Page 58 of 63 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Best Spider-Man characterization in a long time! He was actually clever in the Bullseye confrontation. Whodathunk. And it sounds like we'll be getting more in upcoming issues.

I absolutely have been loving the Spider-Man aspects of USM.

Back to MJ, I think it's going to be very interesting determining whether or not Peter tells MJ what's going on, or if she's already picked up on his little mid-life crisis career change.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For me the endgoal doesn't matter if A. the endgoal seems of ill-intent and B. the execution isn't there to make it work and I feel like the relationship with Paul (and equally MJ as Jackpot) hit both. Like, the way they wrote it and how the story treated Peter and MJ, why should I care about the relationship or MJ being with this guy especially when the relationship hasn't been consistently written well? I'm a fan of relationships but not like this.

I do think the twist with Obscura was interesting and I hope Bronfman can actually do something with it.
    As do I, am rooting for her.

Well, this is Wells' Peter we're currently dealing with .
    Point taken

I at least feel like the character-work and actual characterization are pretty on-point and the relationship stuff is good and feels genuine.
    Agreed there. The fact the Spider-Man aspect is the weakest aspect stands out further, as well because the other stuff is done very well.

Mighty Member

I think it's an issue with Hickman's pacing and more telling than showing, especially because the books jump from month-to-month in real time.

Also he still has his photographer job and so the hours seem as beneficial towards that as it did 616.
    Yeah I think Hickman could do a bit more to show what's happening between issues. Even if it's just a quick one-page montage. But the month-to-month structure itself doesn't really allow the reader to appreciate Peter's growing pains and development as Spider-Man. Because we've just had a whole "month" of story without actually seeing him operate in costume.

But I've mainly been enjoying this book for the cast dynamics and the intrigue around how Hickman is telling Spider-man's origin within this new context while subverting expectations. Even if the actual Bang! Pow! stuff takes a little bit of a back seat for the time being.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-24-2024 at 05:57 PM.

Amazing Member

Don't get the point in being positive about a bad series like Jackpot & BC tbh. No clue why we need that here when USM is repping MJ far better by not having her have tender moments with someone who's committed genocide. I feel it requires a really bad grasp of storytelling to wash over that and say Jackpot & BC is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Can't really say I agree with you at all there. I think the book is pretty clearly setting a trajectory of Peter not really understanding fully the depths of the world's corruption and how he will be learning about it. I read the entire run and I don't feel at all like Spider-Man is a novelty to Peter. I feel like he's focused on ground level friendly neighborhood activities and the reality of the problems in the world will become apparent to him. The book imo is very clearly laying that groundwork.

I also think the Spider-Man stuff is very good. Peter's stakeout and interactions with Shocker and Bullseye were all highly enjoyable to me.
    I agree very much that I don't think he has a clear picture of the wider implications or severity of the world around him and the meaning behind him being Spider-Man despite the Teen Tony message, which is probably what Harry will clue him into, but despite him saying he feels that being Spider-Man is what he's meant to do...it still feels like more of a new hobby at times. But maybe that's just because he's starting out and he hasn't had the full weight thrown in his face quite yet.

As it stands it just feels underdeveloped to me. It's certainly not bad though I just don't always think Hickman's heart is quite in the Superheroics like it is for other Spidey writers.
    I think it's really as simple as people tremendously enjoying the book. You may find the Spider-Man stuff underwhelming, but I couldn't disagree more and certainly don't agree that it's of the same quality as the stuff we've got from the main book.

Perhaps you'll just write my opinion off as being a marriage fan, and you gotta do you. I think it's probably more accurate to just accept that different people feel differently about things without trying to create excuses or justifications to explain it because you don't agree.

I don't really agree most of your opinions about Paul, MJ, or Peter. But I simply believe you enjoyed something I didn't and don't really assign a bias or ulterior motive to that.
    And I'm a marriage fan that is probably a little cooler on the title than most despite still enjoying it! We come in all shapes and sizes!
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Gotta agree with you.

I do understand people wanting more "Spider-Manning" in a book entitled "Spider-Man" but I think Hickman is playing the long game here - maybe too long for some and that's okay! - but I am so happy to have a comic that makes me think and care about the world it's building and wants to establish its characters and line up them up on the chessboard first before the Big Grand Game starts - probably when Teen Tony comes back and the second arc for this book - that I'm ecstatic as a reader. I adore being treated as if I can think. I was just talking to a friend about how much fun it is to have a book that you can speculate about and come up with theories and pull in your knowledge of world history and political systems and human nature. Certainly can't do that with the current run of ASM, where the guiding narrative principle appears to be 4 minus kookaburra multiplied by water equals green sky divided by Liechtenstein.

I also think it will read a lot smoother when collected into omnibus with the other Ultimate titles and all the threads can be seen coming together to make the tapestry, but such is the life of reading month to month!
    This kind of reminds me of one of the few criticisms about Al Ewing where everyone praises his characterization, knowledge of continuity, and thematic writing but feel like his action sequences often come across underwhelming or perfunctory.

I just feel like there are certain elements of the book that Hickman is putting more focus on and his heart is into more than others. Which I guess isn't too surprising considering how little he's written standard Superhero books like one would expect from Spider-Man.
    Best Spider-Man characterization in a long time! He was actually clever in the Bullseye confrontation. Whodathunk. And it sounds like we'll be getting more in upcoming issues.
    Still waiting on him to get a solo win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Yeah I think Hickman could do a bit more to show what's happening between issues. Even if it's just a quick one-page montage. But the month-to-month structure itself doesn't really allow the reader to appreciate Peter's growing pains and development as Spider-Man. Because we've just had a whole "month" of story without actually seeing him operate in costume.

But I've mainly been enjoying this book for the cast dynamics and the intrigue around how Hickman is telling Spider-man's origin within this new context while subverting expectations. Even if the actual Bang! Pow! stuff takes a little bit of a back seat for the time being.
    It's funny how people were all in on Hickman doing data pages for the book only for him to proceed to do nothing of the sort .

Mighty Member

It's funny how people were all in on Hickman doing data pages for the book only for him to proceed to do nothing of the sort .
    Yeah I was hoping for that kind of stuff to at least help fill in the blanks for Peter and MJ's alternate history. Maybe after the end of the first arc.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-24-2024 at 08:54 PM.

I love my Hickman charts and graphs and I miss them terribly. They'll be here someday, right? Right?

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I love my Hickman charts and graphs and I miss them terribly. They'll be here someday, right? Right?
    Maybe if we are lucky, the TPB will come with some unused charts that were left on the cutting room floor or something.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Maybe if we are lucky, the TPB will come with some unused charts that were left on the cutting room floor or something.
    I need charts and graphs and data pages detailing everything. How Peter and MJ met. Their first date. Their first kiss. Their wedding. The births of their children.

The Hickman charts are part of the experience. It feels like something is missing without them.

Astonishing Member

Seriously, I just can't handle MJ staying with this Paul.

I really want this run over, but by the counts, in seems we are going to have to wait until 2027. Ironically, 40 years after "The Wedding" and 20 years after "One More Day". I hope for this to have a meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post

I really want this run over, but by the counts, in seems we are going to have to wait until 2027. Ironically, 40 years after "The Wedding" and 20 years after "One More Day". I hope for this to have a meaning.
    A lot can change in a year and fresh blood on a book. I speak from experience.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I know, but considering the anniversaries in 2027, I would really like this means the Spider-Marriage could be restored.

Please, they made Batman a father. BATMAN!! The guy who has no damn idea about parenthood because he's still a child crying for his dead parents. How is it possible they let Batman being father when he's unworthy but they make Spider-Man (they guy who deserves more than anyone) to have a stinking existence.

Honestly, I think it would be fitting for Batman and Spider-Man to switch "existences".

I wonder if MJ will be in the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man cartoon. And whether she'll be based off of Zendaya.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I know, but considering the anniversaries in 2027, I would really like this means the Spider-Marriage could be restored.

Please, they made Batman a father. BATMAN!! The guy who has no damn idea about parenthood because he's still a child crying for his dead parents. How is it possible they let Batman being father when he's unworthy but they make Spider-Man (they guy who deserves more than anyone) to have a stinking existence.

Honestly, I think it would be fitting for Batman and Spider-Man to switch "existences".
    Yeah, 2027 is three years from now. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The art was great. The content...eh.
    Oh, I hear you there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.