Page 10 of 133 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Ridley I'm not sure about, but Coates...well, when Between the world and me came out, he got raked over the coals as a misogynist for centering black men, even though he said he wrote the book specifically for his son and a friend who lost his life due to police brutality. Ever since he's been on a quest to "subvert black male machismo" which is partly why his run on BP turned out the way it did. Even though he wanted BP to also be some 10 y.o.'s Spider-Man. Kids like Spider-Man cause he makes corny jokes and beats up bad guys. T'Challa doesn't really quip, but he's super smart, confident, and also beats up bad guys, not some dude who self loathes in soliloquies and laments his marriage going south.
    I mean, it's comics, power fantasy, if he is so swayed by critics that he then does a complete turn to absolutely isht on black men, then he had absolutely no business writing for the biggest, most popular, and most important black male character in comics. He should've passed on it an let RJ or Walker take the reigns. Because what he did was worse a

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    If it was any other hero, this is exactly what would happen.

But T'challa is never allowed the redemption part of the deconstruction.

T'challa lost the throne and the title in Deadliest of the Species.

When did he get it back? Like 10 years later off panel because Hickman killed Shuri.

Story telling for T'challa has been lacking in basic stuff for over a decade because they keep hiring writers that don't even like the dude.

I still think it is a weird self hate thing from these writers. This other big name characters get writers that dreamed of writing the character adn teh power fantasy behind it... yet BP gets self hating writers who don't even care for the character. Just bonkers
    Well Ewing has written T’Challa as competent so far so things might change now that the plot is finally getting interesting. T’Challas last two writers were self hating Black men (more so Ridley) so who knows? Maybe a Black woman will finally get him where he needs to be in 616. Thank goodness Hill is about as tired of deconstruction as the rest of us are.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Well Ewing has written T’Challa as competent so far so things might change now that the plot is finally getting interesting. T’Challas last two writers were self hating Black men (more so Ridley) so who knows? Maybe a Black woman will finally get him where he needs to be in 616. Thank goodness Hill is about as tired of deconstruction as the rest of us are.
    I mean, I don't think Ewing is doing right with T'Challa either. He is more competent yes, but he is going against fodder. He was getting worked by dethlok, dude had taken cosmic threats, Namor, Hulk, etc. and Dethlok is giving him problems? Nah, she is only marginally better

On a non T’Challa specific note, Deniz Camp will be writing a new Ultimates series. I do remember seeing a silhouette of Ult T’Challa on the cover for what I am assuming featured the characters that will make up the team. Thor, Cap, IM, Spider-Man and there was one silhouette I couldn’t make out but I’m assuming it’s Doom since I think it was him fighting with Cap and Iron Man in the preview. I’m unfamiliar with Camp’s work but I think he wrote some X titles before. I’m just hoping for stuff on par with what Ewing gave us in both his Ultimates series

Quote Originally Posted by Tremain View Post
    Hey Fellow Wakandans,
    I stepped away from actually reading the comics for a few years. Making my way back. I did peek in on Black Panther - always, I was totally bummed out by Ridley's BP run (I just completed all his issues for myself). IMHO, I think it was completely disrespectful to Wakanda and BP. I am just starting Ewing's run. I don't know if I can trust it yet. But I will give it an honest go. Between us - I prefer BP as King and two steps ahead of enemies and 3 steps ahead of friends.

I am also finishing up Aaron's Avengers run, before I start the latest Avengers series (because I hear BP is in it)

But what really brought me back - I recently came across the Ultimate Black Panther announcement!!!

I'm familiar with Hill from back on Postal and Michael Cray. And I recently picked up his BP one-shot and Blade series. I am so freak-in excited and hopeful. I think BP will be in good hands with Hill - I really hope so.

Glad Marvel - is rebooting Ultimate Universe - it gives Hill a 'clean' slate - away from that Coates and Ridley nonsense.

And even the stuff with Ewing - has T'Challa without a crown. Why don't people get it? The Kingship is what separates T'Challa from Batman, Captain America, etc. When Priest and Hudlin wrote him - they embraced the monarchy and respected it. I think Hill will follow that path (at least I really so).

Long Live The King.....
    Welcome!
    Optimistic times for sure

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I mean, I don't think Ewing is doing right with T'Challa either. He is more competent yes, but he is going against fodder. He was getting worked by dethlok, dude had taken cosmic threats, Namor, Hulk, etc. and Dethlok is giving him problems? Nah, she is only marginally better
    Dethklok is the only named character he's fought at the moment. And the actual encounter turned out fairly underwhelming and quickly resolved despite being built up for a couple issues. Despite the crime family setting the book hasn't been taking advantage of that by having the gangsters hiring supervillains or other special hired help to fight BP.

As noted the book is overtly serialized. Compared to the current Moon Knight run which is able to better balance an ongoing storyline while having a specific problem/threat for each issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Now that I think about it, isn't Killmonger also currently dead?

There's rights issues with characters like the Supremacists?
    IIRC Gillis has rights issues with Marvel that’s prevented some of the concepts from his 80s mini series from being used too heavily. Maybe it’s not a thing anymore but I think any original characters he created might have restrictions, including characters like Malaika.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Dethklok is the only named character he's fought at the moment. And the actual encounter turned out fairly underwhelming and quickly resolved despite being built up for a couple issues. Despite the crime family setting the book hasn't been taking advantage of that by having the gangsters hiring supervillains or other special hired help to fight BP.

As noted the book is overtly serialized. Compared to the current Moon Knight run which is able to better balance an ongoing storyline while having a specific problem/threat for each issue.
    Is anyone surprised by this? Ewing called Coates her mentor and he did the same stuff. Her biggest book was a mediocre Ironheart run that was good enough to keep the character out of limbo but indicates nothing about her ability to do a character like T’Challa. Poor action and abysmal pacing was to be expected, I’m surprised y’all are still reading lol.

On a happier note, Hill confirmed his Ultimate BP is going to be an ongoing so there’s gonna be at least one great BP book on the shelves if we’re lucky. And it probably won’t be long before he joins the new Ultimates roster. T’Challa in 616 is basically ruined and only exists in Mackay’s Avengers but the real restoration of the character will take place in the Ultimates line. I’m hyped to see how that plays out because the Dune influence seems very prominent with the hints of prophecy about T’Challa (likely seeded by the Maker when creating this new universe.)
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-05-2024 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    IIRC Gillis has rights issues with Marvel that’s prevented some of the concepts from his 80s mini series from being used too heavily. Maybe it’s not a thing anymore but I think any original characters he created might have restrictions, including characters like Malaika.

Is anyone surprised by this? Ewing called Coates her mentor and he did the same stuff. Her biggest book was a mediocre Ironheart run that was good enough to keep the character out of limbo but indicates nothing about her ability to do a character like T’Challa. Poor action and abysmal pacing was to be expected, I’m surprised y’all are still reading lol.

On a happier note, Hill confirmed his Ultimate BP is going to be an ongoing so there’s gonna be at least one great BP book on the shelves if we’re lucky. And it probably won’t be long before he joins the new Ultimates roster. T’Challa in 616 is basically ruined and only exists in Mackay’s Avengers but the real restoration of the character will take place in the Ultimates line. I’m hyped to see how that plays out because the Dune influence seems very prominent with the hints of prophecy about T’Challa (likely seeded by the Maker when creating this new universe.)
    I'm very curious to know what news RJ has. It makes me excited and hopeful. We just need one solid writer on the 616 and I feel T'Challa will truly be out of the darkness

I'm very curious to know what news RJ has. It makes me excited and hopeful. We just need one solid writer on the 616 and I feel T'Challa will truly be out of the darkness
    I’m also interested in what RJ has in store. The biggest dream for me is that he’s the head writer on the upcoming BP game from EA. Now THAT is what will truly get us out of the dark age and it’ll be more than influential to counteract whatever the MCU does. Oh and speaking of the MCU, it seems that New Rockstars has changed their mind and now thinks that T’Challa should be recast.

https://x.com/emansreviews/status/17...y3JxQLlnwMX1SA
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I’m also interested in what RJ has in store. The biggest dream for me is that he’s the head writer on the upcoming BP game from EA. Now THAT is what will truly get us out of the dark age and it’ll be more than influential to counteract whatever the MCU does. Oh and speaking of the MCU, it seems that New Rockstars has changed their mind and now thinks that T’Challa should be recast.

https://x.com/emansreviews/status/17...y3JxQLlnwMX1SA
    Put RJ on the game, Ewing, Hickman or Salamed on the 616 maaaaybe Walker? But basically put writers who are actually going to focus on uplifting T'Challa to the next level

As for new Rockstars, it's always funny how these dudes will say whatever then change their tunes, but at the very least they should acknowledge it that they changed their minds

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

Maker stole T'Challa's ship design for surviving the end of the multiverse. He sure better seed some phrophacy of a real version of T'Challa showing up. It's great that Hickman thinks so highly of the character and is sort of overseeing this universe
    Last edited by Ekie; 01-06-2024 at 01:11 PM.

Put RJ on the game, Ewing, Hickman or Salamed on the 616 maaaaybe Walker? But basically put writers who are actually going to focus on uplifting T'Challa to the next level

As for new Rockstars, it's always funny how these dudes will say whatever then change their tunes, but at the very least they should acknowledge it that they changed their minds
    RedJack on the video game is the salvation we deserve.
    A great game is most important imo

Can you imagine how tired of Princess Zanda's bull* we'd be by the time the story ended.
    Last edited by Ekie; 01-06-2024 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    RedJack on the video game is the salvation we deserve.
    A great game is most important imo

Can you imagine how tired of Princess Zanda's bull* we'd be by the time the story ended.
    Man RJs Zanda was probably hands down the best reimagining of all of his supporting characters. She seemed a legit threaten with potential for redemption and a cool powerset

Man RJs Zanda was probably hands down the best reimagining of all of his supporting characters. She seemed a legit threaten with potential for redemption and a cool powerset
    I liked his Hunter and Shuri too. My favorite versions of all three of those characters. Most sellable version of Hunter for sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    I liked his Hunter and Shuri too. My favorite versions of all three of those characters. Most sellable version of Hunter for sure.
    Hunter isn’t going to be a truly sellable character as long as he’s white tbh. His race has kept him from being a much bigger player in BP lore than his narrative and uniqueness would merit because black writers generally don’t want to center him or his feelings of alienation in a story about BP. And there’s a loud enough subset of black fans that would complain about a white dude taking up space in Marvel’s biggest and blackest franchise.

And with trolls and online racists increasingly latching onto the character as part of the anti-race swapping debate I see him being continually ignored in BP media. Because you know the second he appears in a major BP comic or the video game there’s gonna be hella fan art and disproportionate discussion about him being Black Panther.

If/when Marvel puts together another big budget BP project (be it rebooted movies, games, etc.) Marvel is gonna need to make him an African albino instead of European to sidestep the issue. It keeps the white motif he’s known for and preserves his alienation narrative because he’s still not ethnically Wakandan. It also sheds light on the very real issues Africans with albinism and vitiligo face on the continent, albeit not as a direct commentary. Hunter’s a character with massive potential as the Red Hood of the BP franchise but as long as he’s T’Challa’s white older brother he’s always gonna be an awkward fit as a major supporting character. Redjack handled him about as well as he could be handled though while keeping it kid-friendly.
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-06-2024 at 03:46 PM.