Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default 2023: The Celebrity Passing That Hit Me Hardest Was _________.

Gordon Lightfoot. His music just spoke to my heart. The sound of his voice telling stories always transported me somewhere mystical.

For 2023 deaths it has to be Marty Krofft. I spent hours with my dad watching Hr Puff and Stuff. I would not have those memories with my dad with out Marty Croft and Sid.
    Last edited by babyblob; 12-29-2023 at 06:32 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Oops. I thought you mean over all celeb death. Didnt read the part about 2023
    My bad.

So deleted my story.
    S'okay. Speak your piece amigo

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    S'okay. Speak your piece amigo
    Thank you. My original story.

The death that hit me hardest not just 2023 but over all and still to this day is John Ritter. When I worked at the Newport Aquarium he his wife and kids came in. He laughed and just had a great time with his family. And even though he was with his family he stopped and said hello to fans and joked. He talked with me for about 5 minutes and I told him I was a fan. I told him I watched Threes company on the reruns with my dad. He cracked a joke about making him feel old. he had a great laugh and was warm and friendly with everyone.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

For me it was Paul Rubens/PeeWee Herman. Didn't know him personally but just loved his work and sense of humor.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Since this is a comics forum, the loss of John Romita Sr. was a gut punch to me. I grew up reading the Spider-Man books he drew and loved his work, and yeah, Mr. Romita also designed the iconic look of the Punisher.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

^^^Indeed. A sad loss. Truly unsurpassable (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-30-2023 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I’d say that Sinead and Matthew Perry were shocking and the most impactful on me. They were only slightly older than me, which made me feel my mortality. Andre Braugher’s death probably made me the saddest. And I did listen to a lot of Tina after her passing in her honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    For me it was Paul Rubens/PeeWee Herman. Didn't know him personally but just loved his work and sense of humor.
    Oh yes. I forgot he died this year. He’s still alive in my brain. I still have the talking doll from the 80’s.
    Last edited by useridgoeshere; 12-30-2023 at 07:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

Although it was hardly shocking (he died at age 96), Tony Bennett's passing saddened me more than that of most of the other celebrities who died this year. I'm old, and I've listened to his music for many decades, so it always felt comfortable to know that he was still around, and somehow I just hoped that he always would be.

Astonishing Member

Bud Spencer A childhood hero of mine, mostly known in Europe. His movies and career were awesome.

and Stan Lee

And i forgot Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. With Chris is was more a shock than sadness, because of what happened.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Since this is a comics forum, the loss of John Romita Sr. was a gut punch to me. I grew up reading the Spider-Man books he drew and loved his work, and yeah, Mr. Romita also designed the iconic look of the Punisher.
    Romita was a giant.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Although it was hardly shocking (he died at age 96), Tony Bennett's passing saddened me more than that of most of the other celebrities who died this year. I'm old, and I've listened to his music for many decades, so it always felt comfortable to know that he was still around, and somehow I just hoped that he always would be.
    Lady Gaga's stories about how much he loved music were really touching to me.

Ultimate Member

Lance Reddick and Andre Braugher really moved me because these are guys that we see regularly in different places.

Reddick in particular was a pretty prolific voice actor so as a gamer and a film fan, it really hit home. Destiny players (thousands of them) paid a very touching tribute to him via his character (Zavala) in the game.

In terms of pure shock, it has to be Mathew Perry because he was still relatively young.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-30-2023 at 11:40 PM.

Andre Braugher. I loved him in Brooklyn 99. His deadpan delivery always cracked me up.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Paul Reubens was definitely the one that hurt the most this year. Pee-Wee’s Playhouse was such a huge part of my childhood and Pee Wee’s Big Adventure is still one of my favorite movies of all time.

I watched his amazing stage show on Max right after he died and when he says “goodbye” at the end I teared up.