Page 26 of 131 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    t'challa acquiescing to be gone from wakanda would be uncharacteritic and a derogation of his duties. the royal office might not have the power to rule anymore but that doesn't stop the bp from protecting wakanda and wakandans. honestly they need to flesh out this current political system and how it functions alongside the royal family. who control the vibranium? it wouldn't hurt to see how popular or unpopular democracy is being received and the prime minister should be a recurring supporting character who is a complete political shark that can't seem to be able to change public opinion on t'challa instead of the stories they give her that make her look silly and forgetful of her words in previous issues in the same run (ridley's run)
    By abdicating, he already had acquiesced, and for him to go back on a promise he made-one he supposedly made in good faith to keep the peace in Wakanda-wasn't a good look for him. That said, T'Challa could've still protected Wakanda-either outside Wakanda-or just go incognito. Why draw more attention to yourself by dressing as the Black Panther and declaring himself as that? He clearly has the technology to look like a totally different person, so why not disguise himself as a different vigilante? Perhaps it can be spun that he was going back to the grassroots and building back up trust with the people first, but that hasn't been explained in the book yet. And maybe him donning his BP outfit is him rebelling and being defiant against the authority of the Prime Minister, but that hasn't been explained yet either. Dr. Ewing has hinted that not everything is rosy politically in Wakanda, but she's devoted way more time to other things.

I definitely agree with you about the need to flesh out the political system, how Wakandans feel about things, and how the prime minister could've been used in this run.

Niffleheim

I'm sorry but I don't care about the promises he made and I agree with you that they could have found better ways to tell the stories of him being BP without "breaking those promises". The abdication should have been a bigger thing than it was and honestly it shouldn't have had any effect on him being BP anywhere in/out of wakanda. T'Challa can just be the Pope in Vatican City while the Prime Minister can do her democracy thing.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-26-2024 at 06:33 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    premise doesn't work as well with T'Challa still being Black Panther, until the loose ends from Ridley's run are tied up. Further, why hasn't the prime minister looked into it yet? It's like there should be bigger repercussions for T'Challa going back on his word. How is that going to affect Wakanda's fledgling democracy, with a disgraced king still running around, dispensing justice as he sees fit? More interaction with a worried Shuri is needed too.

I sort of wish that the storyline that was in the Wilson Captain America run could've been used for Ewing's run instead (if not Ridley's).
    You don't get a follow up because NOBODY is going to buy that book.

The folks who yell and complain about the lack of black females as leads in books and ONLY highlight previews like Storm in BED with her man. Don't buy the books.

This book got axed-guess what they will come out and complain-yet don't own a single issue.

And if Marvel mainly the editor did CARE-we would see that story and it would be REFLECTED in other books mainly Avengers.

When Steve Rodgers was removed as Cap America guess what we SAW- US Agent as Cap America.

Same with Tony Stark being out as Ironman we saw Rhodey and Doom in that suit.

Same with everyone in that Batman suit.

There should be another Black Panther running around especially with Namor in jail. The WORST thing you can do as a country is let your enemies know you HERO is gone.

That is a HUGE RED LIGHT to your enemies that you don't have a Black Panther running around.

What is stopping the Skrulls, Red Hand, Serpent Society, MAGA Party, Thanso, Klan, Dire Straits (from Rom), Predator, Aliens or even the Simpsons and animation domination from invading?

Who is going to stop them? Tosin? They did so well against Kull that T'Challa had to save them.

But we can't get that story because NOBODY cares about the wannabe Amanda Waller with a bad dye job or Wakanda without its King.

Astonishing Member

Considering Folasade had recruited Omolola as her personal hatchetwoman with the almost certain intend for her to hunt down T’Challa before he snuck back into Wakanda, I don’t think T’Challa’s the one acting in bad faith.

If we want to talk bad faith; Ramonda and Shuri nigh-gleefully chucking T’Challa and their family’s entire legacy under the bus for reasons would be up there

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Huh well if its possibly cancelled we could take a look at the solicit for issue 10 out on March 20th.

April also lists the second volume for Ewing's run collecting issues 6 to 10. Here's the solicit for that.
    Great, her badly done Batman fan-fic won’t missed & all she showed imo is that she had no business on the book like that last to trash goblins they through on it.

Ultimate Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...ltimate-x-men/

Here is the original listing for issue 10 back in December.

BLACK PANTHER #10
    EVE L. EWING (W) • CHRIS ALLEN (A) • Cover by TAURIN CLARKE
    HEADSHOT VARIANT COVER BY MARK BROOKS
    HEADSHOT SKETCH VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY MARK BROOKS
    A FINAL CONFRONTATION AGAINST THE GRAY WOLF!
    After discarding Baba Nkisu, the Gray Wolf has found a new host: the crime lord's daughter, Aliinya Nkisu! To defeat a supernatural power so great AND to save Aliinya from the Gray Wolf, eater of souls, Black Panther must call upon the aid of allies new and old!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    So between December and last week-this book was looking at issue 11. Now it's not.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...ltimate-x-men/

Here is the original listing for issue 10 back in December.

So between December and last week-this book was looking at issue 11. Now it's not.
    Oooof so if the book is cancelled then that means it was a sudden recent change.

That is unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Did she? She might not have had a choice.

Ridley threw him OUT of Wakanda. You can't undo that is a few issues.
    why can't you? Her new villain Kivuma, could've been this powerful force that absolutely ransacks the new Wakandan government. Kills Omolola, absolutely curb stomps Tosin before putting him out of his misery, completely embarrasses folasade and taker over her body, as well as her Wakandan guard, Shuri comes running to T'Challa, and tells him what happened.

T'Challa, seeing that the Wakandan government is in shambles, comes to their aid, fights his way back into the golden city, defeats the villain, most are returned back to normal, unfortunately folasade is not and dies. The Wakandan people realize that bo matter what, they will ALWAYS need the Black Panther, abd they will ALWAYS need their King.

Redjack wrote a comprehensive and badass one shot that spit in the face of everything Coates was trying to push onto T'Challa. I don't think you need a whole 10 issue redemption story to bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    We will just disagree on this one. There is a reason every writer that has written BP since Hudlin has been- - -basically boring. I believe it is difficult for many writers to write a political intrigue super hero story. I believe writers need to focus on the super science mythological aspect of the BP mythos but it is difficult for comic book writers with little comic book writing experience to pull off successfully. I believe it is easier to write a Spiderman, Daredevil, Batman or Punisher story. Hell I would settle with a good BP story. Look at the current Blade story. It a simple story of Blade trying to defeat a demon he released. It is well written story that is not very complicated. Good writing is hard to do and I believe writing a BP ongoing is a bit more difficult than the average comic book hero.
    Liss did great, despite a ishtty premise, and after Mayberry did doomwar Which actually Started out really good until he webr full Fanboy and decided Doom would "lose" but not really, and handed T'Challa a pyrrhic victory.

After that we got Coates and co, which are boring, but only because how they go about their books was glacial pacing and repeating the same thing issue after issue. Coates and Ridleys stories with some tweaks could actually be really good. Unfortunately they are terrible writers with an agenda and they ruined their books and made T'Challa look bad. Because the thing is, when they wanted to, Coates and Ridley could write a competent T'Challa. We saw it a few times. Until they decide to be garbage again.

It comes down to the person has to give a isht to write T'Challa. The average joe may write a simple BP story, and I don't expect many to write BP like Priest, I'd expect more Hudlin style, but it can be done as long as they are trying to elevate t'challa

"she treated the character ok"

this is where we are at. THis i considered a "positve" of her run... she didn't outright hate tchalla.

THe bar is on the damn floor these days.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I guess that Ironheart run will still be the longest run she's written.

That lasted to 12 issues. Amusingly the final arc was set in Wakanda. The solicit for the final issue features a lot of guest stars.

Ironheart's Wakanda adventure comes to a shocking conclusion. With allies Shuri, Silhouette and Okoye by her side, Riri Williams faces her biggest challenger yet: her own past. And things will never be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    "she treated the character ok"

this is where we are at. THis i considered a "positve" of her run... she didn't outright hate tchalla.

THe bar is on the damn floor these days.
    Yeah, I have to look back a few days ago when someone tweeted that fans should "Let Eve cook" as she was doing something great for T'Challa, the response was "She's had 8 issues to 'cook' and now she has burnt the meat". It seemed appropriate and it appears marvel has thought the same

Astonishing Member

Still, its worrying that Marvel aren’t to trying to spin this to be less worse than it is; like a new writer/McKay having a T’Challa centric Avengers arc/more ultimate/suprise one shot etc

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    [B] why can't you? /B]
    As I pointed out on Black Comic Book Lords last night-the damage done by Ridley SOURED a lot of folks on supporting anything else. And a LOT of folks agreed. Very few finished that run and never came on board for Dr. Ewing. It wasn't because of her but more of a distain for Will Moss the editor.

Someone asked how does he keep his job with two bad runs. He got Redjack the KIB one shot and did Al Eewing's Mighty Avengers run. These last two runs are probably his worst and Ridley's is probably the one that is universally hated.

You can't do that story until you regain the trust of the fanbase so you don't have a book that is DOA when it comes out.
    You got to get a writer the fans and STORE owners will trust.

On that live stream MANY folks suggested Hickman or Al Ewing since Redjack was not going to be it. Who was in that stream and said it was not going to be him.

In my nearly 50 years of comics, I've seen a lot of red flags. When it comes to Black Panther, I'm adding a new one:

"World-building"

Good stories are not about the setting. They are about the characters, and how they grow and change over the course of the plot. Eve Ewing made 3 big errors in planning her run, IMO:

1. She decided to make the story about her pet creation, Birnin T'Chaka, instead of T'challa.
    2. She chose to make "BiTi" a lazy copy of Gotham City, instead of something new.
    3. She chose to make T'Challa more of an observer of events than a participant.

It didn't have to be this way. She could have told this story without marginalizing the title character, or begging comparisons to Batman. But instead, she doubled down, and the readers dropped out, because she either doesn't know or doesn't care about the Eight Deadly Words™:

"I don't care what happens to these people."