Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTorgo View Post
    As much as my brain goes to conspiratorial places with these things, I'm sure you're right. Their thinking will always be more transactional. Namely, "What sells more books?". Whether or not Jackpot pans out as a standalone concept that can move issues is probably a defining question for folks up there, as well as the tired notion of "Spider-Man can't be married AND be relatable! Kids won't be that!". Even if some creatives there don't like her or her being tied so closely to Peter, I have to think that if Jackpot doesn't move units and if a tied-down Spider-Man does move units, the powers-that-be can be swayed. Some of them, at least.
    I moved to "conspiracies" because I don't see the logic in the Spidey office, approving a concept for the next run, where they (once again) treat the characters horribly with ridculous stories that don't make sense, when for 4 years Spencer gave us not only one of Marvel's most famous couple back, but also they were written true to the source material, as well as having decent/good stories and adventures, which brought readers back and increased sales. This "enraged fan = engaged fan" tactic has gotten old and laughable together with the "Spider-Man growing up, getting married and wanting to start a family is not *relatable*" type of thinking. They are simply "biting the hand, which feeds them" for the sake of select few to have their personal preferences to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTorgo View Post
    I also imagine they might have been taken aback by the degree of the backlash to this Paul stuff, too. Heck, even if the break up and getting together with Paul were a more gradual thing that didn't feel so cruelly done RIGHT as Pete and MJ were about to move in together, it STILL would have been tiresome. Eventually, will-they-or-won't-they has to be resolved. Heck, by the end of Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 2, I had the feeling that folks were tired of it and that took up much less time than the comics. Adding the other issues with Paul and everything, it easily made a lot of people upset, regardless of whether or not they were planning to "put the toys back in the box".
    It would be tiresome if it was always like during Slott's run, but at least in would also be expected. As I said before, the "husband and children" that they put on MJ (out of nowhere) for the break up was a step way too far, which (as expected) blewed up in their face spectacularly. And what's even worse (IMO, of course), when they have to "clean their mess/clear the board" for the next team, they'll make it very unsatisfying - expecting a "sweep it under the rug and never sepak about it again" type of thing. Like if someone blows a hole in a wall and then has cover it with paper on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    "Sex sells", what can you do?
    *Looks at all the fuss on Tifa’s bikini reveal*

You might be right.

Women of marvel issue didnt have anything significant about Mj. She and Gwen was in the first story with Mrs.Fantastic. The next story she was in a vision from Madam Web
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    "She's also Black Cat..." huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Women of marvel issue didnt have anything significant about Mj. She and Gwen was in the first story with Mrs.Fantastic. The next story she was in a vision from Madam Web
    I like how she was just herself in the first story and not Jackpot .

Also in Gang War I guess Zeb Wells really just likes her firing purple energy blasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Also in Gang War I guess Zeb Wells really just likes her firing purple energy blasts.
    All Wells has her do with the Jackpot powers are weird energy powers. At least MacKay and Bronfman have tried to do something vaguely interesting. It seems pretty clear to me that MJ as Jackpot was not Wells' idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    All Wells has her do with the Jackpot powers are weird energy powers. At least MacKay and Bronfman have tried to do something vaguely interesting. It seems pretty clear to me that MJ as Jackpot was not Wells' idea.
    "Vaguely interesting" indeed. I don't think they've really capitalized on the powerset(s), such as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Vaguely interesting" indeed. I don't think they've really capitalized on the powerset(s), such as it is.
    When all's said and done, I'd be really interested to know what the behind-the-scenes story was on the Jackpot thing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member

MJ was wasted in this mini…here is her ex being brutalized and she is making jokes and never once checked on Peter…I am done with this version of MJ…

Quote Originally Posted by twobit View Post
    MJ was wasted in this mini…here is her ex being brutalized and she is making jokes and never once checked on Peter…I am done with this version of MJ…
    What mini are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    What mini are you talking about?
    I think they mean Gang War as an event.

Quote Originally Posted by twobit View Post
    While she, the newest hero, takes on the "heavy hitters". None of it appeals.
    Spider-Man works in mysterious ways, Shelly. And wherever he is, he loves you.

It's gonna be funny if Wells has to rush through a reconciliation. It'll be just as half-assed as the rest of this run.

Meanwhile Ultimate Spider-Man 1 is getting a fourth printing.

Isn’t it weird that we have a “MJ as a superhero” story and Peter is hardly involved? After all the issues and their history now MJ gets to see how it is on the other side and Peter is a footnote in that story. No going over the ropes, reflecting on safety, priorities in battle, sharing lessons, or just sitting down and talking about this change. Something that would actually be new ground for them that Marvel hasn’t nixed.

Instead we have Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Isn’t it weird that we have a “MJ as a superhero” story and Peter is hardly involved? After all the issues and their history now MJ gets to see how it is on the other side and Peter is a footnote in that story. No going over the ropes, reflecting on safety, priorities in battle, sharing lessons, or just sitting down and talking about this change. Something that would actually be new ground for them that Marvel hasn’t nixed.

Instead we have Paul.
    For the life of me I will never understand why they pushed it like this. I am actually blown away how they kept making terrible decision after terrible decision with this when it would have been so easy to get the audience invested.

This is their entire "an enraged reader is an engaged reader" mindset in action.

Meanwhile Ultimate Spider-Man 1 is getting its fourth printing. And it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the last.