Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    The MJ and Paul stuff this week is blurgh. Truly awful
    From Jackpot & Black Cat? Why am I not surprised .

Finally get the reveal of Mj Job in the ultimate universe
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Always nice to see a positive review

Ok-Agent-9200
    I just finished reading it. For the most part it was fine to even good toward the end. It was certainly surprising because it took a turn I wasn’t expecting. Going to avoid spoilers because I know people definitely haven’t had a chance to read the issue yet…it just dropped for me like 26 minutes ago. I enjoyed it for the most part especially the second half. It moved fast with solid enough action and the art is great. Jackpots power set continues to be the gift to the writer and artist as it can be whatever they want. I will say I enjoyed it mainly for everything with Felicia, though when MJ was away from Paul, I enjoyed her role too, especially in that action scene in the preview. I still like Felicia with Amelia but I do wish she had been set up in a book before this mini. Oh, Paul actually feels like a character in this book, like Celeste is trying…it’s not working great but at least there’s an effort unlike from Zeb.

This felt more like a book with two leads. I’m definitely picking up issue 3…though I guess that doesn’t say much as I was going to anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's Paul having more of a character and personality and Mary Jane showing affection towards him. That's likely why they're upset.

I'm personally glad to see it tbh. But that doesn't surprise anyone I'm sure.

Always nice to see a positive review

Ok-Agent-9200
    I just finished reading it. For the most part it was fine to even good toward the end. It was certainly surprising because it took a turn I wasn’t expecting. Going to avoid spoilers because I know people definitely haven’t had a chance to read the issue yet…it just dropped for me like 26 minutes ago. I enjoyed it for the most part especially the second half. It moved fast with solid enough action and the art is great. Jackpots power set continues to be the gift to the writer and artist as it can be whatever they want. I will say I enjoyed it mainly for everything with Felicia, though when MJ was away from Paul, I enjoyed her role too, especially in that action scene in the preview. I still like Felicia with Amelia but I do wish she had been set up in a book before this mini. Oh, Paul actually feels like a character in this book, like Celeste is trying…it’s not working great but at least there’s an effort unlike from Zeb.

This felt more like a book with two leads. I’m definitely picking up issue 3…though I guess that doesn’t say much as I was going to anyway.
    Always nice to see reviews like this outside of the people screaming angrily into the void about a comic we know they aren't reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    The MJ and Paul stuff this week is blurgh. Truly awful
    It's Paul having more of a character and personality and Mary Jane showing affection towards him. That's more than likely why they're upset.

Last edited by Majesty; 04-24-2024 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    It's Paul having more of a character and personality and Mary Jane showing affection towards him. That's more than likely why they're upset.

Paul literally pulling the Nuremberg Defense isn’t remotely the “win” you think it is, and certainly doesn’t make him a more interesting or sympathetic character.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Paul literally pulling the Nuremberg Defense isn’t remotely the “win” you think it is, and certainly doesn’t make him a more interesting or sympathetic character.
    Yeah. I don't wanna waste too much energy today on the books I consider awful. But Paul and MJ is just gross. Not into it all. Looking forward to Paul being shot into the sun and forgotten about faster than Alpha.

Meanwhile, in another comic I LOVE that we finally get a significant appearance by Ultimate MJ. We learn her career. How she got there. And Hickman uses that to set up her participation in the three main narrative threads of the book that I suspect will come together. I'm hoping this set up is a bit first step towards bringing her into the fold and making her an integral story driver.

I loved her dialog and seeing her interactions with Super Rich Osborns.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post

Guess we're doing this now (*sigh*).

The expression "too little, too late" comes to mind.

The point of this character isn't for the audience to like them. And on that front, they've definitely succeeded. The point of this character is to serve as a temporary stumbling block before Peter and MJ get together again. The problem is they bungled the execution on a foundational level to such a ludicrous degree that I am actually shocked these people are professional comic creators.

There's also the fact that, given ASM's accelerated schedule, the main book is nearly at its 50th issue at this point in time. Nearly 50 issues (or more than 50 issues if we're counting things like the ASM annual or this spin-off mini) is simply too late in trying to make the audience care about a character it has expressed such hatred for. They should have removed this character by this point. But I guess they're waiting for the end of the run for that. (And yes, they know people hate Paul. Marvel Editorial has made jokes about how people hate Paul.)

I swear they want to make it easy for the next creative team to earn brownie points with the fandom by completely minimizing and reducing MJ and Paul to non-romantic/non-sexual. Which will be easy when they write the tamest interactions between them like this.

Can we move on now, please? I dislike the way people react to this stuff and would rather focus on stuff people are enjoying.

Ultimate MJ is fantastic .

Ultimate MJ is fantastic .
    USM is such a good comic. Hickman continues to just knock it out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't think I love it as much as everyone else does but it's a well-produced comic.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

I don't think I love it as much as everyone else does but it's a well-produced comic.
    If Peter actually did something it'd be manageable and can be called a Spider-Man comic. It's a title by any other name

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    If Peter actually did something it'd be manageable and can be called a Spider-Man comic. It's a title by any other name
    I love him talking like he's making a difference when he's barely done anything but get beat up by Shocker and beat one villain .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Also QFT.

USM was such an amazing read. So much fun to read actual characterization in a comic for once. 6160 MJ feels authentic and alive - and also closer to the established 616 MJ - than anything from ASM in the last 17 years minus a few issues from Nick Spencer.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Astonishing Member

I love him talking like he's making a difference when he's barely done anything but get beat up by Shocker and beat one villain .
    I think we’re supposed to infer that in the month(s) between the books Peter had been going out and doing his thing - Gwen talks about how he’s being portrayed in the media.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

I do wonder how often Peter actually goes out as Spider-Man and how often he spends time with MJ and the kids.