Page 15 of 132 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    She aint gonna have enough issues to do all of this.
    Please don't kill the Dream....

If Marvel don't do this, then Marvel, after all those years of tearing down T'Challa - then they don't give a dang for the (616) character - Period!!!

FYI - the only real reason I am on the Marvel train is for T'Challa & Wakanda. That what makes Ridley's and big parts of Coates' runs so off-putting (and just wrong)

As far as storytelling go - manga is better than anything the Big 2 (DC & Marvel) has to offer. For instance, the best universe is One Piece. But no character comes close to a properly, unapologetically written T'Challa.

As I mentioned before, I am being patient for this - I don't mind. But it has to get there.

One more thing - Ewing will get the issue count she needs if we all support the book. And tell others to support it.
    Last edited by Tremain; 01-11-2024 at 04:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don’t see why it can’t take 12 issues. Which isn’t to say it’s easy but writers have radically shifted a character’s status quo in only a handful of issues before. 6 issues to establish the new city, 1-2 new players that help guide T’Challa through the city, and provide a simple, but compelling threat to reestablish T’Challa’s skills and get people to start loving him again. Another 6 issues to expand a new/related threat to the national level, have him reconnect with Shuri and them, and show the government’s failure, leading to T’Challa being fully accepted.

8 issues and people still not knowing this is the actual BP is crazy lol. Marvel’s either lying to writers about how much time they have on the book or the writers think people have much patience after the back to back worst runs in the character’s history. And because it’s obvious why we got the story that led T’Challa to this status quo, the insistence on an organic come up feels hollow and illegitimate to begin with.

BP fans have already been burned by this idea that addressing T’Challa’s failures on panel will lead to him no longer being villainized in his own book. We got a Nation Under Our Feet and then still got The Long Shadow, so Ewing/editorial’s attempt to reconnect T’Challa with his people is absolutely no guarantee he won’t be depicted as out of touch right after. I strongly doubt sales would be this bad if things were set back to the status quo in issue #1. Instead of reacting to the poor stories of worse writers, Ewing would’ve benefitted from a story that left them in the dust with new ideas and a thematic framing that opened the door to other challenges for the character.

It’s been nearly 10 years and we’re still obsessing over this commentary about T’Challa’s disconnection from his people/throne. Like if we’re gonna keep a heavy political tone, why not do a story with environmentalist themes lol. When was the last time T’Challa took a stand against white supremacy? Where is the BP epic touching on neocolonialism in Africa by both Western and Eastern powers?
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-11-2024 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tremain View Post
    Please don't kill the Dream....

If Marvel don't do this, then Marvel, after all those years of tearing down T'Challa - then they don't give a dang for the (616) character - Period!!!

FYI - the only real reason I am on the Marvel train is for T'Challa & Wakanda. That what makes Ridley's and big parts of Coates' runs so off-putting (and just wrong)

As far as storytelling go - manga is better than anything the Big 2 (DC & Marvel) has to offer. For instance, the best universe is One Piece. But no character comes close to a properly, unapologetically written T'Challa.

As I mentioned before, I am being patient for this - I don't mind. But it has to get there.

One more thing - Ewing will get the issue count she needs if we all support the book. And tell others to support it.
    In my opinion they're two totally different beasts that aren't quite comparable, a lot of the great things in American comics couldn't really be replicated in Japanese manga and vice-versa.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In my opinion they're two totally different beasts that aren't quite comparable, a lot of the great things in American comics couldn't really be replicated in Japanese manga and vice-versa.
    This.

There's as much stupid in manga as there is in superhero comics.

Ultimate Member

I'm not sure the book is even in the top 100 anymore.

I can't imagine this run going on for longer.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
    Black Panther #8 preview
    https://aiptcomics.com/2024/01/11/ex...ack-panther-8/

Thankfully, it might not be as bad as some of us had feared. Still, doesn't increase my interest in this book though, but it's something.
    Not bad.

I hope T'Challa "subdues" M without too much fuzz. I was worried about this considering how the X-franchise doesn't really have much room for strong black men.

Interestingly, the writer of the X-men: Evolution (who was white) said that "teen black men" were the most loyal audience for the X-franchise but they weren't really represented in the stories. That's why he created Spike for the cartoon.

The more you know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I don't know the character much, but from what I hear this appears to be in-character for Monet.

A very "Punch first, ask questions from their shattered skull later" type of character.

What happened to Ewing's Ultimates sag was a Goddamn tragedy, constantly sidetracked by events like Civil War 2 and Secret Empire, it never could reach its fully potential because it was constantly mired in annoyed unneeded crossovers and then relaunched.

They couldn't just leave the book alone.
    I was truly excited for Ewings ultimates as the first couple issues really set a great tone.. then yes it was crossovered to oblivion, then he started trying to build his cosmic avengers and it just lost cohesion

Right? She can't even establish who the big bad/ WHO exactly are these crime families. 8 issues in and we still don't even know what their end goal is. At her pace, we wouldn't know till issue 24

What Marvel has done is given us an experiment.

Marvel 616 T'Challa depiction Vs Marvel 6160 (aka Ultimate) T'Challa depiction.

Ultimate Black Panther drops next month. T'Challa is the Black Panther and King. There is a huge external threat (no more Wakanda vs. Wakanda crap). BTW: Ultimate BP has a very good and experienced creative team.

Them sell numbers will be telling....

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not sure the book is even in the top 100 anymore.

I can't imagine this run going on for longer.
    Well the solicits have it up to issue 10, granted its the same Kivu story still going but there's no indication that the book is outright ending.

So hey if Ewing manages to outlast Ridley thats at least an achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I was truly excited for Ewings ultimates as the first couple issues really set a great tone.. then yes it was crossovered to oblivion, then he started trying to build his cosmic avengers and it just lost cohesion
    Its a miracle those books ended up as well as they did despite all the bullshit Al Ewing had to deal with. The man truly is a trooper.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 01-11-2024 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tremain View Post
    What Marvel has done is given us an experiment.

Marvel 616 T'Challa depiction Vs Marvel 6160 (aka Ultimate) T'Challa depiction.

Ultimate Black Panther drops next month. T'Challa is the Black Panther and King. There is a huge external threat (no more Wakanda vs. Wakanda crap). BTW: Ultimate BP has a very good and experienced creative team.

Them sell numbers will be telling....
    The fact that Coates was hemorrhaging sales and Redjacks the KiB BP one shot was a HUGE success and one of the highest selling one shots for that event and showed us THE REAL T'Challa, I'm pretty sure Ult BP is going to blow Eves book out of the water.. pretty clearly

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    The fact that Coates was hemorrhaging sales and Redjacks the KiB BP one shot was a HUGE success and one of the highest selling one shots for that event and showed us THE REAL T'Challa, I'm pretty sure Ult BP is going to blow Eves book out of the water.. pretty clearly
    Way too early to make a comparison and even if we did it’s hardly fair. UBP is part of an initiative driven by Marvel’s top writer with an A-list artist onboard. Regardless of story it’s gonna have a strong first few issues.

How well it keeps up sales is anyone’s guess and will likely depend on how it generates hype, builds on the lore of this new universe beyond the US, and handles T’Challa’s character beyond just doing cool action-heavy ****. I think the conversation the book inspires compared to the stories we’ve gotten in 616 will be telling, because it kinda represents the peak of creative push T’Challa’s gotten since maybe the Priest days. It’s also setting the character to a more popular and idealized status quo.

If it can’t stay above cancellation level despite being good to great then that’s a reflection of overall interest in the character and how well the creative team has done at grabbing ppl. There’s gonna be lots of folks picking up this book that have little to no interest in 616 Panther, this is a prime opportunity to expand the fandom and make the character more marketable.

I don’t expect it to have the legs of Spider-Man or X-Men but if it can carve out a niche as the “surprise hit” of the Ultimate line that would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I don’t see why it can’t take 12 issues. Which isn’t to say it’s easy but writers have radically shifted a character’s status quo in only a handful of issues before. 6 issues to establish the new city, 1-2 new players that help guide T’Challa through the city, and provide a simple, but compelling threat to reestablish T’Challa’s skills and get people to start loving him again. Another 6 issues to expand a new/related threat to the national level, have him reconnect with Shuri and them, and show the government’s failure, leading to T’Challa being fully accepted.

8 issues and people still not knowing this is the actual BP is crazy lol. Marvel’s either lying to writers about how much time they have on the book or the writers think people have much patience after the back to back worst runs in the character’s history. And because it’s obvious why we got the story that led T’Challa to this status quo, the insistence on an organic come up feels hollow and illegitimate to begin with.

BP fans have already been burned by this idea that addressing T’Challa’s failures on panel will lead to him no longer being villainized in his own book. We got a Nation Under Our Feet and then still got The Long Shadow, so Ewing/editorial’s attempt to reconnect T’Challa with his people is absolutely no guarantee he won’t be depicted as out of touch right after. I strongly doubt sales would be this bad if things were set back to the status quo in issue #1. Instead of reacting to the poor stories of worse writers, Ewing would’ve benefitted from a story that left them in the dust with new ideas and a thematic framing that opened the door to other challenges for the character.

It’s been nearly 10 years and we’re still obsessing over this commentary about T’Challa’s disconnection from his people/throne. Like if we’re gonna keep a heavy political tone, why not do a story with environmentalist themes lol. When was the last time T’Challa took a stand against white supremacy? Where is the BP epic touching on neocolonialism in Africa by both Western and Eastern powers?
    Eve is only held back by her lack of experience as a Comics writer in my opinion. I think she's actually fairly decent at it but way too inexperienced to have been put on this book in this situation. It was always a poor choice to try to continue Ridley's narrative for more than one or two issues after it was soundly rejected and received heavily mixed reaction from fanbase under her comics mentor Coates. Then other issues like poor pacing (a sales killer all its own). Beisa could have waited to have her story told while the title hero cleaned up his quickly to solidify and reasure Panther fans.

Will Moss put her in a bad spot.
    Last edited by Ekie; 01-11-2024 at 09:30 PM.

it was in Ultimates

Yeah, I remember reading and feeling so conflicted. Why could he not do the same thing with Bast? Lol, why the African God gotta be a deadbeat letting other gods handle their kids business. However, it is still one of the most OP moments for T'Challa.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Not bad.

I hope T'Challa "subdues" M without too much fuzz. I was worried about this considering how the X-franchise doesn't really have much room for strong black men.

Interestingly, the writer of the X-men: Evolution (who was white) said that "teen black men" were the most loyal audience for the X-franchise but they weren't really represented in the stories. That's why he created Spike for the cartoon.

The more you know.....
    I wonder if Evolution could've found a way to work Bishop in as a teenager...