Page 6 of 131 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Now that I think about it, isn't Killmonger also currently dead?

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Marvel views the Coates run as the foundation for modern BP and at most pays lip service to anything that came before. The pre-Coates era of BP is viewed as old-fashioned at best and problematic at worst by both parts of Marvel editorial and the “newer” BP fandom so writers have an aversion to mining it for new stories. They can’t look past the loincloths Wakandan used to wear and awkward stuff like the OG Dora Milaje so the entire pre-Coates era is kinda put on the shelf for fear of validating the old material or sparking controversy by digging up an old story. Rather than use the old stuff as the basis for new stories Marvel would rather invest in entirely original content with a heavier emphasis on worldbuilding and writers’ OCs.

Also, I think because Priest has been very outspoken about his distaste for Marvel’s mistreatment of him, there may be an active attempt to avoid using his run as a big reference point for modern BP stories. And then there’s rights issues that prevent stuff like the Supremacists from coming back.
    There's rights issues with characters like the Supremacists?

Its like I said in the 2023 thread, None of these new writers can write short 3-6 issue stories, or one shots for that matter. They have these long drawn out stories that lack the material to go as long as they do but they refuse to tell a shorter story with what they have so it flounders and people lose interest because very little or in some cases nothing happens at all to push the plot.

Unlike Manga which operates on weekly or bi monthly issues that can afford to pivot, or in the rare cases of monthly Mangas that are Giant sized to allow time to pivot within the story, superhero comics don't do that so we may end up waiting 2-3 months before we get back on track due to the nature and speed that these drop.

There's a reason RJ and Hills one shots are so well received as they were, because they can tell a damn story with a clear beginning, middle, and end

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Its like I said in the 2023 thread, None of these new writers can write short 3-6 issue stories, or one shots for that matter. They have these long drawn out stories that lack the material to go as long as they do but they refuse to tell a shorter story with what they have so it flounders and people lose interest because very little or in some cases nothing happens at all to push the plot.

Unlike Manga which operates on weekly or bi monthly issues that can afford to pivot, or in the rare cases of monthly Mangas that are Giant sized to allow time to pivot within the story, superhero comics don't do that so we may end up waiting 2-3 months before we get back on track due to the nature and speed that these drop.

There's a reason RJ and Hills one shots are so well received as they were, because they can tell a damn story with a clear beginning, middle, and end
    Exactly.

It's been mentioned before but sometimes it feels as if the stories in these comics are at odds with the format.

Superhero comics come out once a month (except for a few exceptions) and are pretty expensive. The way some comics are being written simply pushes one into trade waiting. In more extreme cases, sometimes we wait for multiple trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Now that I think about it, isn't Killmonger also currently dead?
    I think all of T'Challa's big Rogues are dead. Klaw, Killmonger, the original M'Baku...

I think Achebe might still be alive? I don't think Hunter died at the end of that Cap event.

All of T’Challa’s big 3 villains are currently dead with M’Baku being dead since 2008. The last time a classic BP villain was used was Jakarra in Rise and before that J Robert Cole’s issue of Nendi’s mini where he used Baron Macabre

After the arc with Khonshu and Ra I’m hoping to see revamped classic villains especially Achebe, Solomon Prey, and Madam Slay. Achebe can be an occultist or something.
    Last edited by KingNomarch; 01-02-2024 at 07:53 PM.

So-

Achebe
    Klaw
    Killmonger
    M'Baku

The old rogues gallery that are memorable for Tchalla.

So we could use three new people to up the roster.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Marvel views the Coates run as the foundation for modern BP and at most pays lip service to anything that came before. The pre-Coates era of BP is viewed as old-fashioned at best and problematic at worst by both parts of Marvel editorial and the “newer” BP fandom so writers have an aversion to mining it for new stories. They can’t look past the loincloths Wakandan used to wear and awkward stuff like the OG Dora Milaje so the entire pre-Coates era is kinda put on the shelf for fear of validating the old material or sparking controversy by digging up an old story. Rather than use the old stuff as the basis for new stories Marvel would rather invest in entirely original content with a heavier emphasis on worldbuilding and writers’ OCs.
    Now that I think about it, this is probably also why the new villains all kinda suck.

Like the current crop of writers post Coates are not necessarily writing superhero comics, but more sociopolitical science-fantasy stories that happen to star a superhero. So they lack that sort of comic book-ness of previous characters. No ridiculous designs or punny names, its all in a relative groundedness like a superhero movie that doesn't avoids calling its characters by its superhero names.

Its going from names like Baron Macabre, Solomon Prey, Vlad the Impaler, to just Tetu, Zenzi, Jhai.

Hell the main antagonist of the Intergalactic arc who is named after Killmonger is only referred to as just Emperor N'Jadaka.

Kinda interesting too that when Coates used Erik, he was easily the strongest version of killmonger we had ever seen and... He was straight up garbage. The fight was so underwhelming and pathetic, weakest battle between the two characters despite them fighting with a higher powerset.

Hill (and hopefully RJ) need to save T'Challa from this mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Kinda interesting too that when Coates used Erik, he was easily the strongest version of killmonger we had ever seen and... He was straight up garbage. The fight was so underwhelming and pathetic, weakest battle between the two characters despite them fighting with a higher powerset.

Hill (and hopefully RJ) need to save T'Challa from this mediocrity
    One more month until things can finally course correct. Just one more.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

I don't really care if writers use old or new villains just... make them not suck.

A book has two jobs right... build the threat aka villain and show how it affects the hero and how he (eventually) overcomes right? THat is the super hero comics 101.

Yet we keep getting writers who have absolutely failed building a villain. Even the coates lovers gotta admit his villains were... wanting at best. I already forgot the name of the villain in RIdleys terible run (its tchalla lol but yeah). And Ewing is doing the same dumb thing apparently.

These writesr are too busy world buidling or putting in social **** or building side charactesr that the fail at the two main things.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't really care if writers use old or new villains just... make them not suck.

A book has two jobs right... build the threat aka villain and show how it affects the hero and how he (eventually) overcomes right? THat is the super hero comics 101.

Yet we keep getting writers who have absolutely failed building a villain. Even the coates lovers gotta admit his villains were... wanting at best. I already forgot the name of the villain in RIdleys terible run (its tchalla lol but yeah). And Ewing is doing the same dumb thing apparently.

These writesr are too busy world buidling or putting in social **** or building side charactesr that the fail at the two main things.
    I think one of the issues-for Coates and Ridley-is that T'Challa (as an emblem for straight Black males) was the real villain. They couldn't conceive of anything worse than him, and didn't try all that hard to. (To be fair, I only read a smidgen of Coates, but I basically read all of Ridley, and the closest he came were the Colonialist, who was too Snidley Whiplash, Akili who was a brutish flunky, and Jhai, who was too much like the MCU Killmonger, yet still devoted to T'Challa and simply wanted T'Challa to be his "best" self).

It really seems like the writers are trying too hard to make their mark instead of just writing a good book. Coates used Black Panther to cut his teeth in the entertainment world. (Is he still writing that superman movie or did Gunn put the kibosh on that?) Ridley was more obsessed with deconstruction and subversion than Rian Johnson and Ewing is just writing her Batman pitch. All while humiliating him, constantly having him be beaten and humbled, and reminding him that annulling the marriage with Storm is an unforgivable sin.

And the worst part is, out of all 3 Coates, Ridley, and Ewing, All of their world building is just trash... Like it makes T'Challa and Wakanda look even shittier instead of excellent, and takes the worst stereotypes of Africa and puts it on Wakanda.

So they can't write good villains or satisfying victories, AND they can't even world build correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    It really seems like the writers are trying too hard to make their mark instead of just writing a good book. Coates used Black Panther to cut his teeth in the entertainment world. (Is he still writing that superman movie or did Gunn put the kibosh on that?) Ridley was more obsessed with deconstruction and subversion than Rian Johnson and Ewing is just writing her Batman pitch. All while humiliating him, constantly having him be beaten and humbled, and reminding him that annulling the marriage with Storm is an unforgivable sin.
    At least Ewing isn't guilty of that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least Ewing isn't guilty of that.
    At least not yet.