Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default The Phantom: which version was the best

Out of all comic book versions of Lee Fall’s the Phantom, which one was your favorite & or the best (in case) if they are different?
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Astonishing Member

As a kid I read the Phantom comic, the trades and a super sized magazine. I believe they are not published in the US. As far as I know they came from Italy, so Phantom was pretty big in Europe, even bigger than in the states. Even the newspaper strips were there, they started in 1949 or something. Right now, we have new publications, I don't know where they are coming from.

It was always Kit Walker for me. The one and only. I believe there wasn't another character than Kit in the European publications.

My favorite story though, was written by Peter David. It is called Danger in the Forbidden City.

If we're limiting it to comic books and not strips or strip collections, my favorite would be the end of the Charlton run in the mid-70s with Don Newton doing the art and painted covers.

There have been other runs I like (the '88 mini from DC by Peter David and Joe Orlando also stands out), but the Newton issues are my absolute favorite.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

I like the Marvel version a lot, I would like to see an ongoing series
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I was pretty bummed when the Last Phantom ended prematurely, I thought that was a great modern take.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!