Page 92 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1959
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    So Eve L. Ewing goes from "killed her BP run in less than a year" to "writing a core X-book".

Talk about failing upwards...
    Congrats to Dr. Ewing. I'm not mad at her. Lots of other creators have failed upwards, as you say. Perhaps BP just wasn't the right fit, at the right time, for Ewing. Ewing was saddled with a bad setup from Ridley. Granted, she didn't do great with what she was given, but still, she was behind the ball right off.

Perhaps, her X-Men run will give her the space to lay out the kind of long running story that she seems more suited for. From what I read of her Photon miniseries and her BP run thus far, it seems it takes Ewing a while to get going. And an X-Men book might last long enough to give her that time.

So Eve L. Ewing goes from "killed her BP run in less than a year" to "writing a core X-book".

It's almost like they're not hiring on merit.
    That said, she was never put in a position to succeed on Panther coming in at the time she did with the skill set she has. Maybe this is them saying sorry.

I'm surprised she didn't get the Storm book though. She was gushing at the idea of writing a storm solo during her introductory black panther interview (at the end of which she 'teased' that her run might not even be T'Challa as Panther).
    Last edited by Ekie; 03-14-2024 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    Congrats to Dr. Ewing. I'm not mad at her. Lots of other creators have failed upwards, as you say. Perhaps BP just wasn't the right fit, at the right time, for Ewing. Ewing was saddled with a bad setup from Ridley. Granted, she didn't do great with what she was given, but still, she was behind the ball right off.
    Nothing in the status quo that Ridley left required (or even suggested) stranding T'Challa in Wakandan Chicago (Hey! Her X-book is in Chicago too! What are the odds!) doing warmed-over Batman plots. She doesn't get a pass for that. Exiling him from Wakanda gave her the whole world to play with... and her solution was for him to sneak back into the country to reveal yet another corner that he'd somehow allowed to fall prey to gangs (despite it being named after the father he respected above all others).

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    I'm surprised she didn't get the Storm book though. She was gushing at the idea of writing a storm solo during her introductory black panther interview (at the end of which she 'teased' that her run might not even be T'Challa as Panther).
    It would not surprise me if the OTHER Ewing (Al) got the Storm book. He's been doing stealth Storm solos since S.W.O.R.D.

(I also heard a rumor that he's taking over Doctor Strange, though.)

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I am worried if Ewing can transition well to writing Exceptional X-Men, since it is a team book and those can be trickier than solos.

Hopefully she can take what went wrong with BP and use it to improve her writing.

It would not surprise me if the OTHER Ewing (Al) got the Storm book. He's been doing stealth Storm solos since S.W.O.R.D.

Huh I can buy that Doc Strange rumor, since Jed Mackay who's announced to be writing X-Men is already writing Avengers, Moon Knight, and Dr Strange. Thats a lot on his plate.

Ultimate Member

Lol....Eve Ewing moves from a low selling BP title to a flagship Marvel title.

Good for her I guess.
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-14-2024 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Paul was in a loveless pure political marriage with Irulan, and she went nuts over it and tried to poison Chani out of jealousy in Dune Messiah. Clear parallel between that and T’Challa’s political marriage to Okoye in contrast with his love at first sight relationship with Storm (although he seem to have some measure of love or respect for Okoye unlike Paul/Irulan).
    It was only messy for her though lol.

HE was clear from the beginning whatsup

and Irulan was poisoning to stop an heir being born.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Now I’m seeing predictions that the lady made of light could be a 6160 version of Nakia.
    I think this is just some fans not wanting storm.

I mean... we already have storm in the book and storm has been connected to the mythos for awhile now AND she is bringing killmonger.

Seems like a lot of set up to just go "lol its nakia!"
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Funny you mention it. My thing you had Victor Le Salle writing X-Men Adjacent book, and Bryan Hill, Cody Ziglar doing great work on good books and they skip over them to give her a core X-Men book. I don't think a brotha has ever written one of their core books. Odd how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Funny you mention it. My thing you had Victor Le Salle writing X-Men Adjacent book, and Bryan Hill, Cody Ziglar doing great work on good books and they skip over them to give her a core X-Men book. I don't think a brotha has ever written one of their core books. Odd how that works.
    Well, considering how the X-Men in universe and fandom don't seem to be particularly fond of black men, it makes sense that editorial isn't either. Eve's book is also set in chicago, she can't help herself I suppose. At least she has the excuse of sending Kate back home.

Uh what??? This is exactly like Coates, how he was the architect to the most damning BP era and was rewarded by getting a Cap book. Yet we got dudes like RJ get passed left and right.
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 03-15-2024 at 07:31 AM.

Nothing in the status quo that Ridley left required (or even suggested) stranding T'Challa in Wakandan Chicago (Hey! Her X-book is in Chicago too! What are the odds!) doing warmed-over Batman plots. She doesn't get a pass for that. Exiling him from Wakanda gave her the whole world to play with... and her solution was for him to sneak back into the country to reveal yet another corner that he'd somehow allowed to fall prey to gangs (despite it being named after the father he respected above all others).

Yeah Eves whole premise was stupid as hell. It literally made no sense and hasn't done anything noteworthy in the story or value added to T'Challa or the mythos. Just more meandering BS. I hope someone good gets in the main title

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yeah Eves whole premise was stupid as hell. It literally made no sense and hasn't done anything noteworthy in the story or value added to T'Challa or the mythos. Just more meandering BS. I hope someone good gets in the main title
    I didn't care for Ewing's premise either. It reminded me of what Liss had to work with, however, I thought Liss ultimately did a better job despite the creative handcuffs put on him. I do think Ewing has a knack for worldbuilding, Besia isn't a bad character (though this story should've been hers instead of T'Challa's) and has a cool look, and the crime families, with proper fleshing out, could work, but perhaps not for a major Black Panther storyline. If they had put this story in a city in Mohannda it would've perhaps made more sense. The Gray Wolf demon also looked cool, though after reading Coates's run, it felt like a retread of The Adversary. And his motivation felt like it came straight from Ridley's Jhai.

I thought Ewing didn't seem to have a problem depicting T'Challa as able to physically handle himself, she also didn't gush over the prime minister and the new democracy (at the expense of T'Challa). Ewing didn't seem to dislike T'Challa like Ridley did and wasn't so hung up on him ruminating and philosophizing as much as Coates. For me, it's just the premise wasn't great, too many characters were underdeveloped, and the pacing was glacial. I thought the artwork was mostly good, and I liked the costume design for Ewing's Panther (even though I also felt it was a little too busy). And I never really was able to understand why T'Challa would wear a Panther costume if he wasn't supposed to be in Wakanda anymore. For real world, book selling purposes, there needed to be a Black Panther, but it didn't jibe with the premise. T'Challa, if he stayed in Wakanda at all, should've adopted a new costumed identity. That said, Ewing could've resolved that in a few issues and restored Black Panther officially, if not back on the throne, then in some other way, instead of having him sneaking around rooftops for nine issues now.

But as DigiCom was saying, Ridley's story left Ewing with a whole world to play with, but she chose to make her story smaller rather than larger. Perhaps there's something of a siren song when it comes to Wakanda as a concept for some folks. Though paradoxically, it feels to me that some of the people drawn or inspired by the idea of Wakanda also like deconstructing it because perhaps they just can't accept that idea in their minds.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 03-15-2024 at 08:59 AM.

Marvel still deciding not to give redjack the main book is dumb and thats me being nice. Ish is tiring

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    I didn't care for Ewing's premise either. It reminded me of what Liss had to work with, however, I thought Liss ultimately did a better job despite the creative handcuffs put on him. I do think Ewing has a knack for worldbuilding, Besia isn't a bad character (though this story should've been hers instead of T'Challa's) and has a cool look, and the crime families, with proper fleshing out, could work, but perhaps not for a major Black Panther storyline. If they had put this story in a city in Mohannda it would've perhaps made more sense. The Gray Wolf demon also looked cool, though after reading Coates's run, it felt like a retread of The Adversary. And his motivation felt like it came straight from Ridley's Jhai.

I thought Ewing didn't seem to have a problem depicting T'Challa as able to physically handle himself, she also didn't gush over the prime minister and the new democracy (at the expense of T'Challa). Ewing didn't seem to dislike T'Challa like Ridley did and wasn't so hung up on him ruminating and philosophizing as much as Coates. For me, it's just the premise wasn't great, too many characters were underdeveloped, and the pacing was glacial. I thought the artwork was mostly good, and I liked the costume design for Ewing's Panther (even though I also felt it was a little too busy). And I never really was able to understand why T'Challa would wear a Panther costume if he wasn't supposed to be in Wakanda anymore. For real world, book selling purposes, there needed to be a Black Panther, but it didn't jibe with the premise. T'Challa, if he stayed in Wakanda at all, should've adopted a new costumed identity. That said, Ewing could've resolved that in a few issues and restored Black Panther officially, if not back on the throne, then in some other way, instead of having him sneaking around rooftops for nine issues now.

But as DigiCom was saying, Ridley's story left Ewing with a whole world to play with, but she chose to make her story smaller rather than larger. Perhaps there's something of a siren song when it comes to Wakanda as a concept for some folks. Though paradoxically, it feels to me that some of the people drawn or inspired by the idea of Wakanda also like deconstructing it because perhaps they just can't accept that idea in their minds.
    It's as you said, Ewing willingly handcuffed herself and then wrote a ishtty premise that made little sense story or location wise for what she was trying to do. This stuff reads like someone who doesn't actually care about T'Challa and hos franchise, they are only interested in Wakanda z but even then it's more so that they are interested in a nation that is full of modern black folks. Then they go ahead and decide to input RL Black dysfunction onto WK so they can tell their agenda.

Let's be real, Coates, Ridley and Ewing All have a specific idea they wanted to push and didn't care how they got to their end as long as they got to tell it. Hence why none of the women in Coates or Ridleys books are held accountable for any of their actions or how T'Challa has to be taught a lesson by insert pet character in how to not resent or ignore his people, and how to value himself as more than just a king. All of which he already did or didn't do already.

All 3 want to get form A to Z and none of them know how to navigate B through Y

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I am worried if Ewing can transition well to writing Exceptional X-Men, since it is a team book and those can be trickier than solos.

Hopefully she can take what went wrong with BP and use it to improve her writing.
    She did write Champions.