Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Disney's Percy Jackson and the Olympians

I've been streaming this as it comes out, and I've enjoyed it far better than the films. The treatment of Medusa alone is leaps and bounds better, as it dialing down the comedy.

While I like the series making the characters younger than their movie interpretations (which I understand is the books' take), it does make the parallels to Potter a bit more obvious.

It's been a fun and solid adaption all around! It's nice watching the young actors grow into their roles and it's fun for me to watch to see how they get around showing Grover's hooves .

Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

I haven't read the books but am watching this with my brother who has so its cool to hear the different changes they've made from the books. With that being said I'm enjoying this show. I didn't like the kid who plays percy in the first episode but he's growing on me after watching episodes 2&3. Also having a little knowledge of Olympic lore makes it fun to try and guess what monsters and deities are showing up.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's been a fun and solid adaption all around! It's nice watching the young actors grow into their roles and it's fun for me to watch to see how they get around showing Grover's hooves .
    I particularly like Annabelle's ruthlessness and the depiction of Grover as more than a Diversity Sidekick

Astonishing Member

I have been watching. Really well done, it hits the mark where its made for young adults but can keep adults interested as well. Probably the best non-marvel, non Star Wars show I have seen Disney plus turn out.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I have been watching. Really well done, it hits the mark where its made for young adults but can keep adults interested as well. Probably the best non-marvel, non Star Wars show I have seen Disney plus turn out.
    I agree. Somewhat surprises me that it's not making more noise in the broader world.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I agree. Somewhat surprises me that it's not making more noise in the broader world.
    My understanding is its been well received and Disney is happy with the ratings. But what makes the pop culture zeitgeist these days is unpredictable to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    My understanding is its been well received and Disney is happy with the ratings. But what makes the pop culture zeitgeist these days is unpredictable to say the least.
    I head it's doing great streaming numbers but it seems like you can never tell because I remember when Ahsoka was streaming I kept hearing "Ahsoka is doing great!" "Ahsoka is doing bad!" in equal measure.

I am loving it! It's must watch TV with me and my GF. Though her 8 year old daughter doesn't like it...Her 2 loves are Roblox and Justin/Adam(LankyBox) so if they had a Lanky box in there I bet she would watch...

It's okay, but I've been finding it a bit repetitive.

It figures that Athena would have kids in a way that's very...Athena. And she can be just as petty as any God. Annabeth knows full well the history of Medusa even if she didn't want to acknowledge it.

Soccer mom Echidna!

Aw, Percy finally has a moment with his dad! Kind of!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    A certain group tried because there was a black girl in it and they got drown out.

I think it's being ignored because of Disney's bigger targets to attack.

Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

So finished the series and overall thought this show was pretty good. Episode 5&6 I felt like dragged for me but the finale was good so I'm willing to overlook that. My favorite thing about this show was Percy's attitude, I love how he's so sick of the God's bull**** and calls them out everytime( he was talking to Zeus and Ares crazy lol). It seems like book readers weren't the biggest fans of the show, I'm curious what they didn't like. Anyway hope this gets renewed for season 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Trapgodthanos View Post
    So finished the series and overall thought this show was pretty good. Episode 5&6 I felt like dragged for me but the finale was good so I'm willing to overlook that. My favorite thing about this show was Percy's attitude, I love how he's so sick of the God's bull**** and calls them out everytime( he was talking to Zeus and Ares crazy lol). It seems like book readers weren't the biggest fans of the show, I'm curious what they didn't like. Anyway hope this gets renewed for season 2!
    My son has read all the books and sub series and what not.

I would call him a super fan.

He loves the show. Said it made up for the movies and then some.

I've only heard the book fans don't like Ares and the other gods having ... Personality.

Ares was more jokey than the books is one thing my son said.

That sounds like an improvement to me. One dimensional characters getting more rounded characterizations sounds good to me. He also said one of his friends didn't like that Percy wasn't blonde and Zeus was black but my son pointed out those characters aren't defined by those characteristics.

Sounded like some of the dislike is like what we comic book fans deal with as far as people complaining about aesthetics over tone and characterizations.

I mean, the books were very much like modern supers IMHO.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-31-2024 at 04:56 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It's a shame we won't get to see Lance Reddick play Zeus again.

I really like how they handled Luke here.