Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Asm 41 preview

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Generally cosigned, but I guess that's what happens when you have a writer who actually thinks there's more and better ways to develop a main protagonist than have them be constantly dragged through the mire and muck of unrelenting misery.
    It can't be that hard to have your protagonist actually win fights.

Know what I hate about this? The city is going to hell. The gangs are being relentless. People are getting hurt. Peter should NOT be in his wisecracking mode. With things this bad, Peter should be in Serious Scary Spider mode. Also, with Tombstone and Fisk busy, he should have absolutely cleaned house, especially with Jen backing him up.

Once again we have a big crossover centered around the main Spider-Man book and every tie in is infinitely better than it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Know what I hate about this? The city is going to hell. The gangs are being relentless. People are getting hurt. Peter should NOT be in his wisecracking mode. With things this bad, Peter should be in Serious Scary Spider mode. Also, with Tombstone and Fisk busy, he should have absolutely cleaned house, especially with Jen backing him up.

Once again we have a big crossover centered around the main Spider-Man book and every tie in is infinitely better than it.
    But...but he's the comic relief!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post

Re-reading the original Gang War supports your claim.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    It seems like comics are falling into the same cycle as movie properties which just focus on sequels and reboots of superior original ideas from the 80s and 90s. We had an arc based around mythology from ‘Kraven’s Last Hunt’ (for the umpteenth time) and now almost immediately after we are getting a second ‘Gang Wars.’
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    It seems like comics are falling into the same cycle as movie properties which just focus on sequels and reboots of superior original ideas from the 80s and 90s. We had an arc based around mythology from ‘Kraven’s Last Hunt’ (for the umpteenth time) and now almost immediately after we are getting a second ‘Gang Wars.’
    At least Hunted was much better than Gang War so far in my opinion and it had a clear idea of what it was trying to say and build on from Kraven's Last Hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least Hunted was much better than Gang War so far in my opinion and it had a clear idea of what it was trying to say and build on from Kraven's Last Hunt.
    You mean the Spencer arc? That was okay. I was thinking of the more recent arc by Wells (Spidey’s First Hunt?), which was a step up from dreck like “Dead Languages” but still pretty forgettable.

Anyway, this Gang War II is okay so far compared to Wells’ earlier arcs, so I’ll give it a chance. But like the Kraven stuff, it’s still just a remix of an earlier and more successful storyline.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, for my money, it's probably Miles' best (and most successful) run since his creation.
    Well, yeah. Miles' current status is the payoff to years of character development. He started as Spidey when he was thirteen and was pretty much a loser in his civilian and hero life. I'd even go so far as to say Miles has endured the most painfully awkward level up of any hero out there, so now seeing him finally unleashed as a badass who paid his dues who gets respect from a senior monsters like Hobgoblin and enmity from a prick like Carnage, feels pretty damn good. Like seeing a younger sibling finally find success.

Be nice if some of that glow-up finally clung to Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Well, yeah. Miles' current status is the payoff to years of character development. He started as Spidey when he was thirteen and was pretty much a loser in his civilian and hero life. I'd even go so far as to say Miles has endured the most painfully awkward level up of any hero out there, so now seeing him finally unleashed as a badass who paid his dues who gets respect from a senior monsters like Hobgoblin and enmity from a prick like Carnage, feels pretty damn good. Like seeing a younger sibling finally find success.

Be nice if some of that glow-up finally clung to Peter.
    Hasn't Miles always been successful as a hero? He was winning fights (Cough) Deus Ex Venom Blast (Cough) very early into his career and taking down big villains and getting the respect of his peers and older adult heroes from pretty much the get-go. The one time he tussled with 616 Spidey he took him down with a Venom Blast. Even his biggest losses (his uncle and mom) got undone post-Secret Wars.

I would agree though that his civilian life (or what little he has of one) isn't much. His current run has actually explored how he genuinely struggles at school and he doesn't have a big friend group in his civilian identity (it's really just Ganke and Judge when writers remember the latter even exists).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I still read this in their voices from the 90s animated series. Would have been interesting if said animated series had adapted the original Gang War.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I know people aren’t liking Gang Wars but I’m enjoying it. Love all the villains. Peter might be taking a back seat in his own mag but I’m sure that will change as this goes on. Janice’s costume is hideous. Give her back her costume Wells. She’s the Beetle not the centipede. I hope she mops the floor with Fisk’s son and the Hulk wannabe. Tombstone vs the Kingpin and the Beetle vs the Rose. Im looking forward to it. I’m all all in for the Toombstone side. I haven’t collected an entire event in decades. This one has been fun. We need another SFOS starring Janice and her team.
    I've been enjoying this title more since Kraven entered the fray. Then on to Gang Wars, which has been decent Imo.

Im a few issues behind but I dont see an issue with Peter using gags in serious situations. I've always understood it as a coping mechanism and a way to face his fears and also to project to the villains that he's above their level.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Im a few issues behind but I dont see an issue with Peter using gags in serious situations. I've always understood it as a coping mechanism and a way to face his fears and also to project to the villains that he's above their level.
    It's fine for Spidey to crack wise, it's just when that's most of what he does instead of meaningfully contribute to the story that it's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    No remember this run is literal hell on earth nothing from it can be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Generally cosigned, but I guess that's what happens when you have a writer who actually thinks there's more and better ways to develop a main protagonist than have them be constantly dragged through the mire and muck of unrelenting misery.
    It builds character.

I couldn't get into Miles new run. I think the writer has a nice voice for Miles, but I found the villains uninteresting and silly, I found the upgraded powers to be ridiculous (I viscerally hate the sword). Miles already has awesome powers, he doesn't need more to make him seem cool. There's no real tension in his fights now. Feels like a writer trying to do cool moments and leave their mark but is not really advancing Miles.

And I really need some clarity on this "Peter doesn't ever win any fights". You guys act like he's Daredevil when it comes to the misery. And isn't losing a fight but finding a way to come back and win a classic Spidey trope? From as long I can remember reading its been that way. Most times he loses the "first confrontation" and them comes back right? Slott, Bendis, Spencer all did this. I can remember clearly during JMS's run that Peter got his butt kicked a ton of times. The thing is though he doesn't quit and finds a way to win. He gets This is in contrast to modern Miles who's solution is just to come up with a new random power. But thats just my personal preference.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    No remember this run is literal hell on earth nothing from it can be right.

It builds character.

I couldn't get into Miles new run. I think the writer has a nice voice for Miles, but I found the villains uninteresting and silly, I found the upgraded powers to be ridiculous (I viscerally hate the sword). Miles already has awesome powers, he doesn't need more to make him seem cool. There's no real tension in his fights now. Feels like a writer trying to do cool moments and leave their mark but is not really advancing Miles.

And I really need some clarity on this "Peter doesn't ever win any fights". You guys act like he's Daredevil when it comes to the misery. And isn't losing a fight but finding a way to come back and win a classic Spidey trope? From as long I can remember reading its been that way. Most times he loses the "first confrontation" and them comes back right? Slott, Bendis, Spencer all did this. I can remember clearly during JMS's run that Peter got his butt kicked a ton of times. The thing is though he doesn't quit and finds a way to win. He gets This is in contrast to modern Miles who's solution is just to come up with a new random power. But thats just my personal preference.
    Fair enough, though I wish a lot of that would come out more in the writing and overall depiction.
    The spider is always on the hunt.