Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

I don't mean to be a debbie downer or a cynic but I feel like the handling of this deserves to be called out and as an MJ fan I just don't feel well-served.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Maybe they aren't confident in Felicia either.
    Well, Felicia was able to hold a solo and a few mini's at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I bailed on this run a while back. I'm just waiting it out. So, if Marvel gets all this superpowered MJ nonsense out of their system by the end of the run, and the next team does something I'm interested in, no problem.

But if the book turns into Spider-Man, Aunt May, JJJ, and the league of Peter's extraordinary friends . . . it's essentially a children's cartoon.
    That's basically just been the last few Spider-Man cartoons.

I'm sure if the 2017 show had continued they would've probably given MJ powers and a costume as well because they couldn't help themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If they were confident she could sell without Peter I feel like they wouldn't immediately be trying to pair her with Felicia agian.
    A valid point.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I bailed on this run a while back. I'm just waiting it out. So, if Marvel gets all this superpowered MJ nonsense out of their system by the end of the run, and the next team does something I'm interested in, no problem.

But if the book turns into Spider-Man, Aunt May, JJJ, and the league of Peter's extraordinary friends . . . it's essentially a children's cartoon.
    Indeed, how they've handled Peter and his supporting cast during this run, including the further infantilization of everyone to teen drama level, has hurt the character so much that for me Peter dropped from my second favorite superhero to my fourth favorite and I might be too generous with his current ranking. I'm completely apathetic towards OG 616 Spidey, his supporting cast, and his world now. It feels like there are no stakes anymore whatsoever and that I've literally read every major storyline already with all the conceptual repeats. The book is loaded with cheap wacky gimmicks and nothing of substance. Sorry for venting.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer or a cynic but I feel like the handling of this deserves to be called out and as an MJ fan I just don't feel well-served.
    I think USM will serve some of us with what we want.

As for MJ in 616. I just can't help but think about the movie WarGames.

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

(Maybe I'm the most cynical of us.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think USM will serve some of us with what we want.

As for MJ in 616. I just can't help but think about the movie WarGames.

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

(Maybe I'm the most cynical of us.)
    I mean, it's basically the issue with 616 in general.

Peter's not in a good place right now. MJ's not in a good place right now. It looks like Ultimate Spider-Man might alleviate some of that but on some level you still want better for the versions you got invested in in the first place.

I mean, it's basically the issue with 616 in general.

Peter's not in a good place right now. MJ's not in a good place right now. It looks like Ultimate Spider-Man might alleviate some of that but on some level you still want better for the versions you got invested in in the first place.

That's what they count on. Outrage = engagement = sales.

To quote WarGames again.... "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

Astonishing Member

To quote WarGames again.... "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."
    Given Brevoort recently complained about fans not wording their opinions nice enough (this was a few months back after NYCC), I'm guessing he meant "Enraged fans when Marvel controls the narrative = sales".*

In theory, if there are enraged fans but Marvel controls the narrative, they can always spin that as "they're mad because we're doing something bold/new", blah blah blah. And that could potentially attract new readers.

But if Marvel loses control of the narrative like with Wells' run, that's no longer the case.

*(I'm not saying that Marvel for sure would make money baiting people as long as they can control the narrative. I'm just guessing that that's probably how Brevoort sees it).

What a sad reality. No one wins here. Not marvel, as that is clearly not a suistanable model. Who keeps buying a product long term on outrage?

Neither does the reader/fan. As the runs we recommend that people might get into comics by are failed runs. Tell a potential reader "Check out this run. It's great. Marvel will never again try something similair though".

I also find it hillarious that comic fandom should basically accept: Don't complain if you buy it. Only if you don't buy it you have a right to be disapointed by this run. The sheer stupidity of it all.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    What a sad reality. No one wins here. Not marvel, as that is clearly not a suistanable model. Who keeps buying a product long term on outrage?

Neither does the reader/fan. As the runs we recommend that people might get into comics by are failed runs. Tell a potential reader "Check out this run. It's great. Marvel will never again try something similair though".

I also find it hillarious that comic fandom should basically accept: Don't complain if you buy it. Only if you don't buy it you have a right to be disapointed by this run. The sheer stupidity of it all.
    This is also a very old graphic

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

For me the reason I buy comics is to read story of my favorite characters, to escape into their world and enjoy it for a brief moment. I want to read how they overcome challenges, figure out mystery and how to fight a better tomorrow. I am not buying something that will make me miserable, I will go somewhere else, play a video game, read a young adult novel and/or watch a preschool of said favorite characters. Comics Spider-Man, as I have said it before now bored me, it is predictable and no consequence, it more about Spider-Man's adventure and non of Peter's life, which is the important part on why he is doing it. If I want to read about Charlie Brown, I'll read the Peanuts.

You find it hilarious, I find it damn annoying - *If we complain, "enranged" means "engaged" for them and they think that works. If we don't complain, then they think that nothing is wrong and they'll continue with the direction.*. Another example is "Why are you complaining when you bought it? And if you didn't, why are you complaining?" They actually believe that they'll win no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    You find it hilarious, I find it damn annoying - *If we complain, "enranged" means "engaged" for them and they think that works. If we don't complain, then they think that nothing is wrong and they'll continue with the direction.*. Another example is "Why are you complaining when you bought it? And if you didn't, why are you complaining?" They actually believe that they'll win no matter what.

This thread is going to be weird when more Jackpot stuff comes out, I'll tell you that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    Cause they have won
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

You keep posting the quote, okay, but I have a question -

Have you stopped buying 616 Spider-Man comics? I'm curious because I'd say buying the comics is engaging with the product on a higher level than complaining about the direction. After all, Marvel doesn't have any of my money in their pockets for 616 Spidey. If you have, that's great. If you haven't, I'll keep complaining whenever I see something stupid and/or disappointing happen in 616 as posted here or elsewhere. Heck, I might complain either way because it is a product I once loved and shank lots of time & cash into that is, frankly, crap now. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-02-2024 at 09:11 PM.