behind the Hulk in strength is no contest.
    I guess I should be glad that Spidey got one good shot on the Kingpin before being unceremoniously tossed out of focus in his own book. I cannot be made to understand the treatment of the title character in his own book this run. Utterly baffling

Quote Originally Posted by Moxxi517 View Post
    I would say that there is nothing inherently wrong with it. But I would also say that the hook for this arc was Gang War: First Strike and that issue definitely promised more Peter. I would go far as to say that that issue kinda suggested that Peter was trying to take more responsibility in general after failing to do that for most of the run. (Look at the convos with Miles and Robbie). Sidelining Peter for the entire first half of this event after all of that build up sucks hard. Even the stuff that Peter presumably had more to do with (bringing the team together, I guess?) is handled mostly off screen for some reason. I am just constantly baffled by Zeb's writing tbh.
    Zeb Wells writing Amazing Spider-Man like he doesn't actually want to be writing the Amazing Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Once again Spider-Man feels like the side character in his own book, literally asking out loud why he’s stuck with the cannon fodder. I’m wondering that too. Look, we all love She Hulk. She’s great and I’m glad she got some cool moments, but she has her own book. The name of the book is the Amazing Spider-Man. If he’s not the one tangling with Kingpin, he at least should be the one who fights Typhoid Mary. That’s a more interesting contest than Typhoid Mary vs. She Hulk anyway. A swordswoman with fire powers vs. someone who’s a step behind the Hulk in strength is no contest.
    I guess I should be glad that Spidey got one good shot on the Kingpin before being unceremoniously tossed out of focus in his own book. I cannot be made to understand the treatment of the title character in his own book this run. Utterly baffling
    Don't forget that after all of this Peter's personal life will take a turn for worse as well

Mighty Member

Don't forget that after all of this Peter's personal life will take a turn for worse as well
    What personal life? All he has left to lose is his job and/or apartment.
    Last edited by rward777; 01-03-2024 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    What personal life? All he has left to lose is his job and/or apartment.
    Remember what Norman said to Peter when he showed up with rek rap the last arc,? Also Peter's apartment got trashed last arc too so both could happen

Mighty Member

Remember what Norman said to Peter when he showed up with rek rap the last arc,? Also Peter's apartment got trashed last arc too so both could happen
    If that's the case, I think it will be the apartment before the job. I think the job loss will take place in or after the goblin storyline.
    Last edited by rward777; 01-03-2024 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    If that's the case, I think it will be the apartment before the job. I think the job loss will take place in or after the goblin storyline.
    Remember also MJ is not living in her apartment currently so either he stays there or moves to feast

Ultimate Member

Issue wasn't bad, but the way Peter has been depicted is just weird.

spoilers:
    The way Peter just got dunked on by Kingpin after he kicked Fisk's rib is just weird. I think it's been established that Kingpin is at best "peak human" and shouldn't be able to no-sell a kick from Spider-man. Heck, Fisk headbutting Tombstone should give him a skull fracture considering Lonnie's body is super dense. Also, She-Hulk should clear out that room without any problems. Seeing Digger clear out the ladies was quite hilarious, the guy basically punked them out. All this being said, Gang War is based off of Peter's villains but he does seem to be sidelined. This is a contrast to Miles book where he's cutting down Z-listers left and right and proclaiming himself "the main character". I think the story would have been a bit more interesting with Peter at the center of it with him actually smacking down the bad guys.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Issue wasn't bad, but the way Peter has been depicted is just weird.

spoilers:
    The way Peter just got dunked on by Kingpin after he kicked Fisk's rib is just weird. I think it's been established that Kingpin is at best "peak human" and shouldn't be able to no-sell a kick from Spider-man. Heck, Fisk headbutting Tombstone should give him a skull fracture considering Lonnie's body is super dense. Also, She-Hulk should clear out that room without any problems. Seeing Digger clear out the ladies was quite hilarious, the guy basically punked them out. All this being said, Gang War is based off of Peter's villains but he does seem to be sidelined. This is a contrast to Miles book where he's cutting down Z-listers left and right and proclaiming himself "the main character". I think the story would have been a bit more interesting with Peter at the center of it with him actually smacking down the bad guys.
    end of spoilers
    I feel like the current Miles run is basically the standard one should expect from a Spider-Man title compared to ASM.

It's got everything Wells' run is missing...meaningful relationships, a protagonist that is actually competent, effective, and the focus of his own story, not getting side-tracked too much by guest stars or villains, etc.

So, honest solicitations for the aftermath should be something like, "Now that everyone except Peter has resolved the conflict, Peter's life is worse than ever. In this very special issue, Peter deals with being fired, being evicted, and to make things worse, his toilet is flooding on the day he is moving and the boxes holding his comics collection is soaked! THINGS HAVE NEVER BEEN THIS DARK BEFORE."

Something like that?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like the current Miles run is basically the standard one should expect from a Spider-Man title compared to ASM.

It's got everything Wells' run is missing...meaningful relationships, a protagonist that is actually competent, effective, and the focus of his own story, not getting side-tracked too much by guest stars or villains, etc.
    Exactly.

Ziglar has kept everything centered around Miles even during the crossovers. Even in downtime, we had Miles seek therapy for everything that's happened around him.

In the main ASM book, terrible stuff just happens to Peter and it's just brushed off and he's made to look wrong even when he's done nothing wrong. That's beside the constant need to be saved, speaking of which spoilers:
    She-Hulk saved Peter yet again from being burned up by Typhoid Mary, I'm not sure why Wells feels the need to constantly show Peter being saved by his co-stars, it's just weird and unnecessary at this point
    end of spoilers