Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

February (with it's extra day, is now over, so time to tally...

YTD thus far (i.e. January) 129

February Reads
    Conan the Barbarian (2023) #7-8
    Red Sonja (2023) #7-8
    Space Usagi: Death and Honor #2-3
    Newburn #14-15
    Dungeons & Dragons: Fortune Finder #3-4
    Batman: The Brave & The Bold (2023) #9
    The Batman & Scooby Doo Mysteries (2024) #2
    Birds of Prey (‘23) #6
    Shazam(‘23) #8
    Batman(‘16) #142-143
    Savage Sword of Conan #47-48
    Quest #2
    The Agent #1-3
    Scooby Doo! Where Are You? #126
    Titans: Beast World #6
    Batman-Superman: World’s Finest #24, 2024 Annual
    Doctor Strange #12
    Adventures in the DC Universe #13-19, Annual 1
    Titans #8
    Wonder Woman #6
    Usagi Yojimbo: Ice & Snow #5
    Savage Red Sonja #4
    Savage Sword of Conan (2023) #1
    Nightwing #111
    Superman (‘23) #11
    Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver #1
    The Hunger & The Dusk #6
    Blue Book: 1947 #1
    Zorro: Man of the Dead #2
    Batman: City of Madness #3
    Harriet Tubman: Demon Slayer #5-6
    Detective Comics #1082
    Canary #3
    Daredevil ('64) #52-55
    The Flash Rebirth: The Deluxe Edition Vol. 3 (collects #28-38; story from 2017 DCU Holiday Special)
    Batman: The Rebirth Deluxe Edition Vol. 3 (collects #33-44, Annual 2)
    The Hunters OGN
    Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong (collects #1-3)
    Ghost Rider Vol. 1 (50’s; collects #1-2)
    Conan the Barbarian Vol. 1 Bound in Black Stone (Collects FCBD issues & #1-4)
    Superman: The One Who Fell (collects Superman #29-32; Action Comics #1029)
    Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow (collects #1-8)

for the equivalent of 104 comics for the months

new YTD Total Jan-Feb 129 + 104= 233

On to March...

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

February came and went with 145 books read. This brings my tally to 345 books read for the year. Highlights this month were Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 3 Omnibus, Avengers by Jonathan Hickman Vol 2 Omnibus and reading Jason Aaron's Southern Bastards.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...07&single=true

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    That's cool, and fun to hear about kind of digging a comic and appreciating it, even if it kind of fell off the beaten path over the years etc. Hidden gems and whatnot.
    I try to be as open minded as possible when it comes to comics. Even if an era isn't good, I still have some distance between now and when it was originally published.

Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Are you going to keep going on Spawn? I'd like to hear about how it is after Todd stops writing.
    Yes, I have the first 250 issues in trades, with the sixth compendium on pre order. I will be reading as much Spawn as I can, I just take a break every now and then to allow my own Spawn meter to charge.

Anyway, here's some newer books I've read;
    91-95- Batman 9-13- This arc was a good set-up for the rest of the run, if anything, this is where I feel King starts proper. While I didn't love it, and felt it was decompressed as Hell, there are a lot of ideas I enjoyed here. There is a very "Bendis" feel to this book so far, and not golden age Bendis, but more of the middling era of Bendis. None of this is to say it's bad so far, in fact, I think this is all very good. Batmen being Bruce's Suicide note feels like an edgy take that wouldn't look too out of place in the 90's. but it's a take I don't hate.

96- Sandman #3- Again, this comic is just great. Honestly one of the best things DC has put out. I both want to just read this all in one go, but also take my time with it. This issue is nearly perfect in all honesty, good stuff.

97- Peter Parker Spider-Man 85- Another weird Mackie era comic. This one was a lot better than the prior Mackie book I read, for starters, this one deals mostly with Peter's personal life and relationships. The art was a bit weird in this one, wasn't a huge fan of it, but the overall product was fine. It also helped me understand the most underrated Character in Spider-Man history; Paul Stacy. I'm surprised he didn't make a comeback, instead we get Nu-Paul. Oh well.
    I picked this one up purely because I like the cover, the rest of the comic is okay too.
    Shocker is a lousy villain, but one I like to see pop up from time to time. Anyway, cool but forgettable comic. Honestly need more of those.

And with that, I've read less than 100 books in 2 months. I will most likely not reach the 1000 issue goal, but with enough practise in the routine, I may get there next year...

Mighty Member

98- The One Hand #1- I'm always up for reading a Ram V comic, and this was an interesting start with an interesting premise. It's the first time I've read something of his which doesn't rely too much on the horror aspects of a comic. I don't have much to say outside of I like this a lot and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

99- Avengers (vol 3) #5- This is my slow burn comic of the year, something I can just return to for an arc every few weeks or so. I liked this issue a lot, it does seem to be improving as the series understands that the relationships between the Characters are what makes this kind of book interesting.
    I'm liking how there's a lot set out within this book to slowly explore, such as the questions surrounding Carol and the use of Wonder Man.
    George Perez's art is once again masterful... my biggest regret is not getting the chance to meet him when I could. Such a wonderful artist, every page is so dense.
    You can bet I'm doing a reread of JLA/Avengers later on in the year...

Mighty Member

100- Hulk: The End- I wanted to read something special for my 100th comic of the year, and yeah, this was great. I've not read much of Peter David's hulk run, but he is a solid writer. This feels like a nice cap off with it telling a tragedy without it feeling too edgy. It's the kind of comic that worked better in the early 00's as opposed to the mid 90's. But this felt like a great read for the moment.

101- Avengers (vol 3) #6- Another solid issue of Avengers. I feel like Busiek is a living Wikipedia, being able to drum up the most obscure villains without you needing to know exactly who they are. It makes for a thrilling read and I'm looking forward to seeing more from thus run.

102- Avengers (vol 1) #89- It's a shame that in the nearly 20 years I've had the Kree/Skrull war, I've yet to read it.
    This books just drips of the 70's, it's a great indicator of what the decade would bring. It's a solid comic, if a bit over written at times. Rick is always a solid Character to see again. Part of the reason I'm reading this is to get me hyped for Peter David Captain Marvel run (you see, it all fits) and this is something that is certainly helping.
    I'll probably be on this book for a while now...
    But again, a solid first issue.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Ace Trucking Co. - ch 1-5

Mega Man 05

Those are my two latest, adding up to 4 comics total so far. So first two months were a dud, but I'm keeping my toe in the comic waters. Getting ready for a comeback.

My goal is 300 comics this year, so with 10 months that'll be pretty much 30 a month. Let's rock.

January: 140
    February: 180

March:
    Annihilation Conquest omnibus: 33
    Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning omnibus: 41

Total: 394
    Last edited by JPAR; 03-12-2024 at 09:31 AM.

@JPAR, what did you think of Sigil by the way? I noticed it changes writers etc, looks like a fun vibe though.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    @JPAR, what did you think of Sigil by the way? I noticed it changes writers etc, looks like a fun vibe though.
    I liked it a lot. But it's not finished.

Cool to hear, for sure I guess Crossgen books all ended that way, sounds fun though.

Oh, I didn't know. There isn't a follow up?

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Oh, I didn't know. There isn't a follow up?
    Crossgen ceased publication somewhat unexpectedly because of financial shortcomings and shenanigans. Some of the talent left before the absolute end, and others came in to try to pick up storylines, but none of the series reached their conclusion and all were left unfinished. Even when Marvel briefly revived a handful of the titles as 4 issue mini series about 10-15 years ago, they rebooted them rather than finishing the unfinished stories. I don't know if the omnibus releases are testing the waters ot see if their is enough of an audience to try finishing some of the series, but I doubt it. More likely to generate revenue on nostalgia and keep trademarks active.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Good to know. So maybe it's not worth for me to collect them at all?

Mighty Member

103-111- Avengers 90-97- Finally finished the Kree/Skrull war. I had a lot of fun with this saga, even through it feels a bit disjointed and we don't see much in the way of firefights between the Kree and Skrull. This felt like a war behind the scenes with Ronan being the main villain of this saga.
    It's a fun, 70's action comic which I felt got way too overhyped in the passing years. It all being a sequel to Fantastic Four #2 was a nice touch, giving the Universe a sense of scale even just 10 years after that story. The art is where this comic shines, Neal Adams did an amazing job with this arc and John Buscema continues to be one of the most underrated artists in the classic era. I do recommend this book, just note that it does have some old sensibilities in terms of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Good to know. So maybe it's not worth for me to collect them at all?
    That's up to each person, they're mostly good entertaining comics with solid art and storytelling. If having no conclusion bothers you, then you might want to pas, if you like what you are reading then it might be worth it regardless. No one can make that decision for you.

-M