Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Spectacular was ironically more like XTAS (self-contained, tight writing, storylines adapted from the comics, etc.) than SMTAS was.

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, it's more exciting than Friendly Neighborhood, which looks like an MCU-ified version of the two Disney shows. Christopher Daniel-Barnes is great, and generally they do a good job nailing Spidey's voice.

But it also has a lot of subpar writing. I mean, X-Men TAS always felt like a show that could match BTAS if they ever had the same budget (and based on the receptions to X-Men '97, we were right about that). I don't know if the same can be said og John Semper's Spidey, even though it's overall still good. That and I'm not a fan of the art style. XTAS nicely adapted Jim Lee's style, while Spider-Man '94 has a lot overly buff men and a Peter that looks like Nicholas Hammond with golf shirt colors you only find at a doctor's office, lol. Oh, that and apparently they had no plans to every marry Peter and MJ for good in the show... and I'm not sure where else you can go if you don't do that in a Season 6.

Anyways, if it happens, I'll happily watch it. I just think Marvel can do even better. Kinda like how DC has had other good-to-great shows with Batman outside of BTAS.
    I think the first two episodes of X-men 97 have a bit more maturity to them than X-Men TAS, and they're adapting source material that rarely makes it to adaptations (because all of the "classics" like the Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Weapon X, etc. were already handled in the original series.) They also hired a completely new showrunner/lead writer for X-men 97.

If they took a similar approach with a revival of Spider-man TAS, I'd totally be on board. Would love to see a season that adaptated elements of JMD's KLH, Spectacular run, or JMS Spider-man. And who knows, with Ultimate being as popular as it is now and with X-men 97 focusing on the Jean and Scott marriage, perhaps Marvel would be interested in adapting a married Spider-Man as well. It would also help differentiate that series from the MCU Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man show (which would likely be marketed to a younger audience than the 90s revivals.)

I don't think we'd ever see the marriage era in a revived Spectacular unless they did a significant time skip.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 03-25-2024 at 08:09 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Spectacular was ironically more like XTAS (self-contained, tight writing, storylines adapted from the comics, etc.) than SMTAS was.

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, it's more exciting than Friendly Neighborhood, which looks like an MCU-ified version of the two Disney shows. Christopher Daniel-Barnes is great, and generally they do a good job nailing Spidey's voice.

But it also has a lot of subpar writing. I mean, X-Men TAS always felt like a show that could match BTAS if they ever had the same budget (and based on the receptions to X-Men '97, we were right about that). I don't know if the same can be said og John Semper's Spidey, even though it's overall still good. That and I'm not a fan of the art style. XTAS nicely adapted Jim Lee's style, while Spider-Man '94 has a lot overly buff men and a Peter that looks like Nicholas Hammond with golf shirt colors you only find at a doctor's office, lol. Oh, that and apparently they had no plans to every marry Peter and MJ for good in the show... and I'm not sure where else you can go if you don't do that in a Season 6.

Anyways, if it happens, I'll happily watch it. I just think Marvel can do even better. Kinda like how DC has had other good-to-great shows with Batman outside of BTAS.
    I have tried to rewatch Spider-Man:TAS and it I am sorry, but it is just not very good. The pacing at times is ridiculous. The acting is so-so. Rewatching X-Men:TAS and while I found a few issues with the show, it really held up well. A new Spider-Man show with good writers that is actually given a chance and not dumped because it can't sell enough toys is the real answer. That is what I would watch anyway.

if they do bring back TAS hopefully they will adapt Sandman not sure why they never tried him
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    if they do bring back TAS hopefully they will adapt Sandman not sure why they never tried him
    They didn't have the rights to Sandman back then due to James Cameron wanting to use him for his Spider-Man movie...which ended up never getting made.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    They didn't have the rights to Sandman back then due to James Cameron wanting to use him for his Spider-Man movie...which ended up never getting made.
    oh I never knew that but out of all the villain options for a spider-man film why would he pick sandman

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

oh I never knew that but out of all the villain options for a spider-man film why would he pick sandman
    Probably to complement Electro's powers in the film, as he was also slated to be in the movie, and hence why the version of Electro in TAS was Rhienholdt Schmidt instead of Max Dillon. Although Cameron's Sandman and Electro would have been different people with Sandman being known only as Boyd while Electro was Carlton Strand instead of Max Dillon.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 03-26-2024 at 08:25 AM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Probably to complement Electro's powers in the film, as he was also slated to be in the movie, and hence why the version of Electro in TAS was Rhienholdt Schmidt instead of Max Dillon. Although Cameron's Sandman and Electro would have been different people with Sandman being known only as Boyd while Electro was Carlton Strand instead of Max Dillon.
    The great thing about TAS Electro was that he actually made good on the kind of threat someone with his powers ought to be to the world at large. As Nick Fury put it near the end of that episode, "He brought down S.H.I.E.L.D. with only a gesture."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I think the first two episodes of X-men 97 have a bit more maturity to them than X-Men TAS, and they're adapting source material that rarely makes it to adaptations (because all of the "classics" like the Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Weapon X, etc. were already handled in the original series.) They also hired a completely new showrunner/lead writer for X-men 97.

If they took a similar approach with a revival of Spider-man TAS, I'd totally be on board. Would love to see a season that adaptated elements of JMD's KLH, Spectacular run, or JMS Spider-man. And who knows, with Ultimate being as popular as it is now and with X-men 97 focusing on the Jean and Scott marriage, perhaps Marvel would be interested in adapting a married Spider-Man as well. It would also help differentiate that series from the MCU Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man show (which would likely be marketed to a younger audience than the 90s revivals.)

I don't think we'd ever see the marriage era in a revived Spectacular unless they did a significant time skip.
    I'm kind of torn on whether I'd be fine with them jumping into TAS Peter being a dad with a kid.

Though I guess I'd prefer that to the idea of them trying to throw Miles into the TAS continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of torn on whether I'd be fine with them jumping into TAS Peter being a dad with a kid.

Though I guess I'd prefer that to the idea of them trying to throw Miles into the TAS continuity.
    They could do something with Mayday/Spider-Girl from the future. I mean, the series finale already had Spider-Man traversing alternate realities, so why not a little time travel to let him know that things ultimately work out between him and Mary Jane? Hell, the plan for a Season 6 if it had been greenlit was to have Peter find her stranded in Victorian England, with Cletus Kasady running around there and then as Jack the Ripper, which would explain in that version of history why Jack the Ripper was never caught.

If the 90s animated series is revisited, then....
    Aunt Anna has to mellow TF out... seriously.. annoyed me to no end..

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They could do something with Mayday/Spider-Girl from the future. I mean, the series finale already had Spider-Man traversing alternate realities, so why not a little time travel to let him know that things ultimately work out between him and Mary Jane? Hell, the plan for a Season 6 if it had been greenlit was to have Peter find her stranded in Victorian England, with Cletus Kasady running around there and then as Jack the Ripper, which would explain in that version of history why Jack the Ripper was never caught.
    That would be fun .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That would be fun .
    Certainly would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    If the 90s animated series is revisited, then....
    Aunt Anna has to mellow TF out... seriously.. annoyed me to no end..
    Indeed, though I did appreciate "The Return of Hydro-Man" pushing Peter to a point where he finally had enough of her and let her have it.

How long has Skottie Young been with Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    How long has Skottie Young been with Marvel?
    Since the 2000s