Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I think they're supposed to be white and that's just light/background reflecting off the sleeves giving them a bluish/purple hue.

Edit: NVM the sleeves look like they're supposed to be darker than the collar in the OG design. Either purple or a translucent fabric. Weird choice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    They keep saying they believe an outraged reader is an engaged reader. What if there is something to that? The Jackpot stuff always brings out the outrage in this fandom which is why I would rather not talk about it. But people can't help themselves.
    “Publicly: Even Bad publicity, is better then no publicity.” ( Ronald Reagan). That is the way their Corporate Parent Disney thinks. Take ESPN: One of their highest paid persons is Stephen A. Smith. In my humble opinion he is an arrogant douche that I refuse to watch. But there are millions of others who do watch him ( even if they disagree with him), which is why he gets paid millions. Same applies to Spider-Man. Marvel is not stupid they know just as many ( of not more) cannot stand Wells and Lowe yet they have jobs. Why? Every negative opinion is publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    “Publicly: Even Bad publicity, is better then no publicity.” ( Ronald Reagan). That is the way their Corporate Parent Disney thinks. Take ESPN: One of their highest paid persons is Stephen A. Smith. In my humble opinion he is an arrogant douche that I refuse to watch. But there are millions of others who do watch him ( even if they disagree with him), which is why he gets paid millions. Same applies to Spider-Man. Marvel is not stupid they know just as many ( of not more) cannot stand Wells and Lowe yet they have jobs. Why? Every negative opinion is publicity.
    I think that principle only goes so far. Marvel doesn't get money when people talk about product they don't like, they only get money if that talk generates interest amongst folks who are open to then engage with said product, either out of curiosity or just saying, "That actually sounds pretty cool. What are you talking about?" If all publicity equaled money, Sony wouldn't have lost money re-releasing Morbius because of the internet meme-machine that the movie became after the premiere.
    Spider-Man works in mysterious ways, Shelly. And wherever he is, he loves you.

That saying has been disproven. Bad publicity is still bad publicity. I have no real understanding as to why the people who buy ASM do so. However many they are they are also largely a silent group.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    That saying has been disproven. Bad publicity is still bad publicity. I have no real understanding as to why the people who buy ASM do so. However many they are they are also largely a silent group.
    There are several reasons why people who by continue to do so ( even if they despise the Wells run). Most obvious: They collect comics. It is much cheaper to buy 50 issues of Wells’s ASM monthly then have to buy them later ( if only to fill in a gap). 2: There are people who have subscriptions and cancelling is not easy. 2a: Getting your bi-weekly issue is a habit. As for that “Bad Publicity” saying being disproven. Yes, when it comes to certain acts ( such as those of a criminal nature). But if that was true when it comes to Marvel then Wells and Lowe would be removed.

There are several reasons why people who by continue to do so ( even if they despise the Wells run). Most obvious: They collect comics. It is much cheaper to buy 50 issues of Wells’s ASM monthly then have to buy them later ( if only to fill in a gap). 2: There are people who have subscriptions and cancelling is not easy. 2a: Getting your bi-weekly issue is a habit. As for that “Bad Publicity” saying being disproven. Yes, when it comes to certain acts ( such as those of a criminal nature). But if that was true when it comes to Marvel then Wells and Lowe would be removed.
    Yes you do have a point with that even though it's proven wrong it still lingers on. I think it's just been too heavily ingrained into public conscious, heck even as a kid me and my friends used to say it. It will linger on, just like Reganomics are still believed to work in some camps. Also with bad publicity there is still a matter of degree. ASM enjoys bad publicity but it also enjoys visibility. So while bad publicity exists and it is hurting the brand, it's not the end all of everything. There are shades of grey here and also the impossible fact that we will never know how well it would sell if it was a run who enjoyed good publicity. Or just a good run in general.

Amazing Member

Bad publicity may help gain engagement for people that already follow something, but I feel like it drives away new people from picking it up as well. So you keep most of your current readers but you aren't really gaining anything. And even with the people that put up with whatever is causing the 'Bad Publicity' eventually there will be a breaking point where they drop it. So I feel like it is slowing the bleeding, but eventually the body is going to give instead of trying to actually make things better.

"Doc" Bright (R.I.P.)
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I found this picture done by Carlos Pacheco (RIP). I had no idea he drew them. Pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    "Doc" Bright (R.I.P.)
    if this was 2017 Peter would be canceled
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Though she kind of leaned into it herself...

Peter's done a lot of things that would get him canceled.

Very true popularity is too high
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    "Doc" Bright (R.I.P.)
    I still hear Peter's narration for this page, let alone this whole comic, in the voice of Christopher Daniel Barnes. He really sold Peter's angst there.

Alas, yeah. Debra Whitman, anybody?

Very true popularity is too high
    If what happened midway through the Clone Saga at the (false) reveal that Peter was the clone all along didn't do that . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I found this picture done by Carlos Pacheco (RIP). I had no idea he drew them. Pretty good.

Is this early work from Carlos Pacheco? It says it is from October 1987, but I don't know of any work of his until about 1993 or so. If it is early work then it is very well done.