Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I think that I'm in the minority but I'm more interested in the Jackpot story than Ultimate Spider-Man.
    likewise I wanna know if she can sell without Peter
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Technically she did with the amazing Mary Jane. If you have a good enough premise with a good writer it can sell well . The writer is decent so far but the premise is very lacking with little info so far

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm just morbidly curious to see if they can pull it off at all, though I am definitely more excited for her role in Jonathan Hickman's Ultimate Spider-Man.

Same here, I couldn't care less about 616 MJ right now, sadly. While the concept of MJ wielding an Omnitrix-type device a la Ben 10 is intriguing on some level the baggage of Paul and how we got here turns my stomach, and I'm all for a superhero version of MJ. Thanks, Marvel Editorial.....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

She can’t, especially in this market and with this premise.

If they were confident she could sell without Peter I feel like they wouldn't immediately be trying to pair her with Felicia agian.

Honestly, at this point, and I know how hard this sounds, but I would like to move beyond the cynicism. I know Marvel doesn't make it easy sometimes, but I think this all gets to be a little much.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If they were confident she could sell without Peter I feel like they wouldn't immediately be trying to pair her with Felicia agian.
    Agree, I am okay if Marvel wants Mary-Jane and Felicia has some form of friendship. But if they wanted Jackpot succeed they should hit the ground running not wait months later for a series to come out. If they wanted her not connected to Peter, why does Spider-Man shows on her covers or homage to Spider-Man covers.

The Amazing Mary-Jane showcased when she can do without powers, Bronfman said in an interview that MJ is adapted, which was the case in that book.

Her Superhero origin story is a mess. New readers will be confused when they pick up this book, because other media have show MJ and Peter in a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by 9AlphaOmega1 View Post
    Agree, I am okay if Marvel wants Mary-Jane and Felicia has some form of friendship. But if they wanted Jackpot succeed they should hit the ground running not wait months later for a series to come out. If they wanted her not connected to Peter, why does Spider-Man shows on her covers or homage to Spider-Man covers.

The Amazing Mary-Jane showcased when she can do without powers, Bronfman said in an interview that MJ is adapted, which was the case in that book.

Her Superhero origin story is a mess. New readers will be confused when they pick up this book, because other media have show MJ and Peter in a relationship.
    I know I said I wanted less cynicism, and I stand by that, but I think this post gets to the heart of the problem with everything.

It's too convoluted.

I have no idea how or why Editorial allowed it to become so convoluted, but I would implore people to step away until cooler heads prevail. Just for all our sakes.

Edit: I do want to add that if people are interested, let them be interested.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 01-02-2024 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm just morbidly curious to see if they can pull it off at all, though I am definitely more excited for her role in Jonathan Hickman's Ultimate Spider-Man.
    I think that the reason that I'm more interested in Jackpot is because I'm not really all that invested in the Peter/MJ marriage. I didn't really get into the Spider-Man line of comics until well after the marriage ended. I read other comics. So the current state of the Spider-Man comic doesn't bother me the same way that it does long time fans.

The way the method to end the marriage was still retarded. I'm not religious and even I knew the Mephisto idea was dumb.

As for Ultimate Spider-Man I like Hickman but I haven't read nearly every thing by him. One criticism of him that I see pop up a lot is that he doesn't handle romance character work very well. Or maybe it just doesn't interest him. I don't know the entire premise of what Ultimate Spider-Man is about, but it may not end up being great for Peter/MJ if the writer's rep is true and holds up.

I hadn't thought of that and now I'm interested to see how this comic sells

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe they aren't confident in Felicia either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I think that I'm in the minority but I'm more interested in the Jackpot story than Ultimate Spider-Man.
    I'm interested in both, more so Jackpot. But I am sure Ultimate should do well if the people that have been clamoring for it(some more toxic than others) support it.

Jackpot the persona may not make it past this run. Since it's based off a watch the most likely scenario is the watch gets slightly damaged with her fight against Electro which could make the rolls she gets more unpredictable and then we also have the 3 skulls issue. Which will be the end roll for the run to either sacrifice her powers to save Peter type deal

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Technically she did with the amazing Mary Jane. If you have a good enough premise with a good writer it can sell well . The writer is decent so far but the premise is very lacking with little info so far
    She was Peter girlfriend at the time of that run
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I know I said I wanted less cynicism, and I stand by that, but I think this post gets to the heart of the problem with everything.

It's too convoluted.

I have no idea how or why Editorial allowed it to become so convoluted, but I would implore people to step away until cooler heads prevail. Just for all our sakes.

Edit: I do want to add that if people are interested, let them be interested.
    If superpowered MJ somehow sticks around, it's pretty much the last straw for the series. It may as well be a DC book at that point. It's been losing its identity for a while now . . . even if there are good stories.

But if I'm getting the same types of stories I get from a Superman or Bat title, why am I making Spider-Man an appointment to read?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    If superpowered MJ somehow sticks around, it's pretty much the last straw for the series. It may as well be a DC book at that point. It's been losing its identity for a while now . . . even if there are good stories.

But if I'm getting the same types of stories I get from a Superman or Bat title, why am I making Spider-Man an appointment to read?
    Technically Gang War has Peter as a secondary character in his own run so you're technically paying to not even read about Spider-Man at all

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Technically Gang War has Peter as a secondary character in his own run so you're technically paying to not even read about Spider-Man at all
    I bailed on this run a while back. I'm just waiting it out. So, if Marvel gets all this superpowered MJ nonsense out of their system by the end of the run, and the next team does something I'm interested in, no problem.

But if the book turns into Spider-Man, Aunt May, JJJ, and the league of Peter's extraordinary friends . . . it's essentially a children's cartoon.