Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Why is there not just a way to react to a post with “WAT?” without having to make a whole post?

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    Jean massacred planets, died, and wasn’t an X-Man for 11 years.

Give me peace.
    We know now that she was doing multiversal Phoenix work for the X-Men in the White Hot Room during these 11 years.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Anyone want to see the face Gregor will make when she realized doomed humanity when Nimrod turn on her and reveal their true intentions and they hate humans as much as they hate mutants.
    I'm actually intrigued by the notion of how racists / supremacists always dial down deeper and deeper. There was a Lovecraft story set on a Nazi Uboat encountering some Mythos strangeness, and the racist nuts inside started dividing against each other on basis of who was a Prussian and who was a Rhinelander, distinctions so fine that many non-Germans would have no idea that there were different shades of Nazi. Similarly, Omega Sentinel was a human, and Nimrod has a human personality downloaded into it's processors. What do *real* machine intelligences, like the Phalanx, or Machine Man, think of these 'people turned into machines?' Do they regard them, or even human-derived AI like Ultron and Jocasta and Vision, as being as 'fake AI' as we (rightly) regard Sinister as a 'fake mutant?'

The 'imagine the look on their face' goes to a whole 'nuther level when Nimrod and Omega Sentinel find out that the machine intelligence behind the Phalanx considers them impure, corrupted by their organic infestation / origins, and a greater threat to the machine intelligences integrity than filthy short-lived organic life ever could be...

Hate never just has one target. It goes all the way down. (Straight to self-loathing, it seems.)

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, I have only known Jean as being 5'6" tall. Not sure where I know that from, lol.

Thanks for posting these 2 official info panels for Jean, Grinning Soul. I love the second one, the Marvel Phoenix Legacy.
    No problem, hon. :)

I hope Duggan finally gives Cyclops some personality beyond the "I love my wife and family" he is stuck with since Krakoa began.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    According to this image, she's suppose to be 5'4"...

Jean being drawn tall is probably because of the movies where Famke Janssen towered over everybody except Hugh Jackman.
    This page is excellent but it isn't canon as it's from Dave Cockrum's X-Men Model Sheets. Jean Grey is and has always been canonically depicted as being 5'6".

Last edited by Micabe; 12-30-2023 at 04:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Jean Grey is and has always been canonically depicted as being 5'6".
    While I agree with that, and when she's leaning up to kiss Scott, artists tend to get it right, other days, like in Jim Lee's X-Men Gold lineup shot, she's standing next to 5'11" Ororo and the two of them are practically eye to eye!

I am always surprised by 'official' height rankings. Many male heroes run from 6'2" like Captain America, 6' 3" for Cyclops, to 6'6" like Captain Britain. Cannonball, like, defined by being a 'beanpole,' is only six foot?

And then there's the ones that fluctuate. Juggernaut and Frenzy are a different improbable height ever appearance, it seems. This week Joanna is officially 6'11", but she's never shown in those SWORD or Red appearances towering a foot taller than Ororo! (And I'm pretty sure she was 7' + back in her Alliance of Evil days, although Apocalypse and his Celestial-tech glowups could be to blame for that...)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    While I agree with that, and when she's leaning up to kiss Scott, artists tend to get it right, other days, like in Jim Lee's X-Men Gold lineup shot, she's standing next to 5'11" Ororo and the two of them are practically eye to eye!

I am always surprised by 'official' height rankings. Many male heroes run from 6'2" like Captain America, 6' 3" for Cyclops, to 6'6" like Captain Britain. Cannonball, like, defined by being a 'beanpole,' is only six foot?

And then there's the ones that fluctuate. Juggernaut and Frenzy are a different improbable height ever appearance, it seems. This week Joanna is officially 6'11", but she's never shown in those SWORD or Red appearances towering a foot taller than Ororo! (And I'm pretty sure she was 7' + back in her Alliance of Evil days, although Apocalypse and his Celestial-tech glowups could be to blame for that...)
    In regards to Frenzy, it's likely that C-list characters will have more fluctuation in their displayed height, either because of being drawn less often and therefor consistent or editors not being as concerned about the artist keeping them consistent than the more beloved ones.

Furtheremore there is also the factor that a characters role in a story might affect how artist want to depict them, including their size.

For example when someone is a villain, they might get drawn larger so as to appear more imposing and so the heros can look better overcomming a bigger opponent. Meanwhile when they become heros or interact with them more often in a civil manner they might become shorter in order to fit better into dialoge scenes or not stick out too much during group shots.

Logan got drawn six foot tall in a recent Wolverine and this is what gets you all worked up?

It seems people have forgotten that it was Al Ewing that established the Fastball Special as one of the earliest mutant circuits of the modern age.
    Duggan is expanding on pre-established continuity.

Check out S.W.O.R.D. 1:

sword1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Bringing back the Mutant Circuits idea like it actually had any meaning .
    Actually, it's been a prominent feature of this era ever since Hickman introduced it in HoX 5.
    It was a mutant circuit (The Five) that resurrected thousands of dead mutants.
    It was a mutant circuit that terraformed the dead planet Mars into the living planet Arakko.
    It was a mutant circuit (The Six) that mined the Mystery for mysterium, which forms the backbone of current galactic economy.

Anyway, Duggan spending 4 full pages to describe mutant circuits should send the foreshadowing bells ringing.

Either this Screwball Special move is going to come back in a major way in the ending of FoHoX, or starting the story with the simplest mutant circuit is leading to the formation of the greatest mutant circuit at the ending of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    In regards to Frenzy, it's likely that C-list characters will have more fluctuation in their displayed height, either because of being drawn less often and therefor consistent or editors not being as concerned about the artist keeping them consistent than the more beloved ones.

Furtheremore there is also the factor that a characters role in a story might affect how artist want to depict them, including their size.

For example when someone is a villain, they might get drawn larger so as to appear more imposing and so the heros can look better overcomming a bigger opponent. Meanwhile when they become heros or interact with them more often in a civil manner they might become shorter in order to fit better into dialoge scenes or not stick out too much during group shots.
    On the other hand, sometimes it's just funnier to make the Juggernaut an actual bumpy giant when show in a mundane activity, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    It seems people have forgotten that it was Al Ewing that established the Fastball Special as one of the earliest mutant circuits of the modern age.

Check out S.W.O.R.D. 1:

sword1.jpg

Actually, it's been a prominent feature of this era ever since Hickman introduced it in HoX 5.
    It was a mutant circuit that terraformed the dead planet Mars into the living planet Arakko.
    It was a mutant circuit (The Six) that mined the Mystery for mysterium, which forms the backbone of current galactic economy.

Anyway, Duggan spending 4 full pages to describe mutant circuits should send the foreshadowing bells ringing.

Either this Screwball Special move is going to come back in a major way in the ending of FoHoX, or starting the story with the simplest mutant circuit is leading to the formation of the greatest mutant circuit at the ending of the story.
    A funny thing : Days of the Future Past movie plot made a "better" mutant circuit out of Kitty/Logan than the original Rachel/Kate in the comics.

Astonishing Member

Check out S.W.O.R.D. 1:

sword1.jpg

Okay thank you because I knew it was either Hickman or somebody else lol

Honestly, I didn't think people were going to find the concept of the fastball special being a mutant circuit so controversial lol especially since the writer was just working off of previously established canon.

But some people really don't like Duggan here I see.

Check out S.W.O.R.D. 1:

sword1.jpg

The subtle difference is the S.W.O.R.D. example says earliest "named" example, being the fastball special, which sure ok...The Z'Noxx feat, or Storm&Polaris launching Krakoa into space didn't have names per se, but that's different than attributing the FS as the primordial circuit mutant technology.

Actually, there should be some rudimentary "mutant circuit" tactics from plenty of Danger Room sessions...Cyke used to shout out stuff like "MANEUVER DELTA 7" in the field.

But whatever, they're going for what's more popular and frequently used

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    The subtle difference is the S.W.O.R.D. example says earliest "named" example, being the fastball special, which sure ok...The Z'Noxx feat, or Storm&Polaris launching Krakoa into space didn't have names per se, but that's different than attributing the FS as the primordial circuit mutant technology.

Actually, there should be some rudimentary "mutant circuit" tactics from plenty of Danger Room sessions...Cyke used to shout out stuff like "MANEUVER DELTA 7" in the field.

But whatever, they're going for what's more popular and frequently used
    I was actually coming here to make that exact same point lol. Plenty of mutant circuits have been used before the fastball special - hell, even in the original Giant-Size mission to rescue the 05 from Krakoa, they pooled their powers to fling Krakoa into space, and that was before the first time they coined the term fastball special, I believe. But the distinction Ewing made here was of the fastball special as a specific coordination of mutant abilities with a name unto itself. That's a very different thing from Duggan acting like that was the first time mutants used their powers in conjunction with each other, but.....nuance. C'est la vie.