Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

January: 140

February:
    Thunderbolts Uncaged omnibus: 49
    Hawkeye omnibus by Fraction: 13 (I just can't finish this)
    Complete Klaus: 11
    Sigil omnibus: 46
    Brandon Sanderson's White Sand omnibus: 19

Total: 278
    Last edited by JPAR; 02-23-2024 at 03:18 AM.

Mighty Member

40-43 Batman (2016) 2-5- Managed to get through this first arc (there's an epilogue issue). Personally, I think it's fine. It never really wowed me, but I wasn't annoyed while reading it. I think it's a perfectly fine set-up and I look forward to seeing what Tom King does in the future with this series.

44 Fantastic Four #18- Oh man, this was a fun issue. You can slowly see the book come together and actually become something that's not just "What can we do this month?" It still has traces on the early issue silliness, but Kirby's art is getting better and the plots are improving. This is probably my favourite issue so far.

Mighty Member

45-49 Fantastic Four 19-21, Annual 1- These issues were once again, a fun time. Lee and Kirby are starting to take the comic a bit more serious now as the plots, while ridiculous, are beginning to resemble what the run would be best known for. The art is improving and the family dynamics are beginning to fall into place. The annual was a great story which felt bigger. I also liked that it went into the origins of Namor.
    We get a "Kang" story at last, and I like how the story leads it open to his true background. While the narrative was still rather silly, it does expand the FF universe a little more. I just wish Kang would fight the FF more.
    The hate monger issue was certainly a plot devised by Kirby. While very heavy handed, I thought this was one of the better FF issues so far. Turning it into a Jungle War story wasn't where I was expecting the story to go, but considering we get a pre eye-patch Fury, maybe I should have expected it to go there.
    These issues where a lot of fun to read.

And considering that the next comic I read will be my 50th of the year thus far, maybe I should return to one of the series I have read so far...

Mighty Member

50- Avengers (1998) #4- This issue was a whole lot better than the first 3. I liked the drama and the characterisation, it certainly feels like a lofty book to read. It certainly feels like a bridge between the first arc and the second arc, getting into the new era of Avengers proper. That and Perez's artwork is still top notch.
    One of the better books I've read recently.

51- Runaways and Young Avengers: Secret Invasion #1- Going to have to be honest, while I felt the writing was fine, the artwork didn't do much for me. Overall, I enjoyed the issue, but it's not something I'm in any hurry of continuing.

52-55- Amazing Spider-Man 394. Web of Spider-Man 117, Spectacular Spider-Man 217 & Spider-Man 51- Ah the Clone Saga, I'll be coming back to this era every few months or so (in fact, I have so much to talk about this story that I may have to write up a review for it). Regardless, I feel this was a mixed bag, with so many writers and artists, there is no focus. Lines and ideas are repeated throughout the story, and the return of the Clone is a story arc in on itself. Really, the Judas Traveller stuff gets in the way of a much better comic. As it stands, I do like the small team-up between Peter and Ben, but for me to really understand the context, I feel I should read the David Michelinie run (of which I own it all in trades).
    Regardless, this was a fine start, it was just a bit messy.

After 109 in January, I'm up to 60 so far in February while reading through Akira in trade.

Mighty Member

56-57 Amazing Spider-Man 296-297- I got curious about the DM era of Spider-Man and so just went with the start of his run proper. These where fine issues, I liked them enough, but they didn't wow me. They do feel like the end of an era, the last grip of the classic era of Spider-Man before it became more modern, with Mcfarlane's art being the centre for the next 30 issues. However, these issues feel like an Spider-Man book from the mid 80's. Anyway, enjoyable but not vital.

58- GODS #1- I've had this book in my read pile for a few months now and after reading it, my main complaint is weirdly enough how dense this book is. It's by far the most esoteric work Hickman has done at Marvel, essentially creating lore within the Magic World. While it's all good, it does feel like the main plot of the comic, the big action, got resolved too quickly. However, if my biggest problem with the comic is that "it felt too big" than it's doing something right. It's a near perfect comic and I can't wait to read more.

59- All Star Batman and Robin #1- After the highs of my most recent reads, I needed to come down to Earth with the most memeable Batman comic. Yeah, this first issue kind of sucks, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been. It feels like not a lot happens, and Bruce is barely a Character in it so far. The whole date seems to happen just because of the plot and the ending with Batman essentially recruiting Dick to be Robin had that scent of whiplash.
    All that being said, the artwork is great and is honestly worth the price I paid for admission. It's a shame that it's one of the worst Batman comics because it's probably one of the best looking.
    I can't wait to share my journey into losing my mind with you guys.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Just finished my reread of House of M - taking me to a straight 250. This is easily the most I’ve read for a good few years. Not sure what’s next, yet.

Mighty Member

60-70- Spawn 58-68- So... these issues were pretty fun to read. Not a lot of story happens in these issues, but it does feel the plot is moving forward. The issue where the two kids from #29 return was a nice "these are the consequences to your actions" issue, I like it when a comic showcases that the Hero messes up.
    Thank God I'm not reading this month to month, mostly because we're still not over the Kincaid plot from waaay back in #5.
    The amount of times Spawn goes after Jason however, only for nothing to really happen. It's fun, but can be rather frustrating at times.
    Anyway, yeah, these issues where fine. Guess after a few days of not really reading much, I managed to get through over 10 issues over the course of a few days.

Mighty Member

71-73 Spawn 69-71- The last issues where McFarlane writes by himself, and yeah, this feels like an ending to a run. A lot of the more recent plots are coming together, but I've read these issues before around #24, it just feels like it's repeating itself at this point. Saying that, I look forward to how someone else can come in and basically write Todd's comics for him, as issue 71 was probably the best issue I've read in a while. As usual, Capullo is at the top of his game here and his artwork is by far the most enjoyable aspect of this comic.

74- All Star Batman and Robin #2- it took us a single issue, but we got to the point where Miller has lost the plot. This issue has the ever so memeable line, yet narrative wise, nothing really happens. It takes an entire issue for Dick Grayson just to say "Yeah, I'll be Robin" and it didn't even take much, Batman just had called him a retard and made his car fly. However, Jim Lee's pencils are truly breathtaking here. Honestly, if there was a version of this comic without any dialogue, I'd happily pay for it because man... Jim Lee is really a great artist.

75- Batman (2016) 6- And from a bad Batman comic to a good one, here we finally finish the "I am Gotham" story, and I like this issue a lot. It really delves into the trauma of a Superhero, something which isn't touched upon as much in a comic. Could it have been handled better? Maybe, but I do think King understands the trauma he is writing about. I'm hoping King can keep this pace from here on in because this was such a great issue.

Mighty Member

76- Fantastic Four 22- This issue was fine, if a bit silly. It feels odd that Mole Man would be taken a serious threat, even after Doctor Doom and the Skrulls, but hey! It's the sixties and Stan and Jack wanted to sell comics. Not much to really say about this issue besides it was okay.

77-80- Batman 7&8, Detective Comic 941, Nightwing 5- The first crossover within Tom King's Batman run, yeah this feels like the momentum from the previous 6 issues of Batman comes to a screeching stop. These issues are fine, with it getting great in places, but you can tell this is not King's story. I do like how the Batfamily are using detective work to try to figure out what is going on, and it does follow up on some of the ideas that were presented in the previous "I am Gotham" arc. Overall, this has been a cool little mini event.

81-85- X-Force 1-4 & Spider-Man 16- Oh God, the 90's! The artwork in the X-Force comics is kinda... bad. But it's bad in the same way a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie is bad, it's still entertaining even if what's on the screen isn't pleasant to look at. Other than that, you can tell Fabian is trying to break out of Rob's hold on the plot as he does a decent job of what he is given. The Spider-Man crossover featured the most annoying gimmick of the 90's, the sideways comic. Honestly, this sucked and it didn't really add anything to the comic at hand. Was it cool? Maybe if I was 12, but nearing the age of 30, man, I just want to sit and read my comics without much hassle. Anyway, I didn't mind reading this comic so much. I'll probably give it a break once Rob leaves however...

Mighty Member

A few more from last night-
    86-87- Detective Comics 942 and Nightwing 6- The Finale to the Night of the Monster Men crossover, honestly, I found this conclusion kind of fun. It doesn't really add much to the overall Batman saga, but it does serve as a nice addition to the Bane stuff that King has been building up on. Honestly, I found this entertaining enough, I'm glad I picked it up but it is very missable.

88-89, X-Force 5&6- Yeah... these issues were fine. X-Force seems to a comic at odds with itself, it wants to tell really cool and action packed stories, yet the only action in these issues were some training segments. Really, these issues are more about the relationships between the members, and it's here where I did enjoy what Fabian was trying to do. Honestly, I look forward to when the book gets out of Rob's control so that Fabian can finally have room to breath. Again, these issues are fine, but the build up to the new Brotherhood just doesn't feel earned.

90- Peter Parker Spider-Man (1999) 16- Ah this weird issue where Venom fights Sandman. Honestly, this comic was literally a by the numbers Spider-Man comic, to the point it was very self referential on the fact that it is. I know this era isn't hugely popular, but it's the era just before I got into Spider-Man, so it kind of feels like this special period where things looked interesting. I like this issue, even if I'm the only Person in the World who does. I plan to read more Mackie issues as again, I find that era kind of interesting. But this one comic was a nice one-off that felt like I didn't need any context and I don't need to read the next hundred issues. Just a fun book that I may never look at again besides going "that's an interesting cover".

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

That's cool, and fun to hear about kind of digging a comic and appreciating it, even if it kind of fell off the beaten path over the years etc. Hidden gems and whatnot.

January: 140

February:
    Thunderbolts Uncaged omnibus: 49
    Hawkeye omnibus by Fraction: 13 (I just can't finish this)
    Complete Klaus: 11
    Sigil omnibus: 46
    Brandon Sanderson's White Sand omnibus: 19
    Annihilation omnibus: 30
    Strange Adventures deluxe: 12

Total: 320
    Last edited by JPAR; 02-29-2024 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    71-73 Spawn 69-71- The last issues where McFarlane writes by himself, and yeah, this feels like an ending to a run. A lot of the more recent plots are coming together, but I've read these issues before around #24, it just feels like it's repeating itself at this point. Saying that, I look forward to how someone else can come in and basically write Todd's comics for him, as issue 71 was probably the best issue I've read in a while. As usual, Capullo is at the top of his game here and his artwork is by far the most enjoyable aspect of this comic.
    Are you going to keep going on Spawn? I'd like to hear about how it is after Todd stops writing.

Bringing February to a close with 100 books for the month, 209 for the year so far.

Transformers #5 - Continuing to enjoy this series. I go back and forth on the art as it has a messy style that can make it hard to grasp the action. The writing has been great, though. Optimus Prime is spot on, as is Starscream.

Duke #2 - More Energon Universe. Good, too.

Red Hood: The Hill #1 - Ooh, wasn't into this. Bought it because I like Jason, even though I don't follow the Bat Universe very closely. Had no idea who any of the characters were. Jason has a crime team or something? I'm sad I have the next few issues on preorder.

GI Joe: A Real American Hero (1982) #1-9 - Since I've been into the new GI Joe comics, I thought I'd check out the 80s series. I like it. Lots of explanations of the vehicles to sell toys, but outside of that, it's not all that "kiddy." Lots of killing. The Joes routinely talk about being willing to sacrifice each other's lives to finish a mission. And boy, do the male Joes want on Scarlet! And they are not quiet about it.

Geiger #1-6, Geiger 80 Page Giant #1, Geiger: Ground Zero #1-2 - Catching up on Geiger in anticipation of the full launch of Ghost Machine. Liked this even more than I thought. Tariq is an interesting character, and Geiger has a cool power set and great look. The origin issues were really good.