BANNED

Default what are some good animated Superman movies?

just wondering what are some other good decent animated Superman movies to watch?

Im watching the 2018 Death of Superman movie that's on Tubi

Is the Superman/Batman Public Enemies animated movie any good or skip it?

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    just wondering what are some other good decent animated Superman movies to watch?

Im watching the 2018 Death of Superman movie that's on Tubi

Is the Superman/Batman Public Enemies animated movie any good or skip it?
    All-Star Superman is one to watch. It's not quite as good as the comic, but I actually like the movie's ending better than the comic's.

I'd recommend Public Enemies as a fun, easy watch. If you're particular for being faithful to the comics, note that they had to change the ending because the movie is self-contained whereas the comic was the fist arc in Loeb's run. As an aside, one thing that annoyed me about this movie is spoilers:
    they took a joke from the beginning of the comic where Superman sneaks up on Batman and turn it into a moment in the end when Batman sneaks away from Superman
    end of spoilers; if you're familiar with complaints about Batman bias from that creative team, it's just another thing to add to the list.

I think Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is on par with the comic it's based on. Personally, I don't love the comic, and I didn't like the movie's ending compared well next to the comic book's, but that's mostly a nitpick. The comic was historically important because it brought back Supergirl after about 18 years of Kara's being out of continuity, but I'm not sure the movie packs any of that historical weight in 2023/2024.

Superman: Doomsday is probably skippable in the sense that the 2018 movie is better in most meaningful ways, particularly in being more faithful to the comics. But that implies that you should also watch Reign of the Supermen, which I didn't think was particularly good at adapting the comic arc from the 1990s. Still, that's just my opinion, and it's probably better to watch Reign since it wraps up the two-parter you started.

Superman vs the Elite is relatively faithful to "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" It's one of the rare cases when the movie had to lengthen a comic story. It's just too bad the production value for the movie is noticeably lower than other movies from that time. I'd say check it out unless you dislike the comic since the new stuff in the movie doesn't do much to make the comic story more palatable to those who disliked it.

Superman: Unbound is pretty forgettable despite Brainiac and Supergirl. It and the Elite movie were so commercially unsuccessful that they stopped making Superman movies until they decided to bring back Doomsday to the screen.

So long story short, the two I'd recommend most for you are All-Star and Reign, but if you have time and are curious I'd say catch the others.

My favorites, in no particular order:

Superman Vs. The Elite: an excellent adaptation of an excellent story that, sadly, doesn't have the best character designs. I think the movie suffered a great deal because of this, despite the film being one of the most iconic representations of Superman on film.

All-Star Superman: a beautiful film in every way, though the source material deserved at least a two-parter. It still bothers me that the inferior and overrated TDKR got a two-part adaptation when All-Star Superman only had a measly seventy minutes.

Superman Batman Public Enemies: in my opinion, the very best DC animated film despite some odd choices that have already been touched on by others. Like the DCAU World's Finest, it captures the heart of Superman and Batman. If people with brains and a true passion for and understanding of DC were in charge at WB, they'd have brought Loeb (a screenwriter) aboard to adapt Public Enemies (the comic) into a live-action feature film. Imagine that story on the big screen in live action. It would have shamed the MCU films at the box office and would have been the cultural phenomenon Superman and Batman's first live-action team-up should have been. NOTE: I consider it primarily a Superman film as the story mainly deals with Superman's world: Luthor as president and antagonist, the danger of the kryptonite asteroid, etc.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman/shazam
    Death of superman writtern by tomasi
    All star was ok as well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-28-2023 at 10:54 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"