Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Asm 41 preview

I will be the first to acknowledge that I don't have a great grasp of Spider-Man's history nor that of most of his supporting characters, or of his villains and their powers. I can definitely understand how a long time reader would be upset if Tombstone shouldn't be able to beat up Kingpin in a fight. As long time reader of the X-Men I would be upset if someone like the Blob could suddenly beat up Colossus.

For that matter I couldn't stand the job that Lowe did as the X-Men's top editor. He is one of the main culprits of that franchise's down fall, in my humble opinion. So I can even understand Spider-Man's fanbase being frustrated with the guy.

Having said that I really enjoyed this comic. Perhaps because I don't know much about Spider-Man's villains. I found all of the characters interesting, and I look forward to seeing what the result of the Rose and the Syndicate battle will be.
    I'm hoping that White Rabbit won't end up being a casualty of that fight. I find her to be amusing.

About the only serious complaint that I have with the comic is the new armor that Beetle was wearing. I thought that it looked really bad. Hopefully she will drop it for her better looking armor and some other villain can wear the new one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I will be the first to acknowledge that I don't have a great grasp of Spider-Man's history nor that of most of his supporting characters, or of his villains and their powers. I can definitely understand how a long time reader would be upset if Tombstone shouldn't be able to beat up Kingpin in a fight. As long time reader of the X-Men I would be upset if someone like the Blob could suddenly beat up Colossus.

For that matter I couldn't stand the job that Lowe did as the X-Men's top editor. He is one of the main culprits of that franchise's down fall, in my humble opinion. So I can even understand Spider-Man's fanbase being frustrated with the guy.

Having said that I really enjoyed this comic. Perhaps because I don't know much about Spider-Man's villains. I found all of the characters interesting, and I look forward to seeing what the result of the Rose and the Syndicate battle will be.
    I'm hoping that White Rabbit won't end up being a casualty of that fight. I find her to be amusing.

About the only serious complaint that I have with the comic is the new armor that Beetle was wearing. I thought that it looked really bad. Hopefully she will drop it for her better looking armor and some other villain can wear the new one.

The problem is the book is called the Amazing Spider-Man, not the Amazing Random Bad Guys. I noticed you said nothing about enjoying the supposedly titular hero?

White Rabbit is far more amusing in issues written by JM DeMatteis. I suggest seeing if you can find them so you have an actually funny starting point for comparison. If you enjoyed this issue, you will LOVE the DeMatteis stories.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-04-2024 at 09:04 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    The problem is the book is called the Amazing Spider-Man, not the Amazing Random Bad Guys. I noticed you said nothing about enjoying the supposedly titular hero?

White Rabbit is far more amusing in issues written by JM DeMatteis. I suggest seeing if you can find them so you have an actually funny starting point for comparison. If you enjoyed this issue, you will LOVE the DeMatteis stories.
    Even She-Hulk does more in this book than Spidey does.

Yeah, Wells writes a lot of White Rabbit but he writes her more like a female goon compared to how actually zany and crazy she's supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post

Yes, I enjoyed reading about Spider-Man. If I didn't enjoy reading about a lead character or how the character is used I wouldn't buy the comic.

I suppose that I should point out that I enjoy watching the good guys getting the $#!% beat out of them in stories. I also enjoy it when they don't always win.
    Archangel appears as my avatar. He is my favorite character. Watching him be subjected to physical and mental injury is something I enjoy. Yes, I like it when he wins, but I don't mind watching his entire world fall apart when he is either maimed or his girlfriend is murdered or such things.

Now I say this knowing perfectly well that many Spider-Man fans feel that Spider-Man is beaten up to often, or to easily, or is just plain written to look bad to often in his own comic. And many feel that all three happen to often. That is fine. It is a perfectly valid critique.
    I'm just in the minority who like this run on Spider-Man.

Fantastic Member

About the ending...

spoilers:
    I wonder if it isn't Janice and crew that Fisk ordered his men to shoot at... but his son? Maybe knew what Masque had planned and decided to pull a fast one? Or maybe make people think Richard is dead?
    end of spoilers

Yes, I enjoyed reading about Spider-Man. If I didn't enjoy reading about a lead character or how the character is used I wouldn't buy the comic.

I suppose that I should point out that I enjoy watching the good guys getting the $#!% beat out of them in stories. I also enjoy it when they don't always win.
    Archangel appears as my avatar. He is my favorite character. Watching him be subjected to physical and mental injury is something I enjoy. Yes, I like it when he wins, but I don't mind watching his entire world fall apart when he is either maimed or his girlfriend is murdered or such things.

Now I say this knowing perfectly well that many Spider-Man fans feel that Spider-Man is beaten up to often, or to easily, or is just plain written to look bad to often in his own comic. And many feel that all three happen to often. That is fine. It is a perfectly valid critique.
    I'm just in the minority who like this run on Spider-Man.
    Well, I can see why people who are fans of their characters being put through the ringer would enjoy this run yet at the same time I feel like you need to balance it out and at the very least still focus on the character in question when it's their own title.

Especially when other runs never had this problem.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Oh, Lonnie should absolutely be able to body Fisk in an straight up fist fight. Lonnie is a meta human and Fisk is just really strong compared to the average person. Now you can make the argument that Lonnie is freshly out of the hospital so that would even the playing field, but what actually stood out was Fisk shrugging off Pete attacking him from behind and then punching him across the room.

Pete holds back when fighting against unpowered individuals, that's his thing. And I'm not one to harp on whenever Pete "jobs" but that was probably the most glaring of all the instances this run. lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Oh, Lonnie should absolutely be able to body Fisk in an straight up fist fight. Lonnie is a meta human and Fisk is just really strong compared to the average person. Now you can make the argument that Lonnie is freshly out of the hospital so that would even the playing field, but what actually stood out was Fisk shrugging off Pete attacking him from behind and then punching him across the room.

Pete holds back when fighting against unpowered individuals, that's his thing. And I'm not one to harp on whenever Pete "jobs" but that was probably the most glaring of all the instances this run. lol
    Peter should have been able to hold his own against Fisk, Tombstone, and even Mary but he doesn't because...plot.

Remember that episode of Spectacular where he took down Tombstone, Silvermane, and Doc Ock in one night? Good times. This Spider-Man is lucky when he lands a single hit on somebody, not that it does any good.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Peter should have been able to hold his own against Fisk, Tombstone, and even Mary but he doesn't because...plot.

Remember that episode of Spectacular where he took down Tombstone, Silvermane, and Doc Ock in one night? Good times. This Spider-Man is lucky when he lands a single hit on somebody, not that it does any good.
    Hell, the Kingpin/Tombstone fight would've made sense if Pete was the one trying to hold off Typhoid Mary, but Jen is still in the story and needs something to do so Pete got relegated to Henchmen cleanup.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Hell, the Kingpin/Tombstone fight would've made sense if Pete was the one trying to hold off Typhoid Mary, but Jen is still in the story and needs something to do so Pete got relegated to Henchmen cleanup.
    And she's not even a regular in this book! She already has her own solo (that isn't a tie-in to this event but still)!

Astonishing Member

I'm amazed this is my 3rd ASM week that I didn't buy the book. maybe i can make this boycott last and destroy that habit once for all until ASM get a better writing team and premise.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I'm amazed this is my 3rd ASM week that I didn't buy the book. maybe i can make this boycott last and destroy that habit once for all until ASM get a better writing team and premise.
    You can do it! We support you!
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Honestly, I can't blame you.

The incredible shrinking Spiderman continues...Peter now has the stature and size of an eleven year old. Typhoid Mary is even huge compared to him. Pathetic...
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    This Gang War needed Delilah
    Yes, Delilah could have really livened things up.
    The spider is always on the hunt.