Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Asm 41 preview

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    So, honest solicitations for the aftermath should be something like, "Now that everyone except Peter has resolved the conflict, Peter's life is worse than ever. In this very special issue, Peter deals with being fired, being evicted, and to make things worse, his toilet is flooding on the day he is moving and the boxes holding his comics collection is soaked! THINGS HAVE NEVER BEEN THIS DARK BEFORE."

Something like that?
    I think the job loss will occur during or after the goblin storyline. Way to male Superior spider-man look good.
    Last edited by rward777; 01-03-2024 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I think the job loss will occur during or after the goblin storyline. Way to male Superior spider-man look good.
    At this point, maybe Wells should go full-on Grant Morrison from his Animal Man run and have Peter realize he's a character in a comic book being written by a sadist who hates him.

Astonishing Member

In a run of nonsense, utterly devoid of anything resembling compelling storytelling issues that sink so low you think surely, they've finally reached bottom - ASM 41 manages to hit a new nadir. An issue consisting of cliched, unimaginative, juvenile fights the Three Stooges would be ashamed of: *yawn*. Once again, Peter is a cameo guest appearance - and an ineffectual one who can barely take down Hellfire goons - in his own book. And it's just so simply awesome they decided to repeat the image of a woman being stabbed through the back - and in under a year! Truly, there are no permissible words.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Talking very briefly with someone who's also familiar with the run, I said I was going to expect Peter's inner monologue to be something like "What else can I do besides let the grown-ups talk when there's a Gang War?" with how much leeway he was giving Tombstone.

I'm a little surprised the term ended up in the comic itself.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Tombestone has never shown strength at a level above 616 Cap. Yet he recently broke Spider-man's rib and squeezed him into unconsciousness.

The last time Peter personally fought Fisk, he mercilessly beat the cholesterol out of his arteries and held him on his feet by his man boobs. Yet now Fisk is kicking Pete across a room and drawing blood from a bulletproof man.

I'm not pedantic, I just like consistency.

I don't know how old Peter is due to the sliding time scale, but I do know that whe has a lot of fighting experience under his belt and that he also solo'd the Avengers two times in the last year, so this fight should be cake for him. It's like the narrative is deliberately making him take a backseat.
    Last edited by Handsome men don't lose fights; 01-03-2024 at 02:12 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Tombestone has never shown strength at a level above 616 Cap. Yet he recently broke Spider-man's rib and squeezed him into unconsciousness.

The last time Peter personally fought Fisk, he mercilessly beat the cholesterol out of his arteries and held him on his feet by his man boobs. Yet now Fisk is kicking Pete across a room and drawing blood from a bulletproof man.

I'm not pedantic, I just like consistency.

I don't know how old Peter is due to the sliding time scale, but I do know that whe has a lot of fighting experience under his belt and that he also solo'd the Avengers two times in the last year, so this fight should be cake for him. It's like the narrative is deliberately making him take a backseat.
    Agreed.

It's not really about power levels and the likes, it's about consistency. For decades, we've seen how tough Lonnie's body is, to the point that Daredevil couldn't hurt him without targeting his weak points. Heck, even Peter had to web up his hands when he fought Lonnie in the past. Fisk's head should be in severe pain after head butting him that many times.

spoilers:
    Unless Peter was holding back (and I wonder why he should) a kick from him should do significant damage to Kingpin. Even if it didn't, he shouldn't be able to shrug it off and casually throw Peter away. At this stage of Peter's existence, he should be depicted as far more competent. Even with the sliding timescale, he must have been Spider-man for at least 15 years now which is a pretty long time.
    end of spoilers

I've seen teenage Spider-Man's accomplish more in their Gang War stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Miles has been tearing it up! He almost looks too good. The Spider men should be left twix and right twix, not a double whopper vs a slice of pizza being dragged into the tunnels by a rat.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Miles has been tearing it up! He almost looks too good. The Spider men should be left twix and right twix, not a double whopper vs a slice of pizza being dragged into the tunnels by a rat.
    Or Kamen Rider 1 (Spider-Man/Peter) and Kamen Rider 2 (Spider-Man/Miles). Hell, Insomniac Games did a better job of balancing them than the comics at present seem to be, though as someone put it, the difference may well just be that one is being written by someone who thinks there are other ways to character growth and development besides dragging the character through an endless mire of misery.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I think my biggest issue with Gang War is that, once again, Peter seems like he's taking a backseat to other characters driving the story. He organized and "lead" the heroes but now it's all about the Lincoln family drama and how that coalesces into the main conflict while Spidey just stands around and cracks jokes.

The stuff with Mary is cute but I'm not convinced she and Kingpin have a healthy marriage.

I guess the parallel with the Lincolns/Fisks is effective.

That new Beetle suit is a crime against costume design. Just turning a genuinely good costume into something unnecessarily dark and edgy.

Is Typhoid Mary set up to be Harley Quinn, now? I don't remember her talking/acting like that when Ann Nocenti was writing her.
    The bizarre new Beetle armor is, well, rather ugly and generic. Who fixes it up now? Is it the Tinkerer or someone else? Abner Jenkins wouldn't be helping her.

Uh.. When did Richard Fisk come back from the dead? Wasn't it his mom who killed him, or had him killed? Does she know?

what's the end game supposed to be for the gang war? People going to jail? "one, true" Boss of Bosses in NYC organized crime? Or just a bunch of dead people, including innocent civilians?
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-03-2024 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Is Typhoid Mary set up to be Harley Quinn, now? I don't remember her talking/acting like that when Ann Nocenti was writing her.
    The bizarre new Beetle armor is, well, rather ugly and generic. Who fixes it up now? Is it the Tinkerer or someone else? Abner Jenkins wouldn't be helping her.

Uh.. When did Richard Fisk come back from the dead? Wasn't it his mom who killed him, or had him killed? Does she know?

what's the end game supposed to be for the gang war? People going to jail? "one, true" Boss of Bosses in NYC organized crime? Or just a bunch of dead people, including innocent civilians?
    Spencers run he was resurrected by the Kingpin after he got the tablet of life and destiny
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Miles definitely has the better Spider-Man book right now. He even comes off better in Peter's book than Peter does.

But I was also thinking of Ultimate Peter in his Gang War or Spec Spidey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Or Kamen Rider 1 (Spider-Man/Peter) and Kamen Rider 2 (Spider-Man/Miles). Hell, Insomniac Games did a better job of balancing them than the comics at present seem to be, though as someone put it, the difference may well just be that one is being written by someone who thinks there are other ways to character growth and development besides dragging the character through an endless mire of misery.
    Depending on who you ask .

Though it helps that they deliberately make you play as both in their own separate things and let them both win individual fights.

The Rose is a fascinating example of editorial pushing a character that no one has ever been interested in. 30+ years of this guy and now he's down to getting stomped so that the less interesting Beetle can have a girl boss moment. It's a win that does nothing for her either. Even the Hood has more credibility than Richard. Dude's triple L. Life-long loser.

The Rose is a fascinating example of editorial pushing a character that no one has ever been interested in. 30+ years of this guy and now he's down to getting stomped so that the less interesting Beetle can have a girl boss moment. It's a win that does nothing for her either. Even the Hood has more credibility than Richard. Dude's triple L. Life-long loser.
    Yeah he will never be allow to surpass his father plus he reached his peak of story telling during the hobgoblin saga. I don’t know why Spencer wanted to bring him back
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

This Gang War needed Delilah