Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I think it would be an awful resolution. You don't want Mary Jane to have been coerced or mindcontrolled into a romantic relationship. That would just make the Avengers 200 comparisons even more pointed.
    Not that there are any good resolutions that I can see.
    I maintain that a clone, while still utterly horrible, would be the best possible outcome at this point. But I'm not greedy, so anything that ends this status quo without too much lingering taint will do.
    Spider-Man works in mysterious ways, Shelly. And wherever he is, he loves you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And isn't being written well.
    They don't care if something is "written well" or not as long as it sells. They only care about the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTorgo View Post
    I maintain that a clone, while still utterly horrible, would be the best possible outcome at this point. But I'm not greedy, so anything that ends this status quo without too much lingering taint will do.
    The whole run is a Mysterio illusion.

Amazing Member

As I have said before I don't see this being resolved in a way that satisfies anyone. As mentioned, mind control would have horrible implications, a clone would mean they would probably ditch the Jackpot persona, as that would imply evil Paul and the real MJ would have no reason to use the device.

I have to imagine that any plan they may have with the character largely depends on how the upcoming mini sells. As if it makes bank I doubt they would get rid of the character which leads me to believe that nothing is going to happen with MJ/Paul for the rest of the run. If the mini bombs a future writer may fix it, but I doubt there is any thought at the moment on how to do that which leads me to this it will just be a situation where a life changing event happens to a character, which we are going to ignore from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifetap View Post
    As mentioned, mind control would have horrible implications, a clone would mean they would probably ditch the Jackpot persona, as that would imply evil Paul and the real MJ would have no reason to use the device.
    The Jackpot persona is a terrible idea to begin with, quite apart from the terrible implementation. I think a clone is the least worst resolution.
    Peter wakes up and it was all a dream would be better for Ben Reilly and for the contemptuous way Kamala has been treated, but it would set a bad precedent for Marvel's use of continuity.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

I think some of you are putting far too much thought into this.

If Marvel Creators and Editorial are going to argue for the importance of "the illusion of change" and the "putting the toys back in the box mentality" that means MJ cannot be allowed to stray too far outside of the parameters that they inherited. They have to be ready to set her and Peter back up at a moment's notice.

All that matters are sales of ASM. And ASM remains one of their highest selling titles.

I have to imagine that any plan they may have with the character largely depends on how the upcoming mini sells.
    Are people making fan art or doing cosplays of Jackpot?

I think this is the real modern indicator of whether or not something has caught on in genre fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Are people making fan art or doing cosplays of Jackpot?

I think this is the real modern indicator of whether or not something has caught on in genre fiction.
    If they are I haven't really seen it. It doesn't seem to have caught on as quick as other characters and costumes have.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    ...And that they could do in some book set in the past with the same amount of “continuity is more of guidelines than actual rules” approach they want now, but with the actually younger Peter they claim they need. Not even an Ultimate-type book, just something set in the past.
    They've already done that with all those PAD mini's and even the current Secret Wars one that were set back when Peter was with Felicia.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I think it would be an awful resolution. You don't want Mary Jane to have been coerced or mindcontrolled into a romantic relationship. That would just make the Avengers 200 comparisons even more pointed.
    Not that there are any good resolutions that I can see.
    Just say "MJ" is a magical replica. Then the character will never have to deal with the taint that is "Paul".

All copies of the Wells run of ASM are laced with LSD.

If you re-read the run sober, it's a totally different story most fans will enjoy.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

The main point I think we agreed on is if the book is written well, which it is not. I said it before Wells wanted to write a Spider-Man's adventures stories not a Peter Parker/Spider-Man stories.

Marvel is a publisher company so yes they sell books that generate sells whether or the stories is good or bad. Since ASM is still there highest books, I finally stop buying them, they are continuing to go that direction of the book. Also they are some what about fan enraged and fan engaged, people are still buying it or new readers buying, because IMO they don't know the story has been told before.

Anything can be explained away, the idea of the sigil is a good one, but it was not told or execute in way that made sense. Jackpot powers supposedly use them. Wells great story ideas but doesn't translate to story telling.

My theory on how it can be explained, that Paul is a sigil created by Rabin but can't exist as real living being, so he needs MJ for some reason or the Red Lady. Peter and MJ did spend four together in that alternative world, the kids were created either by Paul or Rabin by using the sigil place on both Peter and MJ. Paul use sigil magic to alter both Peter and MJ memories, which explains the inconsistencies of early issues. Paul is not his real name, he peek other worlds and saw USM 6160 Peter and MJ and their kids, he model himself as that Peter, probably doesn't need glasses. Jackpot tech was created by Peter, he studied the sigil in order to get back home, in fact it still a prototype, he had more ideas to use it, Paul stole the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think some of you are putting far too much thought into this.

If Marvel Creators and Editorial are going to argue for the importance of "the illusion of change" and the "putting the toys back in the box mentality" that means MJ cannot be allowed to stray too far outside of the parameters that they inherited. They have to be ready to set her and Peter back up at a moment's notice.

All that matters are sales of ASM. And ASM remains one of their highest selling titles.
    Not to sound too snide but I wish I got the feeling that the guy writing it was, too.
    Spider-Man works in mysterious ways, Shelly. And wherever he is, he loves you.

Amazing Member

I just think that if they want to keep Jackpot as an option they simply can't it back in the box with all of the baggage that is part of the identify. Granted there is a chance this was always going to be a temporary thing, I just think it would be foolish for them to kill an idea before they know whether or not it is a hit.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9AlphaOmega1 View Post
    The main point I think we agreed on is if the book is written well, which it is not. I said it before Wells wanted to write a Spider-Man's adventures stories not a Peter Parker/Spider-Man stories.

Marvel is a publisher company so yes they sell books that generate sells whether or the stories is good or bad. Since ASM is still there highest books, I finally stop buying them, they are continuing to go that direction of the book. Also they are some what about fan enraged and fan engaged, people are still buying it or new readers buying, because IMO they don't know the story has been told before.

Anything can be explained away, the idea of the sigil is a good one, but it was not told or execute in way that made sense. Jackpot powers supposedly use them. Wells great story ideas but doesn't translate to story telling.

My theory on how it can be explained, that Paul is a sigil created by Rabin but can't exist as real living being, so he needs MJ for some reason or the Red Lady. Peter and MJ did spend four together in that alternative world, the kids were created either by Paul or Rabin by using the sigil place on both Peter and MJ. Paul use sigil magic to alter both Peter and MJ memories, which explains the inconsistencies of early issues. Paul is not his real name, he peek other worlds and saw USM 6160 Peter and MJ and their kids, he model himself as that Peter, probably doesn't need glasses. Jackpot tech was created by Peter, he studied the sigil in order to get back home, in fact it still a prototype, he had more ideas to use it, Paul stole the plans.
    Interesting ideas there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I just think that if they want to keep Jackpot as an option they simply can't it back in the box with all of the baggage that is part of the identify. Granted there is a chance this was always going to be a temporary thing, I just think it would be foolish for them to kill an idea before they know whether or not it is a hit.
    I think we're well away from any sense that Jackpot might be a fixture for the foreseeable future past the upcoming mini.